No announcement yet.

So... I think I finally got a new job..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... I think I finally got a new job..

After being unemployed for over a month, after the last ISP I was the tech support manager at sold to Earthlink and Primary networks,
    And after the Charter (the cable company) dicked me around on a false job offering...

I sent my resume off to a I.T. contracting firm...

Next week I should be working for Acsent... basically managing rackspaces... racking...stacking.. patching Cat5... etc...

From what they have told me, it will be a learning experience as well as a decent job (Starting me out at $15 an hour)....

So I got ahold of my old boss and picked up a few Cisco books... I've read 10 pages so far of "Interconnecting Cisco Network devices"...

I'm really hoping of grasping this stuff... to its a bit frustrating not know just where to start with networking. I've only done small scale networking.

I'm also thinking about trying to get a few more certifications (I only have A+ and Windows Power User)

Any input from you IT guys?

Thanks,
    Steve

Jobs rock. More $$$ for Cool stuff
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I know a few IT guys that have not a single cert. and have great jobs. The places they work know these guys know what they are doing. They were lucky though. In the long run, if you want a job like that, you need the certs.

Comment

Prayin for good outcome myself. I'm finaly taking a step in my desired direction.

I just received a scholarship from local tech school and starting a 2yr AAS Networking Degree in 2 wks.
        When I'm done, I should have A+, CCNA, CCNP minimum
        I may squeeze some security classes in too and get that certification as well to round out a nice package.

Quitting my somewhat excellent manufacturing job to do it full time too.
        Hope the gamble pays off.
        I also can choose MCSE or RedHat, but think I'd like Cisco better.

Comment

Congrats! I'm on the last week of my two-week notice then I start my new job. I do ERP programming and data warehousing/business intelligence. I hear Cisco is a + in the networking field. Try to stay away from stuf (like what I do) that can be outsourced overseas. A lot of companies that I used to work for now outsource to India, so there are fewer jobs and weaker pay.

Comment

Congrats, Gwarghoul! This sounds like it might be a great opportunity at a career rather than just a job. It can be a grind, but you're a sharp guy & I know you can do it if you put in the effort.

Comment

Congrats Steve! Life is taking a turn for the better huh!
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

great news steve. Again i was right, things will turn out better
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Thanx guys.
                  Thanks for all your input, help, and good wishes.

I'm gonna go hit that cisco book again here in a few...

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X