Rhode Island Fire Farce...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
    Wow, so many f-ed up things here. Why is there even flamable insulation on the market to begin with? Why did the nightclub use it? Did they know they were using it?
    They used packing foam instead of soundproofing because it was cheaper. Proper soundproofing is supposedly more fire retardant but this stuff they say a lit cigarette could have set it off instantly.

I would not be surprised to see some vigilante justice come out of this. There are a LOT of relatives who have every right to seek revenge - not legally, but morally. These clowns got away with mass negligent homicide.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

These guys are responsible for the deaths of 100 people, and they're allowed to plea out, and NO Jail time, thats not justice. Whats worse is that anyone who retaliates against these guys will likely end up getting the max for their, "crime", if that were to happen.
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

To me the judge is as bad if not worse than anybody here...

Comment

Families take out frustrations on judge
          http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs....57/1003/NEWS02

Memorials at the site
          http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...ticleid=159961

Civil case brewing
          http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp...5&nav=menu29_2
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

List of quotes from family members:
            http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=74409&rfi=6
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What I'd like to know before we send the club owners off to the gallows is whether they did the work themselves or, as would nearly 100% of all business owners, relied on a contractor. If I owned a nightclub I'd use a contractor and I'd listen to the contractor's recommendations as to what materials should be used. As tragic as this situation is it's *ENTIRELY* possible (quite probable IMHO) that the club owners had no idea about the danger.
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I still have mixed thoughts on this situation. Was it really the club owners fault this happened? Was it true that they had a permit from the local fire department after an inspection of the building? Are all night club owners expected to be professionals in pyrotechnics, or did they rely on outside sources to tell them whether it was safe or not? Wouldn't the guy actually lighting the shit off be expected to have some knowledge of building codes, insulation types, ceiling heights, ect.? I've heard so many stories....I'd really like to know the absolute truth before I would send a couple of dumbass club owners to prison just for trying to provide a great show for their patrons. I also read one story where it was claimed that the club owners were'nt aware of, nor approved any use of pyrotechnics for that or any show. Is that true?

In the small town I live in, there is a HUGE fireworks display every year. It is approved by the township, and funded by local businesses and other donations. A professional company is hired to do the show, and they are expected to do it safely, and properly, based uopn their reputation and experience in pyrotyechnics. If one year, something went wrong and they burned the whole town down....who would be at fault? Would everyone who donated money or otherwise supported the show go to prison? Would we hold the company getting payed to do the show liable? or what????
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                  I still have mixed thoughts on this situation. Was it really the club owners fault this happened? Was it true that they had a permit from the local fire department after an inspection of the building? Are all night club owners expected to be professionals in pyrotechnics, or did they rely on outside sources to tell them whether it was safe or not? Wouldn't the guy actually lighting the shit off be expected to have some knowledge of building codes, insulation types, ceiling heights, ect.? I've heard so many stories....I'd really like to know the absolute truth before I would send a couple of dumbass club owners to prison just for trying to provide a great show for their patrons. I also read one story where it was claimed that the club owners were'nt aware of, nor approved any use of pyrotechnics for that or any show. Is that true?

In the small town I live in, there is a HUGE fireworks display every year. It is approved by the township, and funded by local businesses and other donations. A professional company is hired to do the show, and they are expected to do it safely, and properly, based uopn their reputation and experience in pyrotyechnics. If one year, something went wrong and they burned the whole town down....who would be at fault? Would everyone who donated money or otherwise supported the show go to prison? Would we hold the company getting payed to do the show liable? or what????
                  It is not true that the local fire dept gave permission or ever did an inspection....which raises the question of why there was never a more in depth inspection. Well in order to do that it would take ungodly amounts of time as there are hundreds of clubs in the area.....which leads to the fact of due dilligence of the club owners

1. The band needs permission to do Pyro stuff.
                  2. The brothers need to approve this kind of action by the bands
                  3. The brothers need to have a fireproof facility in order to do so.
                  4. the fuckers should have not skimmped and bought cheap ass flammable insulation for their club....PERIOD!!!!

