No announcement yet.

Huntindoug, DonP and BTB007 GC frenzy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huntindoug, DonP and BTB007 GC frenzy!

Yep, Doug, Don and me all met up last night for the grand opening of the new Guitar Center in Dayton. The opening didn't start until 7pm so we had to wait in line for about 20-30 minutes. We made it in a little after 7, and holy crap. Either we're all old or there was some really loud music being played. No, I'm not that old, it was really loud music coming from a sound system they had for the opening. Plus there were a lot of young kids testing Marshall stacks. We could barely yell loud enough to talk to each other. It was crazy loud. Oh, we got free t-shirts, yeah! They had good deals on drum sticks and guitar strings. But, the guitar selection was really awful. Yeah, they had some nice Gibson, PRS and Fenders, nothing too spectacular. But, no USA Jacksons, or Japanese for that matter either. And, no Prestige Ibanez guitars either. I'm guessing they'll get some nicer imports after they've been open for awhile. All in all, we were pretty let down and unimpressed. But, we all bought drum sticks and Don bought a ton of strings. I also got a set of Planet Waves auto trim locking tuners for my Variax. I might go back tonight and try to use that 20% off coupon on a Line 6 spider amp or see if they can order that GC/MF exclusive Ibanez RGA121 in trans black.
    Doug brought the flame inlay birdseye fretboard with him last night and it looks even better in person! Doug, is the man, very talented. Don showed us his GTA Trans Am, forget what year, 81?
    Even though GC was pretty much a bust, we still had a great time talking about guitars and Don has a lot to talk about with 20-30 of them.
    Doug, Don, I'm sure will have something else to add to my tale of events.

Brian

Man a GC in Dayton, I wouldn't have thought it possible. Not that they will be able to keep up with the all powerful Ace Music! Man I loved that place when I was home.

Actually the stock you talk about sounds exactly spot of for GC. There are 3 here in ATL and they all have the same crappy stock. They have long since all but stopped stocking the nice Jacksons and Ibanez, and the few nice PRS, Fenders, and Gibsons they have been played hard by half the guitar playing population of the city.

Comment

Yep, it was fun just to get out. The GTA is a 1990.

You forgot to mention how they screwed up my order LOL! I bought two boxes of strings, 9s and 10s. The cashier rang up 2 boxes of 9s (he was f'ing slow to begin with), so I had to wait at the door while they voided one of the 9s and rang in a 10. I was FUMING! I told the chick "Get me another t-shirt NOW!". Done. Then I went through their counters looking for anything I could swipe. I took a "How to Sell Gibson Guitars" manual LOL! Now I know all of their secrets LOL!

It was cool seeing Brian and Doug, but I think I'll pass on any future GC openings. They are great if you are a "paople person" as in packed like sardines, and if you like what little's left of your hearing removed. All the little kids - "Let's turn all the amps to ten and see what happens" LOL!

P.S. Does anyone know what type of strings "Musician's Choice" are? All I know are nickle wound. I'm a GHS Boomer person myself. I missed the F'ing Carvin string sale on ebay. These were 12 sets for $20 out the door.

Comment

The guitar center over by me has a amazing stock of Jacksons. They are all prices at 2k+ though

Comment

It’s always cool to meet up with JCF’ers. Brian & Don were great. I’ve met them both before. The wait wasn’t too bad. It gave us a chance to talk, once we got inside we needed to know sign language to communicate. One of the rent-a-cops must have studied “Event line reestablishment” in donut school. Ten minutes before the doors opened, they made half of the line move.

GC must have seen us coming though. The three of us walked away with a total of 110 drumsticks, and none of us are drummers. The noise definitely got to me. At one point when we were standing in line to check out, this kid had a cheap Ibanez plugged in a crate amp that had to be on 9 or 10. He was just sitting there…not even playing. The guitar was just feeding back like crazy, and he’s just looking around.

I’d like to go back tonight for the big sale, but think I’ll pass. I dropped $175 this morning to get my mill moved into the shop. Better to spend the money than to blow my back out again …Pics to follow (of the mill).
          >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Yep, I'm still selling gear to pay for the 750XL. Just had someone bite on a Gibson USA case on the bay. Getting there slowly but shirley.

We forgot to mention the rent-a-cop told these little girls (4-5 years old) not to touch the police tape! What a moron. After he left, they started daring each other to touch the tape. I wish the rent-a-cop stayed there, I'd like to see him arrest a pair of 4 year olds for touching police tape.

Comment

What were 4 year old girls doing there??
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Buying drumsticks?
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                  What were 4 year old girls doing there??
                  Their sort-of cute mommy brought them.

Comment

Working...
                  X