X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hot Ripoff Peppers

http://newstoday.com/stereo/player.p...1706-petty.mp3

BUSTED!

Now the real question is ... can RHCP sue themselves for copying the same song over and over again 28 times on the same album?

*sigh* [/puts on Blood Sugar Sex Majik]

-a

Damn those songs did sound the same. I knew that I had heard the song before.

As for suing themselves, didn't John Foggerty get sued for supposedly stealing one his own songs from his days with CCR. Apparently, whoever owned the rights to his music though he sounded to much like himself.
    Last edited by krimson; 06-01-2006, 02:58 PM.
    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Come on now......How many songs can you name that use the Am,F,G progression. Rock wouldn't be the same if we could only have one song that used that pattern.Not to mention.E,A,D or God forbid G,C,D.
      While I understand what they are saying and am very much against outright or intentional plagerism how many times have we sat down and just fiddled around on guitar and come up with some pretty decent ideas only to realize that it sounded like or similar to something else.
      There's only been like 500 bazillion quadrillion guitar players out there sooner or later you're going to write something that is similar to something else.
      Did you ever come up with an idea that was really good but you had to change it until it sounded like crap just so you wouldn't be accused of ripping some song off? ......it can be real frustrating sometimes!

Comment

every musician is copying himself to some degree, it's called STYLE. you've got to have certain trademarks. now, sticking to basic progressions like a f c often sounds lame and well, uninspired, although it can work in certain situations, for example as a contrast to an otherwise almost atonal song.

i just recently noticed that one of my favorite bands and friends of mine are repeating themselves quite a lot. there's a song on a 1995 album that has the progression B, D, E, G as the solo backing, which is also the backing for the chorus melody of a song on a record from 1998, and last but not least, one of the songs off their new record starts with a melody over the chords Bb, Db, Eb, so basically the very same thing they've been doing for 10 years but tuned town a semitone and without the 4th chord

Comment

by the way, i'm not totally sure, but either the RHCP or the tom petty song is horribly out of tune - i actually think it's the RHCP version.

Comment

I wonder who is going to file suit against those DJ's for ripping off the cookie cutter, ridiculously annunciated radio voices they are using.

Comment

yeah, who are these guys? is it the jiveass and company radio shaooow?
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The chords, rhythm, groove and timing are the same...The vocal melody is very close and the lyrics are also too close for comfort...undeniably more than just a similarity. Probably not conscious, but definately unconsciosly influanced imho.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

sevser, clear your PMs, I wanna send you a PM...about your last post...heh
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

it's certainly not about spelling is it RON

Comment

definitely maybe it is
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

i'd say that they owe tom petty a writing credit or a royalty check.
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

"I like pleasure spiked with pain and you can be my aeroplane...."

"And I'm freeeeeeee. Free fallin'......."

By GODS! They're identical!!
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

When did Richard Dreyfuss get his own radio show?

Comment

Busted

Comment

Working...
                              X