OT: Who has a great job - what and where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Who has a great job - what and where

It makes me sick seeing all of these threads about people being laid off and such. I think it might help out our bros to know what's out there that's good (if there is anything).

I have a great job, programming AS/400's and doing JDEdwards stuff, but my company is tanking because upper management sucks and couldn't sell heaters to Eskimos. Our sales have gone down over 1/2 in 4 years. They say we are still "profitable" because they've laid off over 1/2 the work force, and those they didn't have quit.

I'd say stay away from IT - local shops around me outsource to India, making the job market here tough.

So who's working for a great company with a good long-term future (are there any)?

I have a great job. I work for the Borg.

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I work in an IP law firm.

I have a great boss

And one of my subordinates has big boobs
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

More so today than before, nothing is long term.
        Personally, I'd like to have/run my own business.
        Unfortunately, it seems not in this life time, still, thats what I'd like to do most.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
          I have a great job. I work for the Borg.

+1

Lot of hours, lot of stress, but I love it.

Comment

My job is awesome. I work for the Western Canada Lottery Corporation in the Gaming department. Basically we process all the tickets and run winner selection based on the numbers that are drawn. Lots of accounting and manitenence of the online and offline game systems too. It's a 24/7 operation, but I love nights. We crank up the tunes and the people I work with are (for the most part) fantastic. Pays pretty damn good too. Unless I become a rich rock star, I will most likely retire here.
            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I work for Adobe Systems as a QA Engineer. Nothing better then having to work on good video editing, audio editing, print, imaging, design software. The hours can be a bitch sometimes but, I love my job. =) I live in a hole of a lab with no windows and alot of sound proofing. All the guys I work with are ex-hardcore metal heads and most everyone on my floor plays a instrument.

My only regret is where I live. The cost of living in Silicon Valley is a huge ass pile of dogshit. Who ever thought that a two bedroom condo(~1100) would cost in the upper 500K. I make a damn good salery and barely squeak by sometimes.

-Nate
              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by Big D
                +1

Lot of hours, lot of stress, but I love it.
                you guys build terminators?

PS: where's the scratch-the-head smilie??I want it!!

Comment

I just left IBM after many years to go back to work for American Express.
                  Much better company with respect to how they treat their employees.
                  I'm currently a Lead Programmer for their Foreign Exchange Services division.
                  The hours are good and the pay is great... I may even see a raise this year.
                  I didn't get a raise or even a cost of living increase from IBM the last 3 years I was there. (They cited increased internal costs and other B.S, yet the CEO got multi-million dollar bonuses every year!)
                  And they almost tripled the cost of their healthcare benefits for this year alone!
                  So you can see why I left.
                  -Rick

Comment

I have the best job in the world...
                    I am a homedad to my 5 and 3 year old. Just left my job of 8 years at age 37 and never plan on going back. Never been happier in my life.....

As the saying goes, it's great work if you can get it!
                    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

The current situation I'm in sucks, but the job itself is great. I manage a hotel. Always something different, meet lots of great folks.

Comment

Show supervisor, Tweeter Center, Boston. I have my own office backstage, full access, AND a freakin' golf cart with a canopy. Get to see 40+ shows every year, LOTS of crazy shi* too! Excellent job!
                        Last edited by Mr Graphic; 06-13-2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Senior software developer/Architect for the Eclipsys corp. in Boston
                          healthcare systems. As long my division doesn't go to India, I'm good, the company is in good shape.
                          I'm surprised how many IT/developer/programmers there are on this board.
                          rock on fellow geeks
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

self employed, semi retired, cattle rancher, had to work like hell to get here and its still alot of work, but worth it, I still have to do construction work from time to time to make ends meet but thats not too hard to take, I'm currently building a cabin on a buddys tree farm/nursery, he runs a landscape biz at the beach and grows a few thousand trees and plants up here near me. He's a guitar player also, so we added a covered stage/deck on it so we can all get together and play there year round. pics to come. life is good
                            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn
                              I have the best job in the world...
                              I am a homedad to my 5 and 3 year old. Just left my job of 8 years at age 37 and never plan on going back. Never been happier in my life.....

As the saying goes, it's great work if you can get it!
                              lucky fugger I wish I could be a stay at home dad. Its not an easy job...I'd trade places with my stay at home wife in a heartbeat if she could make the coin I do...no...I gotsa job, work and get paid before I get to spend time with the younguns :ROTF:
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X