Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm goin to NEW YORK NEW YORK, where to go???? ideas please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm goin to NEW YORK NEW YORK, where to go???? ideas please!

Okay

So My g/f and I are taking our first REAL vacation and we are going to new york. My g/f is an author, and she loves what she knows about the city so that is why we are going. We are staying at the Algonquin hotel on madison ave.

What I want to know is where are amazing places to go, and where are places to stay away from?
    We are NOT into the club scene, but we would love to see a good jazz show, we also are going museum crazy and to most obvious tourist spots, however I don't want to go to all the typical spots.

what are some of the best places to eat, she won't eat at hole in the wall type places, where as I really don't care, so I want good reccomendations

whatever advice you can give would be awesome!

thanks guys!

Chris

I go to NYC all the time. I am sorry I can't be of any help though. I go there to go to the bars and to eat. The hole in the wall joints have some of the best food. Stella Pizza on 9th & 17th. Awesome.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Can't help you with the food, but make sure to "casually" stroll by 48th Street and go "well, whaddayaknow, look at all the guitar shops...let's go in!"
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I'd recommend seeing the Radio City Music Hall, just to know Dream Theater played there. Also, across from the Radio City Music Hall is a microbrewery called the Heartland Brewery. Wonderful food, and I mean absolutely delicious. The beer is also exquisite, especially the oatmeal stout.

Cheers,
        Nick

Comment

I lived in the NYC area back in the day.

for restaurants, first thing you hit town, go to a drugstore and pick up a Zagat guide. all the good restaurants are listed in there with customer comments. call early for reservations anywhere you go.

as for fun stuff,

1. take a carriage ride through Central park. the carriages queue up at the S end of the park, by Broadway and (I think) 55th St.

2. catch the ferry to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty (some people enjoy this kind of thing).

3. hit the Natural History Museum at the E side of Central Park.

4. check what shows are at The Beacon and any other rock/jazz clubs you can find (pick up a local free paper at one of the music stores on 48th St for more info on what's going on).

it's been too long since I been there, but it's a fun city of you have the cash and the energy.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Stay at the Palace hotel for a night, in "the Towers" if you can, go down to Greenwich village- check out all the cool shops, washington square park, 8th street, any pizza place you may happen to walk by, go to McSorley'S Old ale House, catch a Ranger game at the garden since the yankees are out, hit the theatre, make sure you check out all the bands on Bleeker street if they're still there, 48th street is overrated, and make sure you Eat at Taormina's in Little Italy on Mulberry Street, anY cabbie or limo driver will know, also eat at the wo-hop in chinatown, eat at the Green street cafe on , of course, Green street, it's fukkin' awesome, go to smith and wollensky's, Peter Luger's, The Palms, Check out sheeps meadow in central park, the band shell there in the park, behind the bandshell-lol, and Tavern on the green in central park as well, this is merely a squirt of piss, there is so much to do in that city, and here's the best part, - As long as you don't shoot a police officer, you can talk your way out of anything. you cannot get in trouble, it's impossible. I tried for 23 years unsuccessfullyy, and then moved out here. So much more, just don't have the time to tell you. Have a killer time. BB King's Blues Cafe is fun too in times square, , the limelight is a wailin' club, CBGB's, not my hangout but you might like it, sorry I gotta go, you'll find plenty to do.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I think CBGBs is now closed, isn't it? just recently?
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

McSorley's for GREAT ale, Lombardi's for Pizza. Catch a show if you want, do the whole Times Square thing, if you guys like ice skating you can try Chelsea Piers.
                Of course, Central park is nice around this time of year.

A Metrocard will save OODLES compared to cab fare...

Comment

Dude... I so want to goto this place....

http://www.ninjanewyork.com/

-Nate
                  Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

CBGB's closes this Sunday and moving to Las Vegas. If your looking for good Jazz shows. Every Monday night, Les Paul plays at the Iridium

http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com/

Some other good jazz sight would be;

http://www.bluenotejazz.com/newyork/schedule/index.shtml

http://www.villagevanguard.net/frames.htm

BB Kings has some good shows also; Here's their sked;

http://www.bbkingblues.com/

I really want to get down to the Iridium before Les Paul dies and have him sign my pickguard for my Gibson Les Paul.

Enjoy while your there
                    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Alot of great advise above. I went for the first time earlier this year. Ground zero was a must see on my list, and the john lennon "imagine" memorial in central park. The dakota is right across the strett form that. You'll have fun no matter what you do, but just watch out for the cabbies!!

Comment

The Grand Central Oyster Bar. One of my favorite eateries.
                        We must!
                        We must!
                        We must increase the bust!
                        The bigger the better!
                        The tighter the sweater!
                        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

+1 for McSorley's in the Bowery area. I haven't been in that place since the early 80's. Do they still have the 100 year old dust on the Chandelers(sp)? When you ask for a beer, they give you 2. A beer is 2 mugs . I think the taps are connected to hoses that come up from the basement.
                          Yeah, my dream is to catch Les Paul. He plays regularly in town. He lives in Mahwah, NJ the last I heard.
                          +1 On the Museum of Natural History. I've been there many times.
                          Eating-Any place that has Pizza is on , list! Pretzels on the street corners are a plus for snacks.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

ground zero would be one of the first places I'd visit. Just to stand there remembering what it was like before and how it looks now would be an experience
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                            X