Tool live - unfrickinbelievable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool live - unfrickinbelievable.

So, on Saturday, I saw Tool in Toronto. It was my second time seeing them, the first time being around 7 years ago IIRC. I was expecting a certain level of entertainment excellence, based on the previous experience, and I was utterly blown away.

I don't have much to say about the musicianship. It's Tool after all, and of course they were absolutely dead on all night, and sounded amazing. Maynard has a very strong voice (especially for such a tiny dude), and was also pretty much perfect.

The stage show/light show, was another story entirely. The whole stage was white, with a white 8 foot wall behind the band. Throughout the show, all kinds of video clips, and psychedelic patterns were projected accross the stage and wall. The band were basically surrounded by these weird undulating patterns, and were mostly in sillouette. As the show progressed, other elements were added, such as lasers, smoke machines, and lights arranged in patterns across the backdrop. The lasers started out pretty tame, and progressed to the point that during one song, the entire stage was cris-crossed by lasers coming from above and below. It looked like a mesh forcefield. You could barely even see the band. There were also 3 circular fixtures that came down from above the stage, and had several colored lights on them that rotated and whatnot.

I have honestly never seen such a fantastic show in my life. Best concert EVER!!!!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Great review, zeegs. I'll second what you say about Maynard's voice - he sounds much bigger than he is. I wish they'd come this far east.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

cool Zeegs, I want to see 'em too.

BTW. Tool is a funny band, all the fans talk how artistic they are, and that they are only for the music blah blah blah. But Maynard lives like a true rockstar, he bangs groupies like a real champ. I mention that everytime I see a Tool fan
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
        The stage show/light show, was another story entirely. The whole stage was white, with a white 8 foot wall behind the band. Throughout the show, all kinds of video clips, and psychedelic patterns were projected accross the stage and wall. The band were basically surrounded by these weird undulating patterns, and were mostly in sillouette. As the show progressed, other elements were added, such as lasers, smoke machines, and lights arranged in patterns across the backdrop. The lasers started out pretty tame, and progressed to the point that during one song, the entire stage was cris-crossed by lasers coming from above and below. It looked like a mesh forcefield. You could barely even see the band. There were also 3 circular fixtures that came down from above the stage, and had several colored lights on them that rotated and whatnot.
        The first time I had a chance to see Tool, I unfortauntely ended up with a preferated eardrum and was not able to make it. The last time, they were just as you described. And the videos that they were showing were pretty much mind blowing. It was a hell of a show. Their drummer (Danny Carey?) is about one of the best drummers I have ever seen live. Just a wall of odd signature sound. It was badass.

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Wow Zeegs!
          Just. Wow! I'm so glad you got to go!

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
            So, on Saturday, I saw Tool in Toronto. It was my second time seeing them, the first time being around 7 years ago IIRC. I was expecting a certain level of entertainment excellence, based on the previous experience, and I was utterly blown away.

I don't have much to say about the musicianship. It's Tool after all, and of course they were absolutely dead on all night, and sounded amazing. Maynard has a very strong voice (especially for such a tiny dude), and was also pretty much perfect.

I have honestly never seen such a fantastic show in my life. Best concert EVER!!!!
            told ya.
            Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              cool Zeegs, I want to see 'em too.

BTW. Tool is a funny band, all the fans talk how artistic they are, and that they are only for the music blah blah blah. But Maynard lives like a true rockstar, he bangs groupies like a real champ. I mention that everytime I see a Tool fan

Really? I thought I'd heard somewher that he was gay. Maybe I imagined it.

Comment

dude, even Metal Sludge talks about him, lately they wrote how Maynard has given up searching for a true love and that he has chosen to have only casual sex, when they are on the tour, he has a new chick every day.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

yeah I saw Tool for the first time at Coachella this spring and they were very good.

however, it all sounds the same to me after about 7 - 8 of their songs, and then I get kinda bored, or uninterested is a better word I guess. great band for what they do though.

I guess the whole hide-the-band-in-the-effects thing is kinda their thing.

I liked Massive Attack, who played before them as pre-headliner, better overall.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

interesting about maynard - i thought he was heading for the peaceful life...they took a 2 week break from their tour so he could finish making his wine from his CA vinyard.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      dude, even Metal Sludge talks about him, lately they wrote how Maynard has given up searching for a true love and that he has chosen to have only casual sex, when they are on the tour, he has a new chick every day.
                      That's awesome. Good for him.

He's my new god.

Comment

I have seen them 6 times and am going again tomorrow.....best live band ever!

Comment

seeing them for the first time tomorrow...
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                            seeing them for the first time tomorrow...
                            Where r u sitting...I am in section 4... I'll keep a look out for you

Comment

Did somebody say Tool?
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqQbQYhnJs&NR

-a

Comment

Working...
                              X