Line 6..now I'm pissed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6..now I'm pissed

Ok.. I bought a Guitar Port 2.5 w/Rifftracker over the Memorial Holiday @ GC.
    140.00. I'm thinking.. this is a great deal as I've seen them go for about 175.00 new.

Then I look on ebay.. 75.00.. I'm thinking wth.. I am paying way to much.
    So I buy one off ebay.. wait two weeks and take my original purchase from GC back.

Meanwhile.. the guy on ebay says the shipment came in damaged and I'll have to wait a little longer but they'll expedite it out on their coin. Another week goes by. Finally 3 weeks later.. I get the box. (no, it wasn't expedited)
    Just in time too as my J station has just gone on the blink. In the meantime.. I'm using a GS-10 to record basic ideas and all the sounds are to funky for me to deal with that I have to spend time dialing in a handful of new sounds to use for recording.

The clincher is.. I hook up the Guitar port... get to fool with some tones.. but there's no product key. I can't activate the Rifftracker software.

It seems L6 markets two different versions of software/hardware. The green box with the monkey is what I had from GC..it contains the product key for rifftracker. I returned it before realizing that I may want it instead of the ebay purchase which came in the red box..
    This red box does not have the product key for Rifftracker..so, instead of saving 70 bucks..now it'll cost me a 100.00 to obtain and activate a product key.

Just a fair warning FYI..for anyone is who planning on buying this stuff.. make sure you know what you are getting. I did check with the vendor on ebay about the software/hardware and they did say it was as new, the 2.5 version with Rifftracker.. little did I know it was the demo version.
    Last edited by charvelguy; 07-10-2006, 11:39 AM.

I have the Guitar Port. It's ok, but in order to get really kickass tones out of it you'll need to spend yet another $100 for the tone bundle, or $50 for each one. There's 3.

And the guitar port online thing really isn't all that great, especially to pay monthly for it.

I also have the Tone Port UX2, which is better than the Guitar Port. It's a little more expensive, but sounds better and is more flexible. What sucks is you still have to buy the extra tone bundles for that too!
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

This is one big reason why I love tube amps. I have the POD XTLive and IMO it's just okay. I use it for band practice only because it's easy to transport. I would never use it for a gig. I had one hell of a time downloading the metal pack. Thier system is so f'd up, I ended up getting the packs downloaded for free. It's just way too much hassle when you can plug in your amp and go.
      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

A friend got me the Tone Port UX1 for Christmas. It's cool for playing into my computer (that's pretty much all I use it for), I don't feel a need to buy any tone bundle packs for it. I don't care for the Ableton Live Line 6 recording software too much, though... I guess that I'll have to upgrade to something else. I've recorded a couple things, but I have trouble synching up the guitars with the pre-recorded drum and bass parts and getting tempos just right.
        And I have no clue how to record a guitar clip to make an MP3 and post online.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So why are you pissed at Line 6?
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
            +1

Comment

so go back to gc, buy the green thing, write down the activation key..and then return it

or go to gc take it, write it down if u can and no1 is watching and if u can see it without opening..
              If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Was just thinking the same thing....

-Nate
                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak
                  so go back to gc, buy the green thing, write down the activation key..and then return it

or go to gc take it, write it down if u can and no1 is watching and if u can see it without opening..
                  That's called stealing.
                  http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Maybe because they market the same product twice and dont say on the box that one only comes with the demo version? But that seems odd to me. I would be more pissed at the ebay guy for not stating this in his auction. Does he state in the auction that its not the same thing as in retail stores? Did you use paypal? Did you ask for a return?

Comment

I'm pissed about a Line 6 situation. I am Line 6 newbee, can ya tell?
                      My original post was at 2am.. after realizing this was not going to work the way I had wanted. What sold me on this was the demos guitarman08 was putting out with this software/hardware. Decent sounding demos.
                      The main thing I wanted was Line 6 tone banks with the rifftracker for the best price. The only reason why I bought this product was to have software/hardware that allowed me to easily record music ideas to mp3 similar to what guitarman was putting out right out of the box.
                      No..its not guitarmans fault either.. its mine.

So lets see...I've been to GC and back at least a couple times. (another overcharge relative to the same purchase) Why was I overcharged? because when the clerk manually edits the discount to give you the 'best deal' the 'system' doesn't allow you to view EXACTLY how much you get discounted on any given item when there's multiple purchases.
                      It conveniently scrambles the prices on multiple purchases so you have no idea just how much you paid for anything.

Back to Line 6 and ebay..(maybe this should have beeb posted in efraid- I was tired)
                      I then waited at least a month to get started on recording into the computer with this and now I'm essentially back to where I was with a piece of hardware that I may be able to interface with Sonar or Cool Edit.

Box says Guitar Port, cd says with Rifftracker, both were vers 2.5.. the ebay vendor said it came with both. It does.. just one contains a demo product in a different package not shown on eBay. I'm probably more po'd at the ebay vendor. I got a general answer to a specific questions and did not press it or research it further.

I am also pissed at myself for not researching it further and walking blindly into buying this 'demo' version of riffracker, even tho, I suspected there may be other versions out there.

Had I wanted solely a phrase trainer, which this basically is..I would consider buying a Tascam.. at least it has hardware that does something whuich you carry along.. a cd player. for about a 100.00.

While the Guitar port has ok sounds, I'm not blown away by the software/hardware interface. I already have a GS-10, its essentially the same thing, those it doesn't sound as good IMO but again, I haven't really gotten into in depth editing with the software provided.

7.99 a month for subscribing to Guitar Port online. (basically guitar lessons)
                      pricing not on package. Not something I am really interested in anyways.

I see the literature now for modelpacks upgrades.. no pricing on them.

..and going into Line 6's website.. I now see all the viable options
                      ahh, 30 day money back guarantee.. well, it likely to late now, but maybe I'll write them a polite note and see what can be done.

And no.. the ebay vendor doesn't reply to emails. I had to write just to find out the 'fast shipping' which was advertised would be delayed due what they claimed was to damaged shipment. I have a feeling they sell alot of product they do not carry on hand.

I'll end up like Dale from King of the Hill.. its all a conspiracy...to get yer money.

Maybe I'll go back to writing on a cass 4 track.
                      I'm sure I'll have more to post about the Motu 2408 and the Tascam 238 later on when the Motu finally arrives. I hope it goes smoother.
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 07-10-2006, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Speaking of which..the UPS guy just arrived.. the Motu is here.
                        So far.. this is going alot smoother.

Comment

Working...
                        X