Traveling to Tokyo, advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to Tokyo, advice needed

My best friend is getting married in Sept. I wanted to go to Rio in Brazil for his Bachelor party, but it turns out his woman was like F NO, you can't go there(she runs alot on the jealous side, poor guy), guess she thought he wouldn't want to come back after hanging out in Impanema for a week. He then suggest that we should go to the island of Hawaii, I was never to keen on this idea, even though we are all booked and paid to go I wanted to do something that would be real unique for a bachelor party. Our timeframe is mid August 7th -the 11th. I've been thinking about this, and yesterday decided that screw it I want to go to Japan instead. I called up my friend and brother in law and tell them, screw Hawaii we're going to Tokyo instead. Everyone was cool with it. Now here is the deal, I have no clue where to stay and what to check out. I've narrowed our hotel to the the Grand Hyatt/Four Seasons at Marunouchi(ginza district). If anyone has any advice on what to see or where to hang out, outside of the typical tourist(i.e Mt. Fuji, Imperial Palace)stuff. I would love any suggestions. Where are all those awesome guitar and electronic store I always hear about?
    Last edited by VinceV; 06-03-2006, 04:19 PM.
    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

It's Mt. Fuji, not Fugi. Sorry to nitpick...

What type of things are you looking to do? Typical bachelor party shenanigans, or do you want to take in the culture?

I didn't care for Tokyo a whole lot. It is just a big city. I am sure there are plenty of bars and clubs to go to if that's what you're after. Kyoto is the place to go if you want a peek into Japan's history; all of the oldest temples and shrines are located in Kyoto.

If you head to Shinjuku, you can visit the infamous "soap land" area, which are basically massage parlors where they soap you up and rub you down.

Picking up a Fodor's Travel Guide to Japan is always a good start.

Enjoy your trip. I love Japan.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Don't fly there in a B-25. Bombs away!!!!!
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Actually, I'm not looking to go and drink and hang out in stripclubs. I can do that here. I would like to check out the culture, past and present. We already planned to take the bullet train to Kyoto, so I am excited about that.
        Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV
          I would like to check out the culture, past and present. We already planned to take the bullet train to Kyoto, so I am excited about that.
          Yep, I did the same thing. I stayed at a hotel right by the Kyoto train station. Lots of stuff to do in that area as well; restaurants, etc. I spent two or three days in Kyoto; you won't be bored, that's for sure.

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

The electronics shop you are talking about is called Akihabara. It is along the famous train line in Tokyo called "Yamanote Line". Train station name is of course "Akihabara". Its where the latest electronics stuff are located.

And the good news is. One station away from it is "Ochanomizu" station.
            This is the area where ALL guitars of all brands are being sold. The stores line up next to each other.

Heck, I even met Joe Perry there when Aerosmith was in town, and he was buying all these insane guitars from one shop to another.

One thing to note though: everything in Japan is expensive. As for the soap land that was mentioned earlier, from what I know, foreigners are not allowed there.

Ummm, not that I would know anything about that.

Enjoy your stay in Japan

Comment

Bachelor party in Tokyo??
              I'd suggest to go to Roppongi where many clubs and bars are open late.
              Also there is a 1day tour bus by Hato bus in Tokyo.
              http://www.hatobus.com/
              I took that 5-6years ago and it was fun. English speaking tour guide will be on the bus.
              It wasn't expensive and nice lunch was included.

As for hotels, I'd recommend one in NishiShinjuku area such as Keio Plaza Hotel.
              So you can take 5mins walk to Kabukicho for nightlife.
              Also easy access to other areas like Ikebukuro or Shibuya.

Comment

Vince-

Check your PM's.
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Working...
                X