Buzz Feiten tuning system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz Feiten tuning system

What is it? Do any of you have it? Does it work? Is it a pain to tune a guitar with this system?
    Thanks

ED Roman say's http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/buzzfeiten.htm

Comment

I have it on my washburn x50. you don't tune any different. the nut is moved a little from where it is on most guitars. I think ESP does it too but calles it something different. Sounds much better.

Comment

It's a system that attempts to fix the guitar's inherent tuning problems by moving the nut slightly. It sounds better if your ears are sophisticated enough to tell when notes are just slightly off. I've got perfect pitch and don't care for it, I like my guitar as it is and I'm not doing shit to em.
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          I have it on my washburn x50. you don't tune any different. the nut is moved a little from where it is on most guitars. I think ESP does it too but calles it something different. Sounds much better.
          ESP calls it Earvana compensated IIRC
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I can see the advantage of it but I compensate when I tune so that my guitars sound pleasing to my ear, slightly flat on B and high E on the meter is pleasing to my ears. If it really bothers someone else they are welcome to pay for the Buzz or Earvana install on my guitar!
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

My N4 has it, and I can't tell that it makes any difference to my ears. All it amounts to is moving the nut a tiny bit closer to the first fret, so in my eyes, it isn't changing anything except open string tuning. Once you are on a fret, the distance from there to the nut doesn't matter anyway, right? It's just something else to sell.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I used to be really crazy about gettin the guitar to be totally in tune everywhere all over the neck. Then I realized, making a guitar as precise as a midi kinda steals the charm and coloring of the guitar's tones. Besides, I can usually compensate with a sweetened tuning.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Ya know, I hate when someone is playing one of my axes, and they stop every 2 minutes and dick with the fine tuners. Before you know it, the whole guitar is badly out of tune and they blame it on the guitar. The real problem was with their playing technique to begin with. Especially when one string may go out of tune a millionth of a semitone...and instead of naturally compensating for that with fretting technique, they start retuning all the wrong strings to compensate....before you know it, the whole fucking thing is a train wreck.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                    ESP calls it Earvana compensated IIRC
                    Nope, Earvana and Buzz Feiten work on similar principles but are wholly different companies and patents. Earvana is IIRC designed to be tuned "regularly" while BF uses a compensated nut and slight tuning and Bridge offsets when used correctly. BTW those "Buzz Feiten Tuners" really do make a difference when using BF if you don´t have a Petersen and know the offsets by heart

Though I´m a licensed retrofitter for electrics, I personally don´t care for either, especially in a band setting where the others aren´t using it. If everyone in the band wants to use BF then it makes sense for me to follow suit, but even in my work with keyboards I find simply tuning correctly to be much more effective (The actual "correct" tuning for better tempering is offset by a few cents, though not as much as BF).

Ironically, BF kind of "screwed up" the temperament when looking at it from a purely mathematical standpoint, but the way the tunings are offset there negate the detriment and return the instrument to more or less roper intonation, which is why the system works after all.

A buddy of mine from England did a huge writeup on all sorts of alternate tuning methodss as well as tempering systems. I´ll see if I can find it somewhere....
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 10-02-2006, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X