Latest Project - Flame Wood Inlays on Birdseye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Project - Flame Wood Inlays on Birdseye

I've been meaning to try this for months now...Just haven’t had the time. Last night I stayed up til 2am, hopped up on Diet Mountain Dew and cookies. Here is the result. I used a birdseye maple board I bought on ebay that already had the fret slots cut. I won't be able to use it on a neck...no biggie. This is an R&D piece, so it doesn’t matter.

I used .110 in. thick mahogany for the inlays because I was out of Walnut. The board is nice and wide, but has no finish on it in the pic. After I coat it with clear, it should really pop. The small black outline is epoxy; it gives it a nice .010 thick outline. The design is one I drew a couple years ago. I thought about placing an eye in the center between the two symmetric flame designs, but decided against it.

I have a couple other boards that are setting up with multiple woods for the inlays. Next week I plan on doing a wacked out bass board with some blood wood, andiroba, walnut & maple. Let me know what you think.... Doug

>>--HuntinDoug-->

that is COOL!!!!!!! wow.....i wish i had skills like that!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Am I missing something???
      EDIT:
      Never mind... NOW the pics show up.
      Very slick.
      -Rick

Comment

Ummmm. Did "the man" miss the above pic? If so, here is a link:

http://members.aol.com/huntindoug/flameinlay.jpg
        >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

That looks awesome.

Comment

Now it's not showing up for me....
            >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Don't ya just love AOHELL?!?
              -Rick

Comment

EXCELLENT job!

Comment

Looks great, but why wouldn't you be able to use it on a neck?
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

That's beautiful work. That would look great on a guitar, why can't you use it?
                    If only I had back the money I gave that TV preacher....

Comment

I've never glued a fretboard to a neck, but I've been told that the clamping process will pop out inlays put in prior to clamping. I've heard the best way is to apply the FB to the neck, then install the inlays, then slot the frets, then sand & radius the board.

This board will need to be re-slotted over the inlays if used on a guitar. I dunno...It may work.
                      >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

that looks killer Doug.

fuck it, I'd say give it a shot on a neck and see what happens.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

...me likey!

Hey that would look GREAT on Tim's flame geetar!!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That's awesome Doug. I here there is a GC opening up by you now. No more trips to Cinci? I almost needed you this week for a covert operation (I bought another axe LOL!)

Comment

Looks nice Doug. Send it to me and I'll make sure it gets put on a guitar!
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X