Why do people molest SGs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people molest SGs??

I was just cruising Ebay, and I found at least 4 older Gibby SGs that are listed as projects. These poor guitars were either stripped of hardware, stripped of finish, modified in some way, or molested in some other way. I don't think I've seen any other kind of guitar that gets violated as often as SGs do. What is it about SGs that makes people destroy them?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

not to mention that as killer as SG's look stock, they are one guitar design that, IMO, look like total ass when people customize them.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I have no idea why anyone would think they could improve a guitar that was perfected 40 years ago... The ONLY thing I like on a modern SG as opposed to a 1961 Les Paul SG Standard is the newer tuning pegs that screw onto the front of the headstock as opposed to just bushings. Oh, and the fact that you can pick one up for about $32,000 less...

Comment

That's an easy call. SG's were"Just " guitars years and years ago. They were contemporary and just waiting to be messed with. You all know that there is a bug that goes into your ear, through your brain and comes out as: " I can make that guitar better!!!". What's the big deal? We do it all the time. Now that they are 40 years old, we cry when we see a "Mod".
        Last edited by fett; 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I think people buy them because they're cheaper than Les Pauls and they want to make it better to be as good as the Les Paul

P.S:I'm not saying LP is better than SG it's just the price thing.But LPs are probably better than sg's.
          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

The old "muddy brown" SGs were particularly cheap and ugly in the 1980s. That and some of the bizzarre cheapo variations that no one wanted probably had a lot of cheap or unusual gibby HW ditched and replaced with even cheaper leftovers from other projects.

How about the Marauders, Grabbers, and LS6's - those weren't received too well and got "the treatment".

Lot's of Granite or black paintjobs, humbucker conversions, added knobs, broken neck repairs, etc.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Man I dont know but I sure wish they would give them to me instead of ruining them...

Comment

Because SGs can't say no.
                If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

LOOK!! I caught her in the act!!

Comment

I'd never molest an SG - just looking at them makes me feel dirty.....
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

There's one in the Classifieds also!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

deleted
                        Last edited by SGplayer; 07-14-2006, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X