Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police run over and kill sunbather

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...n193702D10.DTL

Two police officers patrolling the beach Monday in an SUV ran over and killed a sunbather, who was in California to attend her son's wedding, authorities said.
    The officers in the patrol vehicle did not immediately realize they ran over the woman and continued driving, police Cmdr. Tom Chronister said in a statement.
    A witness called the Oxnard Fire Department to report the woman was bleeding on the beach just south of the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Resort.
    Cindy Conolly, 49, of Sioux City, Iowa, was staying at the hotel with her fiance and several other family members, said Mike Feiler, senior deputy medical examiner in the Ventura County coroner's office. Feiler, who met with family members at the hotel, said they were all in town for the wedding.
    "Obviously, they're devastated," Feiler said.
    The officers, who were not immediately identified, had stopped on a small berm of sand to observe a swimmer whom they thought was in distress. When they saw the swimmer was fine, they drove over the berm and apparently ran over the woman's head as she was lying about a foot from the berm's downward slope, authorities said.
    "Given the soft nature of the sand and the size of the vehicle, it would have been easy for them to not sense that they had ran over something," Feiler said, adding the officers likely couldn't see Conolly at the bottom of the berm.
    An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on paid leave pending an investigation into the incident.
    Feiler said Conolly's fiance left her at the beach and had been expecting to meet her back at the hotel at a specific time. "When she didn't show up, he became concerned and inquired the hotel staff, that's when they told him about the accident," Feiler said.
    Police shut down a stretch of the beach to investigate. Oxnard is located about 55 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

It's sad, but kinda funny in a really fucked up way

wow, that's sad. We had a similar incident here last summer, with campers sleeping on the beach on Fraser Island.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=2432172005
    Hail yesterday

Comment

my God, thats insanity!

my heart goes out to all involved, just a fucking bizarre situation!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
        wow, that's sad. We had a similar incident here last summer, with campers sleeping on the beach on Fraser Island.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=2432172005
        Heh, I've been on Fraser Island. Great place. My guess is that they were stoned off their gourds. I know I was when I was there!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Same happened in St. Pete 10 years ago. Person involved survived.

How can one possibly run over a person on a beach? I don´t get it. Substances involved?

Comment

Er, people like to lay down on the beach, and lifeguard and police vehicles also drive on the beach. It's up to the officers to make sure they don't run over any sunbathers. A berm is like a little hill.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

if the police spend a lot of time driving round the beach they shouldve know better. Perhaps they had been on the juice in their break time?
              If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

Comment

That's why they're in trouble.

Comment

The officers, who were not immediately identified, had stopped on a small berm of sand to observe a swimmer whom they thought was in distress. When they saw the swimmer was fine, they drove over the berm and apparently ran over the woman's head as she was lying about a foot from the berm's downward slope, authorities said.
                  Translation: They were watching some super hot girl and weren't watching where they were going.

Comment

THats a horrible story....
                    Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                    Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by MEX3
                      Translation: They were watching some super hot girl and weren't watching where they were going.
                      Yep. When I saw this yesterday, that is exactly what I thought. These retards were scoping some ass and ran over a woman's FUCKING HEAD with their 5,000 pound retard-mobile.

JAIL.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                        Er, people like to lay down on the beach, and lifeguard and police vehicles also drive on the beach. It's up to the officers to make sure they don't run over any sunbathers. A berm is like a little hill.
                        I can picture in my mind what happened and I can understand why the woman "might" not be seen, but it's still no excuse. I foresee two unemployed cops and multiple civil suits.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
                          Yep. When I saw this yesterday, that is exactly what I thought. These retards were scoping some ass and ran over a woman's FUCKING HEAD with their 5,000 pound retard-mobile.

JAIL.

Mike
                          Mike you have a way of getting right to the point!
                          +1
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY
                            I can picture in my mind what happened and I can understand why the woman "might" not be seen, but it's still no excuse. I foresee two unemployed cops and multiple civil suits.
                            Let me make clear I was not excusing the cops.

Comment

A lot of cops are dumbasses. It's the sad truth.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X