Mass Chiropractic Survey Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Chiropractic Survey Response

First of all, thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time and effort to provide a response to the Chiropractic Survey I put out last week. I really appreciate all of the comments, regardless of content. They have helped me out in many ways, so again, thank you all very much. Here is my mass response, so a giant thank you goes out to anyone who actually takes the time to read all of this.

To start, a little background on Chiropractic, what is it? Chiropractic is the science of locating malfunctioning spinal structures, the art of reducing their impact to the nervous system, and the philosophy that, when working properly, the body has the potential to heal itself. It is based on the scientific fact that your body is a self-regulating, self-healing organism. These important functions are controlled by the brain, spinal cord, and all the nerves of the body. Chiropractic works by restoring your own inborn ability to be healthy. When under the proper control of your nervous system, all the cells, tissues, and organs of your body are designed to resist disease and ill health. The Chiropractic approach to better health is to locate and help remove interferences to your natural state of being healthy. Since the primary focus of care is improved nervous system function, Chiropractic can have a positive effect on many health conditions not normally thought of as “back” problems.

After undergraduate studies, students must complete and additional four- year curriculum of over 4500 college classroom hours of health sciences. To graduate with a Doctor of Chiropractic degree, each candidate passes National Board Examinations. Then, doctors apply to a governmental or professional licensing board and pass a more difficult test before being granted the privilege to practice. Most Chiropractors complete postgraduate instruction for license renewal and to stay current on the latest scientific research.

Common Misconceptions:

1) Once you start Chiropractic care, you have to keep going for the rest of your life. -
    How long you decide to benefit from Chiropractic care is always up to you. Since many spinal problems get started from traumatic births, accidents, or other long-standing problems, permanent correction can be difficult. Decided for yourself whether you want initial intensive care for temporary relief, rehabilitative care to stabilize and strengthen the spine, or wellness care for non-symptomatic elective care.

2) Chiropractic results are just a “Placebo Effect.” -
    The placebo effect depends on the power of suggestion. However, Chiropractic care has provided beneficial results for newborns, infants, pets that have been hit by cars, and others for whom the power of suggestion isn’t possible. Plus, there are alterations to a patient’s spine from Chiropractic care, seen on x-ray. Other tests show improved range of motion and flexibility.

3) Chiropractic care wears out your joints and can make them too loose. -
    Just the opposite, Chiropractic care can help prevent joints from wearing out. Only the joints that are “locked up” receive adjustments. This allows weakened muscles and ligaments to heal.

4) Chiropractic is dangerous -
    A 1979 New Zealand government study found that Chiropractic adjustments are “remarkably safe.” Statistically, Chiropractic adjustments are about 100 times safer than taking an over-the-counter pain reliever.

Common questions about Chiropractic:

1) How long until I feel better?
    Some patients feel almost instant relief. Others find out it can take many weeks or months. Many factors can affect the healing process. How long have you had the problem? Are you keeping your appointments? Are you getting the proper rest, exercise, and nutrition? Do you smoke? Are you in otherwise good condition?

2) Can I adjust myself?
    No. Some people can make their joints “pop.” But that’s not an adjustment. Worse, damage can occur by mobilizing a joint with weakened muscles and ligaments. Adjustments are specific and take years to master. Even a Chiropractor must consult a colleague to benefit from Chiropractic care.

3) How do I know if I have a subluxation?
    You can have subluxations and not even know it. Like the early stages of tooth decay or cancer, subluxations can be present before warning signs appear.

Another interesting thing to note, in 1993 the Ontario Ministry of Health funded a Canadian research project to study if Chiropractic could help lower the costs of work-related injuries or improve the rehabilitation of disabled or injured workers. The results were that Chiropractic patients were able to return to work more quickly than those who received traditional treatment. And Chiropractic patients reported a high level of satisfaction with their care.

If there are any questions at all on anything I may not have discussed, anything that you disagree with, or something you would like more information on, please do not hesitate to ask me. I will do my best to provide a quick and concise answer. Thank you all again.

Comment

Working...
    X