Any vintage audiophiles here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any vintage audiophiles here?

Picked up an interesting piece at a garage sale over the weekend.

It's a General Electric RP 1155A Stereophonic phonograph (record player for all you young'uns)

All I know is it's from between 1961 and 62. It's in great condition except it's missing the stylus cartridge (barrel type) It's power/pre section is 1 5V3, 2 1187A's and 1 12AX7 all USA GE tubes!
    Fold out speakers (Jensens)

I bought it for peanuts, but I suspect it might be worth a handful more once complete, and cleaned up a bit more. It's got that wonderful vintage smell...and also the smell of dust burning off the tubes when you power it up! sniiiiiiiiffffffffffff! Good stuff!

Hit me back if anyone has heard of this particular model.

Oh yeah...it's also 95 watts. Wonder why it needed that kind of power way back then?!?!
    Last edited by VulfgangPfuck1; 10-18-2006, 12:20 PM.

I'm not familar with a 1187, what tube is it similar too?

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
      I'm not familar with a 1187, what tube is it similar too?
      Sorry...I read the tiny print on the label wrong. I never took the tubes out of their sockets either, but looked inside to see they all lit up without overheating.

They are 7189A's , and they are the US counterpart to the Russian SOVTEK EL84 M (according to one website, they are the exact same tube)

The Russian version of these tubes are drying up, and the US 7189's are pretty much "extinct" now.

Comment

A PI or preamp, a two el84's and a rectifier tube,.. that rig won't likely would not put out more than 18-20 watts.
        Not sure what the 95 watts is either. Would make a decent little guitar amp project tho.
        Last edited by charvelguy; 10-18-2006, 03:05 PM.

Comment

95 watts on the label

I'm not even sure the Jensen 8's (4 of them wired in series) would even take that peak without frying the coils. Headscratcher fer shure, as is the entire unit.

Comment

Working...
          X