Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up onthe prices of siding a home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up onthe prices of siding a home?

I'm trying to figure out how much I should expect to pay a contractor to side my home with vinyl.

I measured it out, and my house is 36' X 18' with 16' being where siding would be (the rest is a block foundation). It's like 1700 square feet or so. I've got 6 corners that are outside angle, and 2 that are inside.

Anyone have an idea on this? I'm calling up different contractors for estimates, and I don't want anyone to take me to the cleaners on it. I've got old aluminum siding on it now, but I want to get soffit and fascia (strangely enough, when the fuckers who owned the house before me sided it, they never put it up, and I've got exposed wood, heh, wood).

Deneb,
    Here in Georgia the going rate is $120.00 a square (square = 100 sq feet)
    Material included=$2040.00 for vinyl siding. Soffit and fascia is $5.00 per
    linear foot-if your house is 38x18 then that should be 108 feet @ $5.00 = $540.00. So all together around $2580.00 give or take a few. Oh yeah if you want to run soffit, fascia and frieze board that will be $7.50 per linear ft. Which the total would be 108 x 7.50 = $2850.00
    Last edited by charveljunkie; 07-29-2006, 05:36 PM.

Comment

The labor will be twice the amount of the materials, at least. Why not do it yourself? I have a great example. My kitchen drainpipe broke underneath the slab of my house. It only was the drain for the kitchen and the utility sink. The rest down was OK. I had a guy come out and told me it would be $8,000. I had a neighbor say he would do it for $3,500. Well, I couldn't afford that. So I dug a 60 foot trench that skirted the outside of the house. A friend loaned me the money for material. It was a pain in the ass and back, but I got it done. $400. I, obviously, don't know whether you have the time or the inclination, but you sure can save a lot of money if you did it on your days off.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

To my understanding putting up siding is easy as pie, get a straight line, start at the bottom and go. I just don't want to go through it, then again depending on what they charge for labor, I'll have to do it myself.

Thanks for the input, those prices pretty much run with what I saw at Lowe's today, I wasn't sure if I was looking at everything right, but I guess I was

Comment

If you do it yourself, be prepared for a shitbox of hassles and numerous trips to Loews. That's why the "Pros" charge so much. And chances are they will not do the correct job and also stick you for "Additional" repairs. If this is elective surgery, I would say do it at your leisure. 1. You know your house. 2. When you do the removal you can see for yourself what damage needs tp be repaired. 3. It ain't rocket science.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

also Deneb look online about installation-I don't do vinyl siding but I do know you do not put the nails all the way in. You want the vinyl to be able to expand/shrink at will.

Comment

Also check out different siding manufacturers and their warranties. We had a huge hail storm a few months ago and most houses around the area had the siding totally destroyed. It was amazing to see. One of the contractors in the area installs a brand called "Crane". They make a solid core siding with a lifetime parts and labor warranty. I'm sure it's a little more spendy, but you might check it out. Myself, I'm a believer in wood siding. Our home still looks like it did before the storm.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Here is a link to a pretty thorough installaion guide: http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications/ .

I have been trying to get to this project for 4 years. It is always the same thing, money but no time, time but no money. Not a difficult project and will turn out well as long as you follow the installation procedures. I got 4 quotes from licensed contractors in my area that ranged from $9,000 to $12,000 for my Cape Code built in 1952 (don't know the squares). Those prices included wrapping 16 windows, 2 doors and facia boards in vinyl coated aluminum and the installation 1/4" over the existing asbestos shingles.
                "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Its very costly to have it done. I'd do it myself.. takes a couple-few weekends depending on your speed and inclination, # of friends/assistants.
                  Once you get started and get it rolling, it won't go so badly especially if you have a helper or two.

We had a quote on our trailer, with new windows and all wood siding it was somewhere in the 8 grand range... I said..no thanks.

Comment

I just finished siding my house and a cabin I'm building for my friends. Vinyl has gotten too expensive for what you get in my opinion. I used the prepainted 3' wide metal on my old farm house at a cost of .66 a square foot,

the cheapest vinyl is .85 and the better grades are closer to 1.20. I did the cabin in Hardee plank 7'' reveal cement impregnated lap siding, it is pricier but offers a lot more protection than vinyl, Because of the threat of hurricanes we are having to deal with here in FL, I chose these products because I feel they are superior to vinyl, (plus I just don't like vinyl.

Last edited by FusionFarmer; 07-31-2006, 08:53 AM.
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                    X