Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding something

Hi gang. I'm sure someone here can clue me in on this:

I'm looking for a lighted inspection surface. That's the only way I can think of to describe it. Basically it's a box that can be flush-mounted into an inspection table and provides a lighted surface. I've seen these on drafting tables and in various other industrial settings (microprocessor manufacturing, and photographic uses) but they're always ginormous. Online searches have yielded very little results for me.

What I need is a sheet metal or aluminum box with a surface about 6"x6" square or a round flat top that is 6-8" across, and has an easy-to-clean lens on it.

The top and the bulb can be frosted or clear, as long as it's fairly easy to change either part to the opposite format without having to Newcenstein it.

I'd prefer halogen or super-bright LEDs for longevity and clarity over a normal house-type bulb or flourescent bulb, but like I said, if it can be changed out, that's good too.

Aside from building this myself, where can I find such a beast for under $100?

I need this for work, BTW, as an experiment, not for personal Newcensteining

Thanks
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

I have never seen one that small,Newc.Usually they are table top size and the majority use fluorescent lamps(incandescent and halogen create too much heat).You might want to try a camera shop,though.
    Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Why not build one?
      Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

How about a overhead projection screen or an old microfiche machine?....
        Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Originally posted by Reverend Timmy
          How about a overhead projection screen or an old microfiche machine?....
          I suppose I could scavenge an old overhead projector for the light arm.

But it would be more ergonomic (i.e. not in the f'n way all the time :lol) if it was built into the existing inspection table, and the surface was sturdy enough to press the part onto and flex it (it's rubber) so the inspectors would not have to strain to see into a dark hole, or miss a critical flaw that would end up costing us as much as the tire issue did (I work for Firestone).

Hmmm. How about a par can modded to accept a MagLight halogen bulb with a Lexan cover? Heat's not a problem - the parts are inspected hot. Plus it would make cleaning easier since it would melt any rubber residue enough to scrape it off the cover.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

How about a coffee can and a 40 watt(appliance) bulb? That would be small enough to not be a pain in the parking spot,yet reflective enough to vent the bottom for heat.One of those clamp on work lights,cut the plug off the end,drill a hole in the coffee can,replace the plug.Lens material to your discression....
            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Working...
            X