Have you ever found out.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever found out.....

...that you're better than you actually think you are?

I was hanging with a friend's band tonight, and they were just messing around. My bud handed me a guitar and said "play something".

I haven't played with a band since 1991 but I figured what the hell.....I started I can't wait to feel your love tonight by Halen...and the rest of the band kicked in ...including the singer which was cool that he knew the lyrics....and note for note through the rythym (not that tough) I was cranking it....I hit the solo spot and just started freelancing cuz I didn't really know the solo note for note but had a good feel for the tune, and the other guitarist (my bud) stopped.....the basist stopped....those two and the singer were watching me and the only one to keep going was the drummer.....I had to carry out two more rythym parts before the rest of them kicked back in....I felt kinda dumb but kept going to finish the song...

When the song was done I was like "sorry if I fucked you guys up cuz I can't really hold a beat, didn't mean to mess up the song on you guys" they were like..."DUDE!!!! that was fuckin AWESOME!!!! It was just like Eddie....but ......COOLER!!!!"

I didn't really know what to say, but really appreciated the compliment, and was glowing the rest of the night.

Just was a feelgood moment...yaknow?
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Wait untill you play (what you think is top notch playing) and someone else whether at the party, back stage, gathering of some sort, picks a guitar up and just blows your doors off. Back to the woodshed you go. It works both ways man.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Congrats, bombtek! It's a great feeling!

I did get similar comments at my gig Sunday...
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanx Ron bro....was that at your impromptu gig you posted about with your bud? If so ....glad it went well.........and Soap...Geez man how to bring a guy down. I KNEW it wan't top notch playing LOL...now I won't get into another band tilll 2011 LOL
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Yeah it was! I gotta post more info & pics on that thread, so check it out...

Really, Soap: Thanks, Captain Bringdown!
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I can remember a band practise, a few years back. We were blasting through the set list as usual, but bored during one of my predictably clunky pentatonic-box hack solos, I decide to throw a couple of shapes into the equation. Obviously, the planets must have moved into alignment or something at that moment, 'cos my guitar played this insane Paul Gilbert style meedly-meedly-meedly lick, while I just stood there and watched it happen. The rest of the band stopped, and shouted, as one voice, "What the FUCK did you just play???!" Of course, I have no idea what the fuck I played, and I've never managed to play anything like it since.

Comment

Yeah I hate when that happens

I can play Iron Maiden solos and all the riffs from Powerslave if I'm half asleep, but it sounds like crap if I'm concentrating on it

Congrats on the glow, BT
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's a great feeling isn't it! The day I bought my first Jackson Strat I had one of those experiences, in the Guitar Centre Hollywood. People were coming across the store to compliment my playing, it was dream-like.
                Of course, that guitar WAS mine after that.
                Someone took a pic of me leaving with it, and it looks like I have just shot my load, all relaxed with a lazy dribbly grin.

Fucking thing must have got damaged on the way home, it's never made those sorts of sounds since! Ah well. Like the man says, soak it up, someone will be along shortly to make you feel like building a guitar bonfire and take up drumming!
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Ya it's a strange feeling when you see another guy blow your doors off!!
                  I love admins!

Comment

I constantly have people telling me I am a "great" guitar player...I know different. Usually it's younger guys that havent played for long. I tell them it's just "Smoke & Mirrors" (I'm gonna write a song with that title some day). I tell them it's more about technique, and knowing how to hide your mistakes than it is about theory or talent.

There is nothing like being in the zone though...especially the first time you jam with a particular band. When everything just clicks...nothing like it. I try to never play a solo the same twice. Learning to do 50% improv, and 50% scripted material has made me a better player. It keeps things interesting too.
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

A buddy of mine got married last weekend. I kicked it with some air guitar during a song out on the dance floor. Down on my knees for the solo, and then pulled it behind my head for even more flash. People told me it looked awesomely realistic. :ROTF:

Note: Champagne in the limo and 5 hours of open bar will do this sort of thing to 'ya.

Comment

cool story mate

Comment

Originally posted by jjw View Post
                          cool story mate
                          who, bombtek's or shreddermon's?

it was a good story, BT. You must've felt like Marty McFly when the rest of the guys dropped out.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                          X