2000 Plymouth Neon repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Plymouth Neon repairs

Hey guys, I need to repair 3 things on my 2000 Plymouth Neon. It has a 2.0L motor.

The AC stopped working. I don't hear the compressor cycling on and off. It also looks like the pully that is on the compressor isn't spinning smoothly although it could just be an optical illusion. It doesn't make any unusual noises and the serpentine belt doesn't squeal or sqeak. It just looks like the belt is getting worn on one edge. I need to replace the belt for sure. It has 70K on it.

Also... I need to replace the front struts. The car is a little loose and I am sure they need to be replaced.

So....

Is replacing the serpentine belt hard to do on this car? Do I need that belt tensioner tool to do it?
    Is there anything I could check regarding the AC not working?
    Are struts hard to replace? I am pretty sure I will need a strut compressor. I replaced a set of struts years ago on a Honda but I don't remember how difficult it was.

I say cut your losses and sell that piece o yit!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Struts are like 149.00 at pep boys and if it needs aligned add another 50. If your AC is not cycling then it may just need to have some 134a added to it. Most places charge about 79-80 for an AC service or 30 or so to tell you what is wrong with it. If the belt runs it all it will be about 20.00 to 25.00 and about a half hour of labor to install if no mounts need to be removed. The general cost to run a paid for auto is about 2/3 the expense of a new one. Bitch of it is the damn things generally need the money all at once so the out of pocket is a pain in the ass.

Comment

134a you can buy at the auto parts store, and guage it in yourself.

Comment

Oh yeah, and for the a/c, check any relays and fuses.

Comment

Working...
          X