21 Fret shredders????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 Fret shredders????

How many of you shred on a 21 fret neck?
    I find 22 frets the absolute minimum and I prefer 24.
    Are there many 21 fret pro shredders besides Malmsteen?
    Does Joe Stump use 21 frets?
    Malmsteen doesn't have any problem hitting any high note he wants. Heck, he was hitting higher notes on the G3 tour with a 21 fret neck and a standard non locking trem than Vai or Satch and they use 24 frets with full floating trems!
    Is the key using light to heavy strings? I heard Yngwie uses 8-46
    Whats your opinion... I'd like to know.
    Last edited by jgcable; 05-02-2006, 09:03 AM.

Originally posted by jgcable
    Is the key using light to heave strings?

*attempts to play with a flash light*

Seriously though, I don't know. I never listened much to Yngwie, but I figure he's come up with ways of getting around the limitations of the 21 fret neck. You have bends of course. You can also use harmonics to make higher pitched notes than what you'd normally be able to hit. A thinner string would certainly be easier to bend higher, but I figure there must be a tradeoff in tone, as well as a greater risk of breakage?

Comment

Chris Impellitteri.

I shred on my 21 fret YJM but sometimes i miss the 24 fret.

If Yngwie hit higher notes than Vai he must have picked harmonics over the neck and middle SC and used the trem.

Or... used mega bends. It's possible with his setup: .008, tuned half step down, scalloped fretboard.

Yngwie also uses an octaver sometimes, i guess...
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Yngwie regularly bends his high E to the 2nd octave or even higher. I have 2 Fender strats with 21 fret necks and its a virtually impossible bend. I use 9's currently tuned 1/2 step down. I am thinking about just replacing the high E with an 8 and see what happens.
        I haven't used 8 gauge strings since I first started playing almost 30 years ago. I used to use Fender Super Bullet 8's.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
          I heard Yngwie uses 8-46
          Well, his Dean Markley signature set is 9-42.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got all the Malmsteen instructional tapes. In his latest, Malmsteen say's he has several 24 and 22 fret guitars, but does not care for them. He doesn't say why. He states that the 21 fret Stratocaster is the ultimate guitar. Also, it has to be vintage white, or as I call it banana yellow.
            I think you can shred on any guitar. Maybe not a Gibson J-200 though. LOL!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I didn't even know he had signature strings from Dean Markley. Last I heard, he was still using Fender Super Bullets Super Light 8's.

Comment

Yeah, they just came out recently. There are 6 different types/gauges, the 9-42s are not what he uses they are just "Yngwie approved". Here's the link:http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/E...msteenEl.shtml
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

george bellas is using a strat iirc. smoking player

Comment

Malmsteen uses Dean Markley part # 8811 which is 8-48
                    Its official.
                    That would be considered custom gauge extra light top heavy bottom.

Comment

Yngwie uses the regular 10's set.
                      For the tour he changes the high E 10 for a 8 because the doesn't want to ruin his hands.
                      When he records then it's 10
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

21 frets is fine with me. i am not a super-shredder, but i have been "shredding" more lately than i have in the past. and i have mostly been playing my 21 fret strat. it just seems easier than my 24 fret guitars. i don't know why....there is just something about the fender stratocaster that is SO easy to play. i use .009's in standard tuning. my strat is set up SO well that the strings have a nice spongy feel that allows for killer bends.

granted i am not malmsteen, but it is easier to shred (for me) on my 21 fret start, and actually, my 21 fret telecaster!!!
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

i totally miss the 22nd fret.

i may be the only guy who things 24 frets are too close together. My fingers don't do well up there.

22's are perfect. whether on a Gibson scale or a 25.5.

Comment

i agree with you. 24 frets ARE to close together!!
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yeah John..I got a a USA Fender "Floyd Rose classic" Strat..Vintage White (YJM color) w/ Maple and a PAF pro in the bridge..

I like it because it has a bit more "bite" than my Jackson/Charvels..and I seem to get adjusted playing it whenever I break it out..sounds lively thru the Uber..

I like it..but I also have 22 and 24 fret geetars too..I have uses for all of them..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X