Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What guitar should I get for music college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What guitar should I get for music college?

My dad said he would buy me just about any guitar if I get into music college so I am really stoked. I have been practicing all day long and studying music theory, and I have also been looking for a guitar for college early. So, I need a recommendation on a guitar that will be perfect for college. Yes it is tempting to get a metal machine, but I need something that can pretty much handle most styles of music. I wanted a Jackson Custom Shop at first, but I don't know if it would be as good a choice as getting something like a Tom Anderson, Suhr, or one of these http://www.tkinstruments.com/id106.htm
    So I need a recommendation. Is a Jackson custom really worth the insane price?

It would take a long time to get a custom shop.

Get a Charvel Model 6 and a Edwards LPC

Best of both worlds

Unless its only one guitar he would get you.

Comment

You want something reliable and versatile, and I wouldn't worry too much about fancy aesthetics as, even though it's music college, it's still college. Your guitar is going to take it in the face a few times.

If you're most comfortable with the strat-style guitars and 25.5" scale I'd definitely stick with that.

It would also probably be helpful to have something with dual humbuckers and the ability to coil tap for SC sounds.

Anderson or Suhr will get you there. So would a Tyler, but those are much more expensive. At this point you're dealing with small shop, boutique stuff. It's right up there with Jackson Custom Shop quality, or any custom shop for that matter. Every guitar those guys make is a custom shop piece.

Comment

I'd have to recommend a Fender Strat for comfort, playability and sound. Though I have Charvels, Westburys, Gibsons, I always fall back on the Strat for reliability. My 2 cents.
        Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Think about it, you pretty much have carte blanche here. I'd definitly go with something incredibly versatile and high quality!

What kind of guitars do you like currently?
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Versatility would be the key. i.e., Ability to cover many different styles of music. That said, you've got many, many options that could fit that bill.

And I wouldn't rule out a Jackson or Charvel just because it's considered a "metal" guitar. It's kind of silly to think of an instrument that way. A J or C could cover nearly any style of music: metal, pop, jazz, country, bluegrass, whatever - that's mostly a reflection of the player and the music, not the guitar itself.

If you're seriously considering music school, though, I would suggest two things. IMHO, a HSS layout is common enough to find a lot of options in the marketplace and give the most tonal versatility. You should also consider taking both an electric and acoustic with you to school. Not sure if pops will pony up for both, so you might want to go middle of the road price-wise (with a lot of really good quality guitars to choose from in that price range), rather than blowing your whole wad on a tricked-out custom.

Comment

I'd imagine you'd want something as versatile as possible, and I wouldn't rule out getting something with a piezo system, too. Maybe something like the EBMM Petrucci or Luke. The Steve Morse model can do just about everything, too.

Minimally, you want something that can sound good in as many setting as possible and you'll probably want to stick to a conservative style so you can fit in anywhere as well. Although some might disagree (myself includeded), a warbird graphic on a Warrior is not going to fit in everywhere.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
                Think about it, you pretty much have carte blanche here. I'd definitly go with something incredibly versatile and high quality!

What kind of guitars do you like currently?
                I like superstrats. I was thinking about getting a Suhr standard or an Anderson drop top.

And, I already have an acoustic. It is a Martin DXME Dreadnought.

Maybe I should get a fully loaded Carvin.

Comment

I would show up with something versatile and humble. Showing up with some tricked out custom shop axe sends a clear message, which you may not want to convey. To be honest, I would go with a nice comfortable Strat with a H-S-S configuration.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I'd be wary of the TA and Suhrs too. How is that going to come across to your fellow guitarists/teachers?

A Carvin would be a good choice, make sure you play one before you decide to buy.

I would suggest a fully pimped EBMM Petrucci as well, but A) it's basswood (might not be your cup of tea) and B) you could be branded a fanboy for using a signature series guitar.

--------------

That being said, I think a Tom Anderson H/S/S would be very sweet and capable of just about anything.
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
                      I would show up with something versatile and humble. Showing up with some tricked out custom shop axe sends a clear message, which you may not want to convey. To be honest, I would go with a nice comfortable Strat with a H-S-S configuration.

Mike

Lonestar is nice.
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Phil Collen's Jackson?
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Just get a PC1 and be done with it.
                          Probably one of the most versitile guitars Jackson makes.
                          The sustainer is just a bonus, but the build quality is top notch.
                          -Rick

Comment

go to every guitar store you can and play everything you can then decide. Tell the salesman your daddy gave you a blank check and they will get all the good guitars for ya. What sucks about the carvin is that you cant play one 1st. Get a guitar that feels great in your hands then worry about the looks and tone . Play Play play em all until your fingers bleed

Comment

There is a local guitar store that carries Tom Andersons. I have tried one out before and it was sweet. I also tried out a SL2h Soloist at a local guitar center and the neck felt as if it melted into my hands. It was the best feeling neck I have ever had the pleasure of playing. But why should I worry about what othe people think of me and my guitar at college? I worked hard to get in and I want a nice guitar for my adult years. Why would someone judge me by my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                              X