Resume question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume question

I'm going to a job fair tomorrow and I'm wondering if this is a good Job Objective.
    It has to be general since I'm going to be dealing with many companies so I picked this one.

Objective
    To work with people and/or technology to solve business side objectives.

I don't know if objectives should be in there, let me know what you think.

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:48 PM.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

I think it needs to be more to the point of what you are looking for. I know when you are first starting out in the business world you'l take anything but you need to know what you are looking for.

Comment

To general.

Comment

If you don't really have much job experience, you might want to put something about gaining experience in a business and technology environment. Something that tells them you will work hard and are looking to learn from the experience. That's the type that is a keeper to a company, because they want to feel that you're going to stick around and bust ass on their behalf, since training is expensive.

So, if you can incorporate those concepts into your objective statement I think it would be helpful.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

You know, I've always found the "objective" section to be pointless. Most employers dont give a rats ass what your "Objective" is, hell, everyone has the same objective, to get a job, nothing more, and nothing less.

The problem with the "Objective" is that its overly subjective. Too general, or non-existent, and the prospective employer might think you dont know what you want and skip your resume. Too specific and the employer might skip your resume if it doesnt fit a position they currenlty have available.

Here's an article I found on the "objective" I didnt really scruitnize this, so buyer be ware, so to speak.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Resume-Obj...r-You?&id=6447

Good Luck,

Steve
            Guitars:
            '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
            '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
            '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
            Amp:
            VOX AD30VT

Comment

I don't care for objective statements much. Either I laugh at them because they are so bad or I ignore them. Education and experience are much more important.

I got one resume that had an objective reading "To apply for an engineering position..." I thought...objective met...you applied.

Comment

I've looked over a lot of resumes in my career. Think about what you are trying to achieve with the resume. If you break it down, your resume is your one opportunity to represent your skills and accomplishments. Be proud. Write as much as is significant. A lot of folks will tell you to keep it as short as possible. That's bad advice in my experience. Just make sure the first page catches their attention. Use white space. Don't play buzzword bingo.

Don't put anything on your resume you don't want to ever do again either. I learned that one the hard way - my resume will never say I can program in COBOL again.

And most important of all, do not bullshit on your resume. If you did it, say so. If you didn't, don't try and pretend you did. It's comical how many people I have interviewed over the years that say shit like "10 years C++ programming" and can't describe a virtual method. Or the folks that say "Expert Windows developer" that can't write a lick of Windows code and they are interviewing with me on the Windows team - did they think I wouldn't catch on?
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

"My objective is to search for an employer that will recognize my talent in (fill in the blank) whose business model with my skills will make it a better company." And if that doesn't work. " My objective to get a fucking job. Give it to me!!!!!!! "
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

"I don't care for objective statements much"

I agree with Stinkbug. Most objective lines come off sounding fake, phony, contrived and appear to be space filler.

But if you absolutely have to have one, I like Fett's idea.

And, actually, JB, Rich, TxFury, Lerx, UFO and the Hipster have some good points too. You got to feel comfortable and confident in it I think.
                    Last edited by Hyperfuzz; 10-06-2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      I've looked over a lot of resumes in my career. Think about what you are trying to achieve with the resume. If you break it down, your resume is your one opportunity to represent your skills and accomplishments. Be proud. Write as much as is significant. A lot of folks will tell you to keep it as short as possible. That's bad advice in my experience. Just make sure the first page catches their attention. Use white space. Don't play buzzword bingo.

Don't put anything on your resume you don't want to ever do again either. I learned that one the hard way - my resume will never say I can program in COBOL again.

And most important of all, do not bullshit on your resume. If you did it, say so. If you didn't, don't try and pretend you did. It's comical how many people I have interviewed over the years that say shit like "10 years C++ programming" and can't describe a virtual method. Or the folks that say "Expert Windows developer" that can't write a lick of Windows code and they are interviewing with me on the Windows team - did they think I wouldn't catch on?
                      Good advice Tim. I just spent the last few weeks pouring over resumes for five positions I am hiring for. If you lie I on your resume I will know once I start talking to you. If you put down that your an expert I will ask expert questions.

I don't care for objectives too much but if you do use one make sure it's not so general. Make it specific and have people review it. Don't write it like your posting on the Internet in public forum. Grammar counts and having coherehent sentences is a must. If you write like a hick I'll toss your resume, no questions asked.

If you do include a cover letter, and you should, make sure it's to the point and not a one liner. Don't write 'Here is my resume for your review.' Write a real cover letter. It's your chance to sell yourself and state what you can bring to a company. You can have a great resume but if you include a cover letter that's a piece of crap you can easily be overlooked.

Good Luck!
                      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X