No announcement yet.

Test drive, WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You "Name" says it all.:ROTF: :ROTF: Any car that smokes for any reason deserves, at least, a 20% reduction in the price. Because it will cost, at least, that much to fix it. You did say project so whine about the smoke and maybe he'll knock down the price.:ROTF:
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
      Is that right next to the muffler bearings?
      :ROTF: Ya beat me
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A compression leak down test can tell you if either the block or cylinders are cracked. That and if the block is cracke you would see oil in the coolent.

Comment

If the guy claims to know what is causing the problem then he can fix it before selling it. The fact he hasn't suggests it might be more serious. Cracked blocks and head gaskets can sometimes be easy to determine, sometimes they can be more elusive. If you aren't a mechanic, take one with you to check out the car.

Comment

Yeah but the problem is (as usual) the guy selling the car hasn't a clue what's causing the problem. The last person you want to ask for advice on a car repair is the salesman selling you the car! He will always make it out to be something cheap and simple. Then after you purchase the car, and take it to a real mechanic....that's when you get the bad news.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope189
              I don't know guys, all the cars I've dealt with, oil burns blueish, coolant burns white. I'm not arguing, just telling you what I've seen with all the cars I've dealt with.

Cheers,
              Nick
              Well "cheers" to you too Nicky boy, but that is not an accurate statement. If the oil is being burnt in the combustion process, yes, it will most likely be "blueish" out the exhaust. If coolant is burning in the combustion process, it will actually be "STEAM", not "smoke".....which will appear "white" out the exhaust. "Smoke" (or steam) coming from within the engine compartment could be either "Smoke" or "Steam", depends on how well you're ability is to tell the difference. I've seen leaky valve cover gaskets dripping oil on the exhaust manifold producing a "white" or "grayish" smoke.....it isn't ever "blue" in this case, but it's definitely not "steam" because it doesn't dissapate as quickly as "steam". On the other hand, if coolant is leaking on a hot part (exhaust manifold for example), it can also appear as "smoke", but it will have a very sweet smell, and you'll notice that it will also dissipate very quickly (due to the evaporation rate as compared to "oil")

So, in other words, take it to a mechanic and have it checked out. Asking for this kind of advice on a guitar forum may just be the wrong place to ask.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope189
                I don't know guys, all the cars I've dealt with, oil burns blueish, coolant burns white. I'm not arguing, just telling you what I've seen with all the cars I've dealt with.

Cheers,
                Nick
                You're right. Oil burns bluish.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                  White smoke is burning oil... anti-freeze burns with a blue-ish white smoke.
                  Sounds like the valve cover or head gasket is leaking onto the exhaust.
                  Run a rag around the valve cover and the head gasket... look for fresh oil.
                  If it's a valve cover gasket, piece of cake... if it's a head gasket, forget it and take a pass. You'll have to pull the whole top of the engine off to fix it.
                  There's no tell tale signs for a cracked block short of visual inspection.
                  There is of course the full on split in a cylinder wall or water jacket, but that would be totaly obvious.
                  My first thought was head gasket too. You would think if it were antifreeze he would be able to tell by the smell though.

Hell, seeing that it's a Mazda, it's probably just the tranny pucking it's guts up through the vent tube.

As stated before...test drive it to your local tech and have him check it out for you. Remember, right now you don't own the "problem". Don't buy it and assume it's a minor problem. Realistically, if it were "just" a minor problem then it stands to reason that the current owner would have went ahead and fixed it. Obvious unfixed problems always make my "your going to own someone else's problem" alarm go off.

Yeah, I'm a Murphy's Law guy when it comes to vehicles.

Comment

Run Forest... RUN.

Comment

It could be the disconbobulator valve thats connected to the johnson rod housing. That could be drippin off into the hot intake of the control stem actuator conductor. Which would result in the blueish whitish greyish steam smoke.
                      Gil

Comment

Working...
                      X