It is impossible for any organization.... in any state to inspect every inch of a buildings material to deem it safe for a fire. Some responsibity has to be with the club owners.......trust me they are fucking jackasses (rich ones) who were just looking to make a buck and keep their expenses down. Would you put flammable insulation around your paint booth just to save a buck knowing that your house and your family might go up in flames? Judging by your posts and your friends here.....I would say that answer is NO....the brothers involved here......not so much. They fucked up and bought their way out of it......They will burn in hell Picture 100 people......fighting for their lives while a fire burns them....bodies piled up at the exit....inches from their safety....but they all just burn to death. I had friends in there who experienced the whole thing. Shame on anyone who questions the innocense of those fucking club owners

Comment

I lost a High School friend in that inferno. Hell of a guitar player too! RIP-Scott
                    Last edited by Predator1; 10-01-2006, 09:01 AM.

Comment

It is the responsibility of the pyrotechnician to make sure (read: visually verify) the club owners have had a thorough inspection by the fire marshall. Anyone - especially a fireman - who thinks it's "impossible" to inspect "each and every" building thoroughly has the wrong job and needs to either stop watching the clock and worrying about whether an inspection is going to run into overtime, or go work at McDonald's, because that's where lazy slackers belong.

If the club owners produced a fake certificate, or did not have one at all, and/or simply stated "yeah we had an inspection last month, we can do pyro" without written proof, then they are as guilty as the gunmen at Columbine. If the pyrotechnician knew they didn't have a permit/inspection certificate and convinced them "it's just a small pot, nothing major", then he deserves as much of the blame as anyone.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thank you Matt.

The bottom line is, hell we have to have someone to blame huh? I guess the club owners are at the top of the list for some reason, so let's burn them at the stake, right? The real blame was put where it belongs in my opinion, the guy that lit the fire.
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne View Post
                          What I'd like to know before we send the club owners off to the gallows is whether they did the work themselves or, as would nearly 100% of all business owners, relied on a contractor. If I owned a nightclub I'd use a contractor and I'd listen to the contractor's recommendations as to what materials should be used. As tragic as this situation is it's *ENTIRELY* possible (quite probable IMHO) that the club owners had no idea about the danger.
                          You can bet that if a contractor had done that work we would have heard about it and that contractor would be front-page news. They probably went themselves or had an employee, like maybe a bouncer who wasn't busy during the day, go get the cheapest insulation they could find. Neighbors complained about the volume and they were looking for the cheapest solution.

The club owners and the band share responsibility for failing to get a permit specifically for the pyro. A fire inspector coming out and making sure exits are marked and extinguishers are charged is NOT the same as inspecting on a pyro permit. In that case there's a permit for EACH show and the inspector will make the pyro tech fire off the same stuff he will use in the show. That means twice as much costly pyro ammo is used, plus the permit cost. Many clubs and bands blow off the permit as a cost-cutting measure. Well, the Station fire is the result of cost-cutting - no permit and cheap ultra-flammable insulation were the fatal combo.

The owners bear primary responsibility, then the pyro tech. The pyro guy is in prison and the owners are getting off easier than he is. That's not right.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I live 3 and a half miles from where the Station was and have been in there to many times to count. I have a friend who still undergoes skin graphs as he gains and losses weight,and was alive under a pile of bodies at the doorway when he was rescued. I have lived here my whole life so none of this surprises me in the least.This is easily one of the most corrupt places in the country and most people who live here would agree with me.There is sooo much blame to go around here it is crazy.The club was indeed inspected post wall covering. which was done by employees and a club friend who lived near by and owed them some money.Not only was a flammable packing mat used but then they adhered sparkles all over it for looks, using a spray on glue which was no doubt flammable.
                            There is no doubt in my mind that the DA was involved however being an elected official has to deny it.I believe that this deal was made so that the town would be kept as insulated from liability as possible and living here as long as I have I am not at all surprised by this.The club was full way beyond capacity,The building was so unsafe with the back exit unlit the mats on the walls the overcrowding.They had no permit to use the pyro and so many more things that I am sure I am just forgetting because the info overload here is incredible.The jackass lighting the Pyro had no idea what he was doing...the club owners cut costs and way oversold the venue and the city of West Warwick allowed this tiderbox to exist(public saftey is their concern)...how you dole out that responsibility I dunno. I just know that the families of victims will never get the kind of closure they deserve and that is sad.Now there was some talk about designing a memorial park where the Station stood but I guess there are land ownership issues.What really gets me I guess is that the families get smashed in the head and then at their last chance to speak they are basically muzzled.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceace View Post
                              This is easily one of the most corrupt places in the country and most people who live here would agree with me.
                              i do agree with you space ace.

Comment

Lots of opinions here, which is cool, but I certainly wouldn't be making generalizations about the validity of our justice system upon speculation.

Comment

Working...
                                X