I want to go. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to go. . .

For a bike ride! Dammit, for the past 2 months I've been very consistent in going for an 8 mile bicycle ride every morning (provide no t-storms) in an effort to get back into shape. I started back to school last week and it has just thrown my bike time all to hell. I ALWAYS bike (for cardio) in a fasted state (i.e. before breakfast) but it's rough doing that before I have to go to class. I have to read roughly 500-600 pages of shit per week for class and I spend most of the evenings reading/writing.

I've lost over 30lbs. of weight since ~ July 10th and I attribute a large part of this to biking. I hope my progres doesn't stall now.

Sorry, just had to rant. . .

Congrats Brad. Just keep at it bro!
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Congrats on the weight loss. Cycling never made me lose any weight and it's my second favorite physical activity ; only walking and dancing do it for me.

Comment

Cycling rules!

I just biked another century this last Saturday.

And here's the photo I stole from the organizer's website

-a

Comment

why not ride your bike to class?

Comment

Do you enjoy running? I know it's harder on your joints, but running will give you an equivalent workout to bikeriding without taking up so much time. My bike rides are around 2 hours...so if you can cut that down to a half an hour run, you could still burn calories and lose weight without needing so much time before class.

Cheers,
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by bonghits
              Congrats Brad. Just keep at it bro!
              Thanks Mike. I'll get it done one way or another

I can't believe some of you guys ride over 100 miles in one trip. I get sore riding that far on my motorcycle!! ;D

I can't run. I already have problems with my knees and especially my left hip. I average ~14.5mph on varied (paved) terrain on my mountainbike for 35-40mins without really getting too tired (70% of my Max Heart Rate) but I literally cannot jog for more than 5mins or so until I'm agonizing in pain in my joints. I try to push myself hoping that the issues in my joints are just due to under utilization but they don't seem to be getting better. I've tried taking chondroition (sp?) and glucosamine (sp?) msm supplements and they've helped somewhat but I still cannot endure the stress of running/jogging. I don't encounter this problem while riding a bike. . .

Also, riding to class isn't an option. My sweat....umm.....stinks and I live around 12 miles away from campus (oneway) so I'd arrive drenched in stinky sweat ;D . I'm considering ordering a stationary bike trainer so I can pursue biking (albeit in my garage) during the winter/school months.
              Last edited by Thrust; 09-11-2006, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I completely understand your joint problems while running...I'm probably just young enough to forego any of the major ones, but I've had surgery on my knee already from a soccer injury, and knee problems are just a thing in my family. Mountain biking is a lot of fun, and you'll get a good workout going as fast as you do. Does your school have a gym? I know the gym on my campus has some trainer bikes, as well as elliptical machines that many people work out on and read their books at the same time.

Cheers,
                Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope189
                  I completely understand your joint problems while running...I'm probably just young enough to forego any of the major ones, but I've had surgery on my knee already from a soccer injury, and knee problems are just a thing in my family. Mountain biking is a lot of fun, and you'll get a good workout going as fast as you do. Does your school have a gym? I know the gym on my campus has some trainer bikes, as well as elliptical machines that many people work out on and read their books at the same time.

Cheers,
                  Nick
                  Yeah, I'm sure they do somewhere (I go to PSU). I may try to check on the availability of the elipticals. I've used them in the past and they're awesome and don't bother my joints. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X