Criss Oliva appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Criss Oliva appreciation thread

I always liked Chris' playing, he had a very unique style, his tone was great and he didn't sound like anyone else. He sounded like Chris!

It really is a shame that he didn't get more recognition than he did. I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

Comment

Willie,

Reckon you can find his setting here

Fong

Comment

I thought he played a Kramer on Hall of the Mountain King?

Comment

He endorsed them for a short time, I've only ever seen him with one in one photo, and it was just a promo shot, not actually playing it.

Comment

Criss was an awesome player. We opened for them on the "Gutter" and "Streets" tours here in St. Louis. He had a great live tone.

Criss, Randy & Robbin RIP!!!!!

Adrian
            All hail the 'King'
            R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

STLKINGV, did you happen to get a look at Criss' rig when you were opening for Savatage?

Comment

Not really, I was set up on stage right. I was too stoned anyway to remember shit. I believe he ran in stereo with (4) 4 X 12's. His guitar tone just blistered.

Adrian
                All hail the 'King'
                R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

On Mountain King, I recall seeing hime play a white Kramer Pacer Imperial (2 hums / rosewood neck) rear loaded, chrome Floyd. He had great emotion, speed, and chops! RIP

Comment

Oh yeah, in that video too....erm, what I was getting at was that I've never personally seen him using one in a live setting.

Comment

Originally posted by eddyrox:
                      I think you're right - criss was a huge Charvel endorser in the 89-90 period. I remember seeing the Savatage band ads for Charvel's. did criss ever play a jackson [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      for some reason I recall a kelly in the video for "jesus saves" from Streets...I think.... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">forsure he had a soloist on the edge of thorns album and vid and all over the later stuff after mountain king , didn't he play krammer at that time [mountain king] ? that was in that vid as well . shit I remember that criss cafferly had a yellow warrior pro do any of you remember that one ? it was road hassard yellow as well and hard on the eyes lol //Steve

Comment

.. and don't bugg me about the bad spelling ron cause my brain is fried tonight shitty week and all or to bloody busy anyway //Steve

Comment

This is what I recall Criss using in the various Savatage videos:

24 Hours Ago: White ESP MII
                          Hall Of The Mountain King: white Kramer Pacer
                          Gutter Ballet: Charvel Tele
                          Jesus Saves: Usa Jackson Fusion w/ Don't Smoke graphic
                          Edge Of Thorns: Jackson Pro Archtop (I think).
                          Sleep: Charvel electric acoustic

He primarily used Charvel (Predators, Fusions, Dinkys,) until Streets when he started using Jackson Fusions and Pro archtops. KE sent me a huge poster of Criss from the 93 NAMM show holding his USA Jackson Fusion Don't Smoke and a Jackson Pro archtop. I also still have the Charvel Fusion that Criss gave to Jackson in 90 that he toured/recorded with, has his, Johnny Lee Middleton, and Chris Cafferys' signature on it. Hangs on my wall in my living room with great pride and rememberance!

Comment

Awesome!! Do you have a photograph of that poster?

Comment

Yup sure do, if someone wants me to e-mail it to them they can post it.

Comment

Send it to me... [email protected], I'll post it for ya buddy!

Comment

Working...
                                X