No announcement yet.

Who hates the Blues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:53 PM.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

blues is fun to play and listen tooif your bored by it you havnt heard good people playing it SRV kicked arse

Comment

I like the blues. The blues has basicly influenced most modern forms of music but that also goes both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
          "Middle-aged white guys (MAWGs) playing the blues has been a pet peeve of mine for quite a while"

You mean someone like SRV?
          Thank you!

Blues is a style. Nothing more, nothing less. Emotion, facial expression, passion... it can all be real for anyone if they can feel the music. And that level of feeling is different for everyone. In my small but active mind I define music as emotion induced through sound. Some sounds make me happy, make me want to move, sad, angry, strong, or maybe even a little nausiated (that last one is pop and hip hop mostly).

If you have the talent to play the sounds that can illicit that "blues" feeling in yourself, then you have the right to call yourself a blues player.

And for the record, blues doesn't have to make you feel sad, or "blue". Sometimes it makes you feel fantastic. Sorta like, "Damn, it felt good to get that off my chest!"

Comment

I am a little bit turned off to blues bands right now. Every friggin' biker party or get together I go to has some blow hard in a stetson blowing a harmonica into a condensor mic through a 50 year old tube amp and it is killing me.:ROTF:
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

What's with Blacks and Blues? The original blues players took their lives and made music about it. They lived in horrible condtions and used music as a release and an escape. The bottom line is that even white guys can play the blues if they have the feelings. However, there is nothing worse than "sterile" blues no matter who plays it.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

My father loves the blues..his favorite music..

without the blues rock and metal would never existed..

I don't "hate" the blues..I just don't listen to it, play it , or relate to it..

I do love "hot rodded" Blues based players..Like SRV, Hendrix, Frank Marino, Gary Moore, and alot of shredders such as EVH , Dime and Zakk Wylde..but that not "real" blues..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

whether its blues, heavy metal, or any other form of music...there will always be people who "feel it" and others who just try to cop the licks...whatever works for each is good for them...personally i try to "speak" regardless of what style i am playing in...let personal experiences and emotions come thru in the playing...thats where one finds their "own voice" i believe...and it's one of the hardest things to accomplish...i find it hard to grasp the concept of picking up a guitar and wanting to sound "just like *insert any famous guitarists name here*"...as someone earlier stated its not the instrument, its the player...that being said...if trying to play just like jimi, eddie, randy, or stevie ray is one's bag and what they enjoy...i applaud them for it...different things work for different people...as far as the blues?...well...david gilmour is a middle aged whiute guy who does a damned fine job...srv was as well...i dont dislike the blues...but i'm not too keen on sitting thru 40 bad versions of the same solo either...lol...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

d.m. hit it on the head there! I love to hear a GOOD, inspired blues player, but a succession of superficial, awkward hacks on an open mic night can be ugly. You have to give everybody positive reinforcement but the sad thing about that is that they come back next week! Tey to give constructive criticism and you'd be seen as judgemental, so you suffer in silence. Well, they're paying you, so why shouldn't it be like work that way?

And that idea, too, applies to all forms of music. The good stuff is wonderful to hear, the hacks are a chore to listen to.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

these discussions always remind me of that great quote: "writing about music is like dancing about architecture"
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If You Like Fat Women"
                        Written and Performed by CeDell Davis

I say, if you like fat women
                        Come on down to Pine Bluff, Arkansas
                        I say, if you like fat women
                        You know, [there's] more fat women down there
                        Than any place I ever saw

You know what, I--was messin’ [with a] woman
                        I had to have help
                        She fell across me
                        She liked to [have] mash[ed] me to death, now
                        If you like fat women
                        You know there’s more fat women down there

She said now, lookie here, baby, you know I love you so
                        I grabbed my cap, you know I headed for the front door
                        If you like fat women, come on down to Pine Bluff, Arkansas

I met that woman
                        She weighed about 200 pounds
                        I said, the only way you’d get me, baby
                        You sho’ [sure] gotta run me down
                        If you like fat women, come on down to Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Now dems da blues baby,, Oh yeah,,,,
                        Last edited by FusionFarmer; 10-27-2006, 05:34 PM.
                        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

"Retards in every genre".Good one,Newc.............
                          Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Oops - I guess I didn't phrase that too well - I like blues music, just some of the stuff around it can be strange:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node...7&special=2000

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28739

2 of my favorite albums (records - I'm a MAWG) growing up were BB King albums, which brings up another question:

How come none of the MAWGs play BB King licks, it's always the speeded up SRV stuff? When I used to go to blues jams I used throw in some BB Kingish licks (on my Les Paul ha!) but I was the only one.
                            Last edited by tanpsi; 10-27-2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I hate people who hate the blues....ooops....I worded that wrong sorry :ROTF:

Comment

I don't like the st Louis Blues, or st Louis in general
                                I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                                X