X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don's Mopar Muscle Car thread

For those asking for pictures.

The GTA snuck in there too.

The interior on the Challenger looks worse than it is. I was adjusting the slap-stick throw. The only rip in the interior is on the driver seat, and it's in the seam.

I ran out of batteries before taking a picture of the Cuda's motor, but it's just a plain-jane 318 2bbl right now - numbers match LOL!

A stout 360 with an Action+ and a racing Thermo-quad. The guys on Moparchat.com say this is the "hot ticket" The motor runs great, and each cyliner pumps 150psi on a pressure test.
    Last edited by DonP; 06-20-2006, 09:58 AM.

I want that Challenger.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

A "Thermobog"? My lord....the next best thing to a "Quadrabog".

Mike

p.s. cool little Mopars.
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
        A "Thermobog"? My lord....the next best thing to a "Quadrabog".

Mike

p.s. cool little Mopars.
        It seems to run better than the Holley 750dp that was on there before. The Holley wasn't a good fit with the spreadbore Action+.

Personally, I've always used Holleys, but there is lot's of support for the thermo's on moparchat.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
          It seems to run better than the Holley 750dp that was on there before. The Holley wasn't a good fit with the spreadbore Action+.

Personally, I've always used Holleys, but there is lot's of support for the thermo's on moparchat.
          That is because you over carbed it. I would run a 650DP on a 360. Jet it correctly and you are golden. I hate Rochesters and Carters....well, I like dual AFBs, but that is for a vintage look. AFBs are the best sounding American carbs though. I find that for down and dirty work, you can't beat a Holley once it is properly setup...and they are very easy to set up. With quick change bowls it takes about 3 minutes to jet them.

However, if it is working, stick with it. For street use, a vac secondary carb is often the best move, especially with a slush box.

What kind of cam are you running? Converter? Gears? Compression?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
            That is because you over carbed it. I would run a 650DP on a 360. Jet it correctly and you are golden. I hate Rochesters and Carters....well, I like dual AFBs, but that is for a vintage look. AFBs are the best sounding American carbs though. I find that for down and dirty work, you can't beat a Holley once it is properly setup...and they are very easy to set up. With quick change bowls it takes about 3 minutes to jet them.

However, if it is working, stick with it. For street use, a vac secondary carb is often the best move, especially with a slush box.

What kind of cam are you running? Converter? Gears? Compression?

Mike
            LOL! I bought it with the 750dp (and yes, I knew it was overcarbed - hence the carb change). I looked at Holleys, but like I said I took the advice of the guys on MC. I have a complete brand new 6 pack induction system for it - the Thermoquad was just something to play with in the mean-time (and to see if those guys know what they are talking about).

No sure of the cam specs, compression ratio or converter, but the rear end is a 3.42. Tranny is a 904. The motor is a 1971 360, which used the 340 molds (thicker cylinder walls for more overboring). I haven't pulled it apart to see what's under the cover, but it seems like it was built correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
              LOL! I bought it with the 750dp (and yes, I knew it was overcarbed - hence the carb change). I looked at Holleys, but like I said I took the advice of the guys on MC. I have a complete brand new 6 pack induction system for it - the Thermoquad was just something to play with in the mean-time (and to see if those guys know what they are talking about).

No sure of the cam specs, compression ratio or converter, but the rear end is a 3.42. Tranny is a 904. The motor is a 1971 360, which used the 340 molds (thicker cylinder walls for more overboring). I haven't pulled it apart to see what's under the cover, but it seems like it was built correctly.
              Well, the 360s didn't have rocking compression...so unless someone changed the pistons, I would watch how much fuel you feed it. The SixPack may be too much as well. Remember, that was geared towards a 340 with higher compression, a manual tranny, aggressive cam and steeper gears. 3.42 is a compromise set, still high enough for highway use, with a little low for grunt. I have found that if you don't do alot of highway crusing, 3.90 or 3.91 is a great street gearset, with a 3 speed auto or 4 speed manual. Still allows you to go on the road, if you "have to", and cetainly allows some grunt.

150 psi in the holes sounds like a low compression motor to me. My 8:1 306 pulled around that..and that is normal for Ford 2.3 Turbos, which are also 8:1. That doesn't mean you have an 8:1 motor, but I wouldn't expect it to be a poppin' 11:1 motor either!!!

Mike

Comment

Doesn't the cam duration impact the compression ratio? Of course I have no way to tell how built this motor is until I take this apart and see what's under there, but from the tone I'd say there is definitely a lumpy cam under there, so I think some work has been done.

Comment

I want your Challenger BAD...

Comment

Thermo quads are great carbs.My 71 340 Dodge Demon ran better with it than it did with the six pak set up.
                    This was back in 73-74 I contacted ED Hamburger at Chrysler and he told me what to tweak on the TQ and it worked like a charm.Bone stock motor,maual shift valve body in the trans, headers(closed),and 4.56 gears out back on street tires the 1/4 mile ETs 12.60s with M&H slicks and open headers 12.20s not bad for back then.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                      Thermo quads are great carbs.My 71 340 Dodge Demon ran better with it than it did with the six pak set up.
                      This was back in 73-74 I contacted ED Hamburger at Chrysler and he told me what to tweak on the TQ and it worked like a charm.Bone stock motor,maual shift valve body in the trans, headers(closed),and 4.56 gears out back on street tires the 1/4 mile ETs 12.60s with M&H slicks and open headers 12.20s not bad for back then.
                      Damn nice I'd say! I loved having the manual shift valve body in my first Challenger (too bad I was a stupid 18 year old and blew it up LOL!). That car was a built 318 (high rev'ing) and had 4.11's in the back - talk about a death ride for a teen LOL! But that was a great car - it never broke down on me the whole 3 years I had it, and my stupidest mistake was selling it.

I have a set of the 340 cast iron header to drop in as well.

Comment

Nice GTA too....

Oh, and I've never like Holley Carbs! They require way too much maintenance. A Quadrajet or Edelbrock are great! Just set 'em and leave them alone!

Comment

Chryslers at Carlisle July 7th, 8th, 9th. I'm looking to maybe come home with a car this year. Although, with the amount I have to spend, I doubt I'll come home with anything decent if anything at all.

Nice cars Don. Don't ever sell em like I did with mine. Man do I regret selling my 70 cuda. They are skyrocketing in value. Especially your 71 Barracuda. That grill is worth a fortune alone!
                          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

+1 on the 71 cuda grille.
                            I had a 70 440+6 cuda (originaly a Hemi)4 speed dana 60, radio/ heater delete no undercoating, no carpet just the funky mat.The car was delivered to Arlen Vanke (remember him?)It was never used as a SS/D race car by Arlen.He sent it back to Chrysler.
                            A 65 formula S cuda super commando 273 (super D option pkg)4 speed.
                            64 sport fury stage III 426 wedge 727 trans and 83/4 rear with SS springs.

68 charger R/T 440 /727.
                            70 challenger 383 /727.
                            Don't sell em'

Comment

OBTW Don The 65 cuda got balanced and blueprinted shot peened aling honed by D&J automotive in Cinci.The car flat kicked ass on 396s I ran ET bracket a lot with this car it was so consistant it ran 12'60s @ 120 MPH back in 68.Not bad huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X