Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to selll all of my gear... =(

Hay guys,

A lot has came up, with my health, needing to move (the rent here is a ripoff, and the place has very little sunlight, and is very depressing), and pay some debts. I'm going to be selling every single piece of my gear, except my BGF KV-1.

I'm scared. ..My g/f tells me I can always replace these guitars (except for the KV-1, which she even understands)... but I just feel like I'm about to lose a part of me.

Truth be told tho, I have been so mentally messed up, and financially stressed out, that I have only played guitar maybe twice in the the last 2 months.

Have any of you guys been thru this? Will I be ok? Whats your advice?

Hell, I'm even going to need to sell my Minn-Kota 46lb thrust trolling motor off my john boat.

What do you guys think I should be asking for some of this stuff, and whats the best approach to move things thru ebay/classifieds?

This is by no means an ad, just venting and seeking advice....never been here before.
    However, feel free to contact me if you are interested in any of the gear.

Thanks,
    Steve

If you're looking for top dollar, I'd just put the stuff on eBay. Maybe one of those oud buyers still has money burning a hole in his dashiki.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

I recently sold some of my guitars and some other gear. There are some collectors that buy and sell all the time, but I am more of a keeper. I had good use fot the cash, because I had non-guitar-related bills to pay, but it wasn´t a neccessity to sell.

They were sold through ebay and when the auction ended I thought, "hell what am I doing here", because I really liked the ones I was selling. But after the money rolled in it was really ok. The "emotional loss" didn´t affect me. It´s a piece of gear after all and it only takes a few moments to spot "something interesting for sale" in the internet ... yeah like the hottest oud on earth.

My 0.02

Comment

It's sad to sell gear you like, but sometimes you have to do it. You will get over it and when times are better you'll bond with other gear.

Go to Ebay and search completed auctions of the items you're going to sell. Those prices are what you want to shoot for. Luckily this is a good time of year to sell, better than the winter holidays when everyone's budget is geared towards Christmas and Hannukah (sp?) giving. Most people right now have paid their taxes and have some discretionary income to spend.

Good luck dealing with the crisis; I've been there for awhile now!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

As old as I am, I have had many, "Going out of life sales". I have sold everything. But, you know what? Once things settle down, you can get all that stuff back. Save the "valuable" stuff and let the rest go.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I hear you, loud and clear!

Comment

Been there,and done that twice...Make sure you keep the stallion of the heard,they are beyond impossible to replace.
              Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

yeah bro, save the things that you don't think you'll be able to find easily again. If that king V can be replaced, then by all means let it go.

Comment

Go for it !! Keep the best and sell the rest !! When things get back to normal, it'll be cool to build a new Empire !!!

My problem is that I have too many that I'm in love with !!!

Better days are ahead my friend !! We're here for ya !!!

Comment

Originally posted by fett
                    As old as I am, I have had many, "Going out of life sales". I have sold everything. But, you know what? Once things settle down, you can get all that stuff back. Save the "valuable" stuff and let the rest go.
                    +1 In my house, with all it's craziness, the guitar helps me cope with everyday things. I've sold everything a few times just to get by, but it's always fun again to buy new stuff. Just save the vintage or valuable stuff and you'll be good. I had NOTHING for months, but the situation gets better and you go nuts with the credit card (or not, depending if your good with money or not)

Oh yah, good luck with everything dude!
                    Last edited by IrfaanSE801; 07-05-2006, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice guys.
                      I'm trying to keep it all in mind. I just posted my first ad... letting em go slowly!
                      I think I'm going to try to keep my mind off it.

Comment

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL
                        Thanks for all of the advice guys.
                        I'm trying to keep it all in mind. I just posted my first ad... letting em go slowly!
                        I think I'm going to try to keep my mind off it.
                        That won't work. Trust me. I had so much "stuff" before I moved up to Seattle I felt I couldn't let it go. I knew I had to go and sold and sold stuff. Then, it got right down to it. I had to think about letting it go. Once I got started getting rid of stuff I just thought I had to keep, it was like a load was being taken off my back. It felt good. Now, here is the upside or downside. Now that I have gone through the home from hell, you old timers know about that, and have found my home, AKA trailer, I have found all the stuff I left behind, and then some. The point is: Stuff can always be replaced. Set your mind on what you have to do to protect yourself and people that rely on you. Good luck to you, my friend.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

oh yes - about 2-3 years ago. long winded agonising tale. my best advice is sell only what you need to survive, cut up the cards, and negotiate with creditors to make things easier (or fuck em off if they're being unreasonable). simultaneously, consolidation loans kill your credit rating and only prolong your suffering. my mistakes wound up with me creditless/blacklisted, money stolen directly out of my wages, having to walk 13 miles to work, the list goes on. i've just finished paying my last "debt", well, assuming no other fucka manages to hunt me down. and despite being bitter about it, i'm glad it's over.
                          Last edited by wilkinsi; 07-05-2006, 07:50 PM.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I've sold almost all of my gear several times too Steve. Don't sweat it. You can always get the stuff back when you are financially ready for it. Many of us have been there!

Comment

i can understand u... i get attached to stuff easily and it is hard for me to let go.. some people here don't get attached to their gear so much and i wish i was like that

getting attached to gear is good unless it has to go..
                              i mean.. my ipod was stolen and about a month after im still upset.. of course cant compare ipod to guitars..

anyway i say just get it over with, sell whatever you can and whatever is replaceable.. move out, start fresh again and then when ur all set, get your "empire" back (as someone mentioned above lol)
                              If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X