Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "an inconvenient truth"

aka: al gore's documentary about global warming, if you don't already know,

those who don't believe global warming is happening or it's not caused by humans are not gonna change their minds with one movie, of course. they have their rights to be skeptical about these things...

among those who DO believe it's happening and it's caused by excessive CO2, if and how does this change your life decisions?
    I am asking this because if you are pretty young today you are gonna have to deal with it before you die and if you have small children right now their lives are gonna be profoundly different from ours today because of this.

Well we can thank it to the people that enjoy driving SUVs casually as in not using it to haul heavy stuff or pull boats, while they could be driving a economic style car instead. We can thank them for raising gas prices as well!

Comment

we have too many SUVs because they have a high profit margin so car companys like making them and find ways to sell them.
      the root of that problem of course is US economy pushes people to make a lot of money quickly instead of making reliable low profit cars like corrola or civic and refine them year after year.
      and if you see the problem like that there's really no solution. people are always gonna choose short term interest over long term interest... we are screwed!!!

Comment

Well, I thank Al Gore for inventing the internet. I mean, how else would I know that my Texas Charvel was built in Ontario, Canada? Not only that, it's so cool that his Hybrid Leer Jet takes him all over the country so he can 'splain the inconvenient truths to us people who "just don't get it"....which is for the greater good, I'm sure. Rock on there Al!

WARNING - PARENTAL ADVISORY

I love that one!

Comment

Al Gore is a TOOL and a liar.
          SUVs dont cause high gas prices.People that invest in gas futures cause the price changes.Nothing we do is going to cause global warming or cause a hole in the ozone layer.
          The earth is actually in a cold cycle at this time.
          MM you need to quit reading Time magazine or you local paper and start thinking for yourself.
          Last edited by straycat; 06-18-2006, 12:39 AM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
            MM you need to quit reading Time magazine or you local paper and start thinking for yourself.
            when you get sick and go see a doctor, I assume you do that,
            do you trust the doctor or you think about the treatment yourself?
            global warming has been examined like any other scientific finding including the ones you depend on in medical science.

Comment

So it's being caused by excessive amounts of CO2? Well I guess now I have a motive to punch a long list of people in the jaw.
              If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

In my opinion these facts are not really questionable:

- The use of combustible energy sources causes a lot of trouble including global warming.

- The more energy from combustible sources is in demand the higher the price.

- Tipper Gore (wife of Al) tried in the eighties to ban and/or stigmatise certain contents (lyrics) in music.

From that point of view I think it is common sense that the use of energy should be executed responsibly - meaning: save energy people! It´s good for anyones budget, it´s good for the rest of the world.

Secondly freedom of speach is essential to any free society.

Comment

As much as you can try to do what you can in the US or UK, you have no control over what other counties do to pollute the earth. Anyone been to Mexico City recently? I've heard its noxious. I was in China about 2 months ago. I had the opportunity to go go on a drive between a few industrial cities and there was not blue sky for over 125 km. It was all a hazy, smoky gray color. Unregulated cars and factories over there are polluting the world at an absurd rate and their government could care less... So what's the bigger problem, SUVs with low gas milage or the overall world-wide global industrial economy? I believe the US and other countries have improved greatly over the last 20 years, but how can you try to protect something your neighbors are knowingly destroying?

BTW... I have not seen Al Gore's movie/propganda piece. Is it free to download or do you have to pay to brainwashed?

BTW2... I am not anti-democrat or ultra-consertive or liberal, I just feel everyone has an agenda.

Comment

Yeah I think a better way to start that sort of fight is to get rapidly developing countries (most notably China and India) to be more efficient. If not they will end up overshadowing anything the US could ever do.

Not that we shouldn't do anything here, I just think there is more to gain elsewhere

Comment

Well it´s global warming so for that it´s a global problem. I am no expert on environmental issues at all but I asumme that I am not so far from the truth in assuming that the develloped world, mostly europe and northamerica, are consuming 60% of combustible resources and represent less than 10% of world population. That´s what I´d call disbalanced. Experts here probably know the numbers a lot better than me but I am sure it´ll stay very disbalanced.
                      Last edited by 5074charvel; 06-18-2006, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Real scientists tell the actual inconvenient truth. My favorite part, "Carleton University paleoclimatologist Professor Tim Patterson testified, "There is no meaningful correlation between CO2 levels and Earth's temperature over this [geologic] time frame. In fact, when CO2 levels were over ten times higher than they are now, about 450 million years ago, the planet was in the depths of the absolute coldest period in the last half billion years." I continue to be astonished that people are such sheep.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

So prior to The Indusrial Revolution the Earth was as it is sapposed to be?

The daytime surface temperature of Venus is 870 degrees (F),the daytime surface temperature of Mars is 80 degrees(F).The average daytime temperature of the Earth is 62.We are about half the distance from Venus that we are from Mars.

Given the relative distances,that should place this planet's average daily temperature at about 490 degrees F.

They ASSUME global warming is a man made issue.They ASSUME the ozone layer is sapposed to be there.

Have they considered that the ozone is possibly a product of the ice age,and that this sphere still has not completely come out of it yet??

More than likely not..
                          Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Of course we're not completely out of the ice age, there's still ice!

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb91
                              So prior to The Indusrial Revolution the Earth was as it is sapposed to be?

The daytime surface temperature of Venus is 870 degrees (F),the daytime surface temperature of Mars is 80 degrees(F).The average daytime temperature of the Earth is 62.We are about half the distance from Venus that we are from Mars.

Given the relative distances,that should place this planet's average daily temperature at about 490 degrees F.

They ASSUME global warming is a man made issue.They ASSUME the ozone layer is sapposed to be there.

Have they considered that the ozone is possibly a product of the ice age,and that this sphere still has not completely come out of it yet??

More than likely not..
                              That's because we have a stronger atmosphere to protect us though.

Global warming IS real. How else would it have been discovered..? With time our atmosphere would degrade, and this in the time span that we've been studying it, i.e at the most 200 years, maybe around 60 of these with really modern equipment? So out of all this time the Earth has been there, the past 60 years when the atmosphere and ozone layer have been decaying is NOT man made? Ok...

The greenhouse effect is a GOOD thing and it's what protects us from solar flares, from extreme temperatures and everything else that'd kill us in a second. Global warming increases this to effectively turn our atmosphere into a giant ant under a magnifying glass.

Comment

Working...
                              X