EBay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBay question

I have eBayed over the last 5 years as both a buyer and a seller, but came across a buyer that really has given me both the fits and some concern. I put my Taylor acoustic up for sale last night and set the auction up to only continental US buyers. Of course with my luck a zero feedback Canadian buyer uses buy it now and flubs the whole thing up. He contacts me after I send him the typical "WTF is wrong with you?!" e-mail and says he is sorry, but would I still go through with the auction and ship to his friend in New Jersey. That doesn't really bother me so much, but now he wants his friend to complete the sale by paying for it since the buyer is a sailor (?!) and hasn't got the time to do so. The 3rd party friend says, "hey, how about a Bank Check from my bank Account?" I respond by saying that I only accept Paypal and US Postal Money orders.

Here is the quandry. I am a little leary of this whole 3rd party thing to begin with, and want to know if there is any way, assuming the guy sticks to my payment instructions, that I can get screwed here. I absolutley won't accept a Bank Check from someone for a high dollar auction to start with, but are there other pitfalls with a paypal payment or Postal M.O. I need to know about? There is no way in hell I am shipping my Taylor out unless I have cash in hand. Finally, to save on UPS charges, the guy in Jersey wants me to use his UPS account. Wierd stuff.

To me it all seems a bit fishy. What do you guys think?

chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

A bank check should be secure becuase the sender pays the bank and the bank ensures the check (certified). Unless of coarse it's fake. I would just tell him that you need seven business days for it to clear. The whole thing does sound fishy to me but I just had a similiar experience with a 4200.00 les paul and it went just fine. The scams IMO are often someone selling an item that does not exist. If he sends paypal, wait until you withdraw the $$ and its in your account. Good luck!

Comment

yeah a certified bank check, or cashiers check should be fine...take it to your bank, make sure it's legit, wait for the money to clear, and then ship after everything.

If he uses paypal SEND THE ITEM WItH DELIVERY CONFIRMATION, SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION AND INSURANCE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
        If he sends paypal, wait until you withdraw the $$ and its in your account. Good luck!
        Oh hell yeah. No guitar until payment clears and is in my hands.

chuck

Comment

I won an item on ebay, used my own ebay account, but my mother used her paypal to pay for it. no problems. the twit did fail to post the item until thursday instead of tuesday as stated, but no biggy. the POSTMAN on the other hand silently tapped on the door at 8am knowing it's a huge shared house and I had to find the mystery depot. grrrr...
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Isn't it against ebay rules to have a third party pay for an item and doesn't it void the protection policy to ship to an unconfirmed address?

Chuck

Comment

Don't forget to read this whole page:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                Don't forget to read this whole page:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm
                Yeah, they say the same thing I was thinking "Never accept a third party check"

and "never use a buyers services (i.e. shipping)

Those are the things setting off my warning bells.

Chuck

Comment

I just emailed the buyer this...

"I have been informed that third party deals void both the sellers and buyers protections put in place for us by ebay. I have to say that it isn't that I don't trust you, but it seems to me that this isn't working out very well. I respect the fact that your job makes closing this auction very difficult, but I can't run the risk of something going wrong either in payment or shipping that hurts either one of us in the end. My gut feeling is that we should both agree to back out of this arrangement, no harm no foul. I am out my listing fees, but thats a small price to pay to ensure that nothing goes wrong. Sorry, it's just what I feel is right. Please get in touch with me if you have a problem with this. I will NOT leave you poor feedback and hope that you respond in kind to me Please accept my apologies in this matter."

I would rather take the negative feedback then risk the scam. Thanks for the advice and points of view guys.

chuck

Comment

That was a classy note!

Good luck.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What are the odds you could just cancel his winning bid?

Comment

Zip, once the auction is over you are done.

chuck

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                          That was a classy note!
                          +1 nicely done!
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Guys not giving up easy. He wants me to accept a wire transfer or cashiers check from this other guy. I told him no. The only way I will complete the auction is if he has a confirmed address and deals directly himself and not thru a third party. I hate the fees attached, but I will only accept a paypal payment from him for the guitar. I am giving the guy 48 hours because he sounded sincere, but won't compromise on the shipping address or payment. I finally told the guy that this was all explained verbatim in the auction, he ignored it. Now I wait 48 hours to see if he can pull it off.

Thing that gets me is that these guitars sell all the time for my buy it now price. He is getting silly for nothing.

oh well.

chuck

Comment

Bank Checks, cashiers checks, Bank Money Orders have too many grey areas as to what is actually guaranteed funds and what can have a stop payment put on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X