Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help... speeding ticket/insurance related.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help... speeding ticket/insurance related.

So I got my first speeding ticket in 3-4 years about a week ago driving my fiance's car. I own the car but she drives it. I go to get the insurance out of the glove box and it is not there. I am not sure why the insurance was not there but it wasnt.

I got a ticket for going 40 in a 30 and not having proof of insurance. The cop said all I need to do is fax them a copy of my insurance within 10 days and everything would be fine.

I faxed them a copy a few days later (I got the ticket on the 19th) thinking everything will be ok. I paid the fine for the ticket and all should be well right? I have not had any violations for quite some time.

Well today I get a letter saying I need to go to court because the information I faxed them was not valid or something like that. I look at my insurance papers that I faxed them (I received a copy of my insurance via fax a day after the ticket cuz I could not find it) and the date the coverage starts on the paper was the 20th.. I am thinking WTF is going on? Well it turns out my new 6 month policy takes effect on the 20th of this particular month and lasts until october 20th. They must be thinking I did not have coverage or something because they saw the new date on the card.

I get on the phone with my insurance guy who happens to be a close personal friend and he is going to write a letter to the county attorney saying what happened and stuff. If i have to go to court that is fine.. I will deal with that cept for one tiny little problem....

I WILL BE ON MY FRIGGIN HONEYMOON I'm not about to kabosh my wedding/honeymoon plans for one tiny little speeding ticket (again the first in 3-4 years)

WTF am I supposed to do? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Was it a certified letter? If not, you never "got" the letter.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

How do I tell if it is certified?

Seriously I am freaking out here.. I am in the process of getting my marriage license, getting married, putting the last few weeks of work into my new house (sod, siding, carpet, etc), buying the friggin house (again, scared sh*tless this will somehow affect things like my mortage, getting married, etc, etc) The wedding is 38 days away... That is a whole nother ball of wax to deal with.

Again I do not really mind going to court, just not on my honeymoon.. I think that is pretty reasonable eh?

Comment

Just write the court and tell them why you want a delay. You didn't kill anyone. I'm sure they will understand. Particularly if your insurance guy helps.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
          Just write the court and tell them why you want a delay. You didn't kill anyone. I'm sure they will understand. Particularly if your insurance guy helps.
          Yeah, write them a letter telling them what the deal is and that you'll be out of town. The judge may just dismiss the case, or they'll give you another date.
          I got pulled over by a cop on a horse once for making an illegal right turn... yes, it is pretty funny, a horse!! The first court date was adjourned, then the new court date came up months later after I had moved out of state. I wrote to the court, explained what happened, that I was in a town I hadn't been to before to do a job and couldn't see the "no turns" sign because a big bus was in front of me, and I had recently moved out of state and couldn't come back any time soon. The judge dismissed the case and I didn't have to pay the stupid fine or any court costs.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

so the letter should help? I will send it off tomorrow. Should I expect to hear a reply before my scheduled date?

Ya I definately did not kill anyone lol.

Comment

Send the letter certified mail return receit requested. As for a reply before your date, who knows, but it will be on record. You are getting way too excited about this. What's the max? 30days?:ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Call the clerk of the court and ask to get the date changed. If you explain why, they'll almost certainly be cool about it.

As to the insurance thing, don't sweat it. Just have your agent give you a copy of the card for your policy that was in effect on the date you were pulled over. Supply the court with a copy of this, and it should get immediately dismissed.

Circumstantial disclaimer: I notice that you said "county court". The one outlier here is that local courts can vary a lot, depending on the jurisdiction and judge. Most will be cool for this minor stuff, esp. if your record is pretty clean. But if you got unlucky enough to be nabbed in a county with a douchebag hardass judge and/or where the county loves to trump up BS charges for revenue raisers, watch your step. Do everything by the book, and say "please" and "thank you" to the local yocals. Otherwise, you may end up grabbing your ankles and/or emptying your wallet.

Comment

Calling is good too. But I would definitely send a letter. Here, in Lynnwood, just north of Seattle, the traffic court judge couldn't be more laid back if his seat turned into a La-z-Boy. He was so cool. He knocked down my potential fine from $565 to $165. Thank you, YOUR HONOR!!!! Sir.
                  Last edited by fett; 05-03-2006, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Getting the ticket on the 19th and your insurance being dated the 20th is a big red flag. Many, many people try to get insurance AFTER a ticket/accident/whatever to try and beat the system....that's probably what they think is going on.

Comment

Well they will more than likely move the date, but this headache would have been avoided had you had your insurance card in your car.

Comment

Don't get a ticket
                        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Don't get married.
                          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer
                            Don't get married.
                            Yeah, maybe its an early sign.

Seriously though, call the court clerk. Not only will you be able to get it postponed, but you also might be able to settle the entire thing without setting foot inside the court room. Tell the clerk the story, and chances are they'll be willing to work with you. Im speaking from experience here, Ive been to traffic court more times than I care to remember.
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I have been to court just one too many times and you can just simply call and have the date changed. If they are real pricks and say no....get a Lawyer to go on your behalf. Its perfectly fine to do that as well

Comment

Working...
                              X