Do Not Call List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Not Call List

I signed up for this a year or so ago to stop the freakin tele-marketers from calling the house and it worked. But the last month or so it has started up again....even got a recorded message from Stop and SHop telling me the Cicular was coming in the mail Wednesday.....WTF?!!!??!?!. ANyone else getting this lately?
    Anyone have the "Do not call list" number?

It worked for the most part for me too. I still get those auto dialed solicitors on occasion. When I pick up and say hello, they have a very narrow window to answer. These automated dialers usually don't answer back for a couple seconds.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

There's a guy I saw on the news a couple of years ago that made his living off telemarketers. Every time they'd call he'd ask to speak to a manager. I can't remember exactly how he did it, but in a nutshell he threatened to sue and the companies settled with him out of court with a check ranging from $1500 to $15,000.

They said this fuck was making over $150k a year with that!
      Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Originally posted by St.James
        There's a guy I saw on the news a couple of years ago that made his living off telemarketers. Every time they'd call he'd ask to speak to a manager. I can't remember exactly how he did it, but in a nutshell he threatened to sue and the companies settled with him out of court with a check ranging from $1500 to $15,000.

They said this fuck was making over $150k a year with that!
        I think that's great! Call ME during dinner, eh? Take THAT, mofo! It probably only works a %age of the time though. A lot of those companies are just boiler rooms that change locations and names every few months to stay ahead of the cops. They don't give a fuck about lawsuits, they worry about the SEC.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'm on it. For the most part, it works. However, there are a number of exceptions to what's covered under the law. For instance, IIRC, fund raising by not-for-profits is exempt. Also, if you have an existing business relationship with a company, they can call you, too. (Possibly explains your Stop&Shop call, Quakana.)

Of course, there are lots of skuzzy boiler room outfits that look for ways around the law. For instance, I keep getting messages on my answering machine from some s**thole random phone generator asking for "Willy Williams" at my residence, saying that it's important to call an 800 number back. (Come on! You couldn't think of a better fake name than that?) If you're dumb enough to call back, the next step to this routine would be: "Oh, we must have the wrong number. Maybe instead you'd be interested in..." Pulease.

BTW, there's also a sign-up list to prevent unsolicted credit card offers. You know, those "just sign here and we'll give you a $5k credit limit card" offers that show up in your mail about, say, twenty times a week? The kind that low life identity thieves love to steal from your mailbox before you get home from work?

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon

BTW, there's also a sign-up list to prevent unsolicted credit card offers. You know, those "just sign here and we'll give you a $5k credit limit card" offers that show up in your mail about, say, twenty times a week? The kind that low life identity thieves love to steal from your mailbox before you get home from work?
            I'd like to get on that list...got a link or any info? Those things bug the crap out of me. My shredder seems like it's running constantly having to shred all those offers. I even had to get the kind of shredder that does credit cards, because of all the fake credit cards they include with the offer.

Seems kind of weird that I'm replying to shreddermon about my shredder...

Comment

https://www.donotcall.gov/

You pretty much just enter your info and e-mail and the calls should stop in a few months.
              If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

I'm already on the do not call list...I meant a link to the "do not give me 100 credit card offers a week" list. Thanks anyway reaper.

Comment

Originally posted by npacheco
                  I'm already on the do not call list...I meant a link to the "do not give me 100 credit card offers a week" list. Thanks anyway reaper.
                  No need to thank me... My last comment was pretty much pointless
                  If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Originally posted by npacheco
                    I meant a link to the "do not give me 100 credit card offers a week" list.
                    Here 'ya go:

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/

You'll have to submit your SS# and other personal info. But, don't worry, the website isn't a scam. This dealio was required by Federal legisaltion. And, to give you comfort about that, here's a link to info about it (inc. the link) on the FTC's website:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../prescreen.htm

Enjoy.

Comment

Much obliged shredder.

Comment

Working...
                      X