Fusion songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion songs

Hi, I am getting into some fusion stuff like Frank Gambale, but I don't no alot of good songs in the genre. Can somebody recommend some songs for me to learn?

the anthem of fusion

Allan Holdsworth with Tony Williams band - Proto Cosmos
    Last edited by Endrik; 08-23-2006, 01:28 AM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I can't think of any songs off hand, since I never have a cd case handy when I'm listening to fusion. But I can recommend some stuff to check out

Vernon Reid has a fusion outfit called Masque. Known Unknown was a good album, well worth checking out. Apparently his new one is good too, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Ohm. Featuring Chris Poland from Megadeth. I like this one a lot.

Also check out Mike Stern, you can find a bunch of his transcribed in the guitar mags. John McLaughlin & Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al Di Meola, John Scofield & Pat Metheny are also essential listening

D/L some tracks and see what grabs you. Then you can look for specific pieces that you want to learn, instead of what we tell you to
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Stanley Clarke - School days
        Billy Cobham - Spectrum

Comment

Originally posted by 5074charvel
          Stanley Clarke - School days
          Billy Cobham - Spectrum
          Hmmm. I have never heard of those guys. I'll check em out.

Comment

maybe because they aren't guitar players :P
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'm a metal dude..so I will say Spastick Ink and Watchtower..

there is PLENTY of jazz fused technical metal..I could make a list, if you care.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If you want to really stretch your horizons...learn some Al DiMeola stuff from his early electric days...like Land of the Midnight Sun and the such.

You want to talk about SPEED? Al didn't need no stinkin' sweeps...he just burned the neck down with pure alternate picking FURY.

Some nice funk elements in there too.

Of course, there is JEFF BECK...who basically invented fusion guitar.

Mike
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Flight Over Rio is a good one to learn, Al fucking rules

Comment

Check out Shawn Lane as well!

Comment

Al DiMeola, Shawn Lane, Frank Gambale, Allan Holdsworth "metal fatigue", and Tony MacAlpine's "Cab"..stuff rules..

I also love King Crimson's "discipline"..that got me going nuts on bass..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh Alex Skolnick..what the hell was his fusion thing called..Section A..something A..

Chris Poland is Ohm..

If your into bass and grooves oriented stuff..Stu Hamm's stuff is great..Satch and Harry Cody on that stuff..."Count Zero" is a cool song.

Bella Fleck too..

Comment

speaking of bass and grooves type stuff, check out Jungle Funk, featuring Will Calhoun & Doug Wimbish of Living Colour.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Cynic - Focus.

Cynic was a progressive/technical/death/jazz metal band, and they kicked ass!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X