Weight lifting and guitar playing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting and guitar playing...

So its time I start heading back to the gym. This time Im going to strengthen my lower back FIRST, before going after the heavy stuff like an animal agiain... dont need any more herniated disks!

But my question, actually brought on by the Lynch thread,to the guys who may work out here, how does it affect your guitar playing, if at all? When I was working out before, I actually seemed to get faster guitar wise. Maybe from increased blood flow in the arms and strengthening hands holding weights and what not.

Basically, I plan on getting pretty big. Not "holy fuck!!!" big, but big enough... but I want to make sure doing so wont hurt my playing ability (or lack there of! :ROTF: )
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

I noticed reduced flexibility when i started doing weight lifting and building years back, which made me stop instantly. I'd rather play the guitar all skinny and agile than pumped and clumsy I actually started to feel a bit clumsy or low on dexterity, no kidding. I bet it's personal; it might work for you no problem. For me, it was back to running and cycling.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I think it was the "enhancing" shit you have to worry about..

you should be fine with just working out..it never affected my playing in the slightest..

but my herniated discs in my cervical and thorasic areas sure affected the lifting..that I can not do any longer..

If I damge it anymore I will lose my left arm/hand/fingers all together..it feels like I'm playing with a glove on..I can't feel the strings at all and my pinky is worthless now..but somehow I still mange to play pretty good..I dunno how..

Be careful..especially with your back already!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I work out on a regular basis and I don't find it affects my guitar playing at all.

Comment

I've recently begun a cutting routine and I have REALLY cut back (unfortunately) on my guitar playing. It doesn't help that my guitar/computer room is roughly 85 degrees during the day and turning my amps on doesn't help matters. It really sucks....I don't really have a job per se (I do but I don't have to go very often) so I have all the free time in the world and it's too damn hot to play guitar. When fall arrives and it cools down enough to play guitar I'll be back studying for 8-10hrs each day. I'm convinced that I'm never going to become a decent guitar player Sorry I strayed off topic a bit.....but basically my weight/cardio training lessens what little opprotunity I have to play guitar.

Comment

Rob Kane couldn't wipe his ass worth a damn since he was all puffed up, but he could play a little....
            ... if that means anything to you.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Yea, and you won't be able to scratch you back.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
              X