I guess my guitar's a long time coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess my guitar's a long time coming

I bought a 25th anniversary on Ebay... and overnighted the seller a cashiers check. And, he just told me that it's not being shipped until he is certain the funds clear. He'll let me know when. I checked with my bank - they said "he can just cash the cashiers check at his bank if he wants, it's certified funds."

I have a feedback of 168 transactions on ebay, with an approval rating of 99.4%. Most of my transactions for guitars/amps/parts etc.

He said to me "If you send me a money order I'll ship immediately." And today he said "Hey - I said a money order, not a cashier's check."

Is it just me, or is that really lame?

Hmmm, does he have to provide ID to cash the check? Could be a problem there. Either that or "someone" is watching his bank account for activity.

Or he's a douchebag. Was his name Don Billingsley? :ROTF:
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

He's probably really paranoid about CCs; maybe he read this:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, but if he was paranoid, why would he ask me for a money order? They're both equally forged.

I originally offered a personal check. He said he would prefer a money order, overnighted, and he would ship immediately. I guess I screwed up sending the cashiers check overnight, but it seems lame to me.

Really bummed. Hope I get the guitar. Technically he could hold it for 6 months, 'cause you never know how well a criminal like me could forge those routing numbers. It could be shipped all over the world before it comes back bounced.

Lame.

From the link you (RacerX) posted:

CarBuyingTips.com Rule Of Banking Physics:

A bank draft, a cashier's check or a money order is a worthless piece of toilet paper until it CLEARS from the issuing bank.
        Last edited by Mickey_C; 10-20-2006, 01:46 AM.

Comment

A cashier's check is like sending cash, since when you purchase the check at the bank, you PURCHASE it.. means that the money is taken from your account immediatly when you recieve the check from the bank. So its just like sending cash. Its alot different then a personal check.

Comment

Originally posted by Erez View Post
            A cashier's check is like sending cash, since when you purchase the check at the bank, you PURCHASE it.. means that the money is taken from your account immediatly when you recieve the check from the bank. So its just like sending cash. Its alot different then a personal check.
            Except that in this country they are very commonly forged. You deposit the CC, it "seems" to clear, then it comes back when the issuing bank rejects the forgery. Then your bank comes back to you for the funds.

I didn't click on Ron's link, but it probably pertains to that. When I Ebay I insist on either Paypal, or a USPS POSTAL money order. You can cash those at any post office and they are unlikely to be forged as compared to a bank money order or cashier's check.

Unfortunately, you can't be too careful these days.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have experience here. Seems that my bank started a new policy a while back about money orders and cashiers checks. This is what they say....because these types of payment can now be cancelled by the sender we have to wait until they clear to release the funds......strange to me too but hey that's what this world has becaome....a bunch of people out to fuck you outta money so I guess he is just covering his ass as I would

Comment

One good thing about Postal MO's they will cash em now right at the post office, once you get your cash you're home free,,I recently did a $1500+ guitar transaction and the buyer sent 2 Postal MOs (must be under 1000) and the girl at the post office just whipped out a stack of C notes,
                Last edited by FusionFarmer; 10-20-2006, 10:02 AM.
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Yup. US Postal money orders are probably what he meant. Even if the PO doesn't have the money to cash them, they can tell you right away if they are legit.

Bank checks take a while.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

US Postal Money Order is the singular most forged instrument in circulation now.

But anyway, wouldn't you think that if he was saying he would take a money order from me, that he would be fine with a cashier's check? I mean, we're talking about somebody here (namely me) with pretty damned good ebay feedback.

I just don't get it.

Yesterday I sent him a link to the county assessor's office, for my "parcel" , by the street address, which shows the owner (me) and the current tax assessment on the property, which is the address I requested he ship the guitar to, and it clearly shows my name as the owner. I told him - "wouldn't this seem to indicate that it would be pretty easy to send the cops over if I was sending forged bank instruments through the mail?" If he was going to hold the funds, he should've just requested a personal check.

I got no response whatsoever. Personally, I am starting to think I was the one scammed. This is why I love paypal. I've done over 150 paypal transactions and have never been burned a singular time.

Comment

Dude, he asked for payment in a specific form, you gave him payment in a different form, and now he´s taking a bit extra time to make sure he´s not the one getting scammed. Absolutely normal in every way, rule one of selling is to not ship until you have the cash in your hands. Never, anywhere, to anybody, even if it´s your freakin´ mother and she lives in the same house.

Sorry, but I honestly see no real reason for discussion here.... The question I would personally ask is "Why did you send him a Cashier´s check when he specifically asked for a Postal MO?" .... and that alone says everything

When people can´t or don´t follow clear and concise directions properly, I KNOW there´s going to be problems with the sale in 99% of the cases... Unfortunately "Buyer can´t read directions" is not enough grounds to annull the auction and resulting duties of both parties. I honestly wish it were
                      Last edited by Zerberus; 10-20-2006, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I can understand your frustration at having to wait to get the guitar, but this guy is just covering his ass. I've had this happen to me on a few occasions with money orders, cashier checks and USPS money orders. The fear of chargeback and being scammed is justifed, in my opinion.

Stay cool - you'll have a killer guitar in your hands in a few days and the frustration of waiting will be forgotten. Unless the guitar arrives in pieces.
                        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Most money orders are done thru a third party and take up to 10 days to clear. He could confirm the CC with a phone call or by taking to his bank and having them do it..

Comment

A lot of cashiers checks can have stop payments put on them as well as bank money orders. They are NOT 100% guaranteed funds. A lot of legitimate bank issued cashiers checks and money orders look like they were printed with a bubble jet and that's why they are so often forged. About the only thing I treat as cash is a US Postal Money Order.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey_C View Post
                              US Postal Money Order is the singular most forged instrument in circulation now.
                              With the exception of US currency, but the forges are easily spotted if you look for the security features.

The best way to identify a genuine postal money order, postal service officials say, is to look for the telltale watermark, which, when held up to the light, should reveal an image of Benjamin Franklin. Genuine postal money orders also have a security strip running alongside the watermark, just to the right. If held to the light, a microfiber strip will show the letters "USPS" along its length.
                              I check every single one that comes in.

Comment

Working...
                              X