No announcement yet.

Driving 500 miles a week-what car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a reason Honda is the best car for resale, and is always voted the best value, even with no dealer incentives. They are also, super gas effective, and not plagued with problems. A lot of the hybrids I hear are shit unreliable (maybe even the Honda ones, I'm still anti-hybrid until I see a 10 year old Civic hybrid or whatever).

Comment

The hybrids make sense on paper, but they're too new to have the track record for reliability that I'd want if I were in Don's shoes. Warrantees are great, but who wants the aggravation of having to take a car into the shop, pick up a loaner, etc. Plus, my friends w/ hybrids say the real savings are in stop & go traffic rather than interstate driving.

Comment

How about volvos? A wagon could come in handy doing what your thinking about doing. They are really comfortable for long haul driving and are generally well built.

Comment

My boss has a Honda Hybrid and he's put around 8k on it so far, never had any problems. Gets great gas mileage too

Comment

Guys, hybrids only work if you drive in stop and go traffic in town, when you are using the electric motor. On long hauls, you are using the gas motor, and your lugging around the weight of all of those batteries. A hybrid would not work for me. If I was still driving in LA, stop and go, 45 miles down the 91, I could see that.

My work is paying $0.445 per mile.

SeventhSon made a VERY good point - 26,000 miles per year. I need something that has a great warrenty, and can't lease (because I'd eat it in milage).

We looked at a Cobalt (supercharged) fun, nice seats, but not enough room for 5. An Impala SS, powerful with the V8, it has the technology to shut down 1/2 the cyliners on long hauls saving fuel, but pricy at $28K, and not the best warrenty.

Saturn Ion 4 door - Roomy, lifetime warrenty, $13,685 (marked down from $18K) with the 16 inch rims and tires. This car is currently in first place.

Comment

Prius for fuel economy wont work. A good european diesel car will get MUCH better fuel economy, particularly in highway travel. The hybrids are ok for around town, but most tests have shown its more a ploy for driver self-satisfaction then earth saving brilliance.

I'd say get something toyota/honda. That includes lexus/acura, hyundai are alright too (almost the same level as the japs now, but I'd still turn the car over every 2/3 years).

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                Saturn Ion 4 door - Roomy, lifetime warrenty, $13,685 (marked down from $18K) with the 16 inch rims and tires. This car is currently in first place.
                Found out the scoop on these car - hail damaged and repaired. They don't qualify for 0%/72mo financing. Lifetime warranty is on the internal motor and tranny, nothing else. I've had to replace alternator, starter, and soon a fuel pump, none of which would be covered. This "soured" how the Saturn is currently looking. I still need to visit with Toyota and Honda, no one likes Nissan?

Comment

Working...
                X