The Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Media

I'm bored and want to start a fight. The media has broken down to nothing more than the purveyors (sp) of sound bites; incomplete information; personal opinions masked as "News" ; "Specials"; "Alerts"; and all that other crap. The information we get is so washed and distorted that it makes me sick. Hype this and hype that. It doesn't matter whether there is a foundation of facts. What ever happened to just "giving" the news and the facts? I know I am old but I remember when the newscaster could say: "That's the fact!! Jack"
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Oh yeah ???

(as the fight ensues ...)

Comment

Don't really see what there is to argue about.
      99% of the news we see is sensationalist speculation at best.

That Karr pervert is all over the news for the last week. Meanwhile some Arab guys mows down 13 people in San Francisco in his SUV, and it barely makes a blip on the news for a few hours.

Fox News reporters are kidnapped in Iraq, and forced to convert to Islam at gunpoint. They are released, and have yet to denounce their conversion to Islam or say anything negative about their captors. In the news? Look for it yourself. I'm sure you'll find plenty of articles about how Israel is the root of all hostility in the Middle East.

-a

Comment

Come on you guys. There has to be someone out there that thinks the "Media" is just grand. I am taliking about what the average Joe Blow sees on TV. I know for a fact that this board has a bunch of smart people. What is it about the media that doesn't seem quite "right"? Where do you get your news? Or am I just pissing on the paper.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
        Last edited by fett; 08-30-2006, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I always try and get as many different sources as possible when it's something big, like the Iraq war.

TV has about 0% true news value, sure it's cool to see things happening live and whatnot, but that's sensation and rarely do they ever scratch the surface on anything.

If D-Day was to happen tomorrow, you can bet your ass there'd be newscrews out there on the beaches to film the thing before the first allied soldier set foot aground on a beach.

Our national state tv channel is fairly good and has some good critique news shows.

EVERYTHING in the average media is manipulated and distorted nowadays. The culpabilisation of Israel in pretty much every article is a good example of this. If I want to get true insight I'll read some academic papers and report on the issue, and compare them to each other, because even they can be riddled with bias and disposition.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

You guys get different news that we do, as was pointed out in Bowling For Columbine. (Not that I want to side with Moore for any reason.) Your news is sensational and scares the hell out of you. You guys are even scared of Iran and their nuclear wessels.................

Comment

I, being an enlightened insomniac, listen to NPR until they start patching into the BBC. That's at 1AM PDT. It's a different way of getting the news. The only News I watch is our local news at noon. I live for "Meet the Press" and the "McLaughlin Report". Me, I'm not scared of anybody. What scares me is how the media can "hype" something to magnify it way out of prespective and proportion.

Comment

(I hate the news! The only song I ever wrote. There's more to it.)

spreading vicious rumors
                spreading vicious lies
                all your propaganda is to keep the fear inside
                Im afraid to change my channel
                from CNN to MTV
                cause I might not get the info on the type of duct tape that I need.

Comment

From living all over the world I've learned that every country has a media that sucks up for those in power. And every media is good at showing how awful the other guy is, especially if the other guy isn't a friend.

That being said, the US is definitely not getting the footage of Iraq that everyone else is seeing. I mean we can get it (I can see it on satellite TV) but the major networks aren't showing anything.

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I think the BBC news is pretty good. CNN, MSNBC and especially FOX, are disgusting.

However, nothing is more disgusting than network evening news. I can't watch it anymore. Aside from the terrible "coverage" the commercials make me insane. Nothing but prescription drugs I don't need, and retirement investments.

It is entertainment, nothing else. The fact that a decent old school newsman like Bob Scheafer is being replaced by a moronic bubble gum blonde like Katie Couric on the CBS Evening News about sums it up.

Disgusting.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Ok fett, I'll play your silly little game
                        Everything on the news is real and correct...so there!

Comment

People who complain about the accuracy of the news are just pissed because it ain't what they want to hear.

Meanwhile, the media are trying to guess what the audience wants to hear and presenting it as news.

Ah the wonderful world of spin. See what all this relativist bullshit gets you...
                          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                            "...and then the pot calls the kettle black."
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: Film at 11.

Comment

Working...
                              X