Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 web mail via SSL w/o certificate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 web mail via SSL w/o certificate?

The server has been deployed a while and is stable and meets our needs.

IIS is intra only, and I have no interest in hosting our web site. But dynamic DNS will enable me to access exchange server web mail remotely, and I'd like to do that, if I don't have to leave the door open. It would meet most of my remote access needs without the nightmare that configuring a vpn has been (for me) in the past, plus all I'd need would be a browser on the other end.

But it isn't a transaction server, it isn't for commerce and I'm the only remote user - having to buy a certificate seems like a lot to just require/enable 128 bit SSL for one dood to have a secure connection back to exchange.

Anybody? I obviously know nothing about site certificates. Am I way off track? Should I just go back to VPN and have to always use my laptop for the remote access?

Sorry to go on, I just really feel like dealing with work related problems rather than work problems.

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Groovy... looks like the IIS resource kit will let me create a self signed certificate that should meet my needs perfectly...

Never mind me, I'm just going to talk to myself for a while.

Comment

Glad you got it worked out, but have you tried RPC over HTTP?
      Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I have not, and didn't know of it until you asked. Will look into RPC over HTTP, thanks for turning me on to that option. Might be perfect.

Hope that all is well / getting better with you and your family - and thanks for the tip!
        Keith

Comment

I agree with Jack, RPC over HTTP totally rocks. I hardly use Outlook Web Access anymore unless I'm traveling without my laptop.

Comment

VPN (PPTP) is easier and better imo.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Ok, thanks to the self issued certificate I made with IIS resource kit, I now have web mail via https up and running, as well as OMA access via my handheld. Too freaking cool.

And for those times when I do have my laptop, I'm about to setup RPC over http as well. You guys rock.

Keith

Comment

Glad I could help bro!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                X