PC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC question

ok I got a new PC at work, my old one was a Win98, now I'm in an XP machine.

but it appears that our nice MIS dept added some function that prevents downloaded files from being opened/run. I dl'd a screensaver from the net and when I doubleclick to open it, my system locks up and I have to ctrlAltDelete to end the non-responding application. and I have WinZip so that is not the problem.

anyone know what they did and how to hack it so I can open files I download?

thanks.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Does it happen for all files you download, or only for this particular one? Screensavers (.scr) are known to be a haven for all kinds of virus and scripts, so maybe its just some anti-virus protection that goes nuts?

Comment

thanks monk. I'm certain that what you said about screensavers having viruses in general is the precise reason they did this to all our new PC's. fuckers. LOL

anyway it is only the .exe files that it is doing this with.

and I rightclicked and ran virus check on the file, and it was clean, and it still reacted the exact same way as I initially described.

any other ideas?

Comment

Yup, download it to your home PC, put it on a disk , take it to work and install it fron the disk.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Are you a local Administrator on the box? If you are on a network and part of a domain, AD policies are probably preventing you from running EXE files. Just a thought...
          Try it at home and see what happens on that box...
          Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Hum, I am not sure skorb. It happens to all .exe-files you download?
            Most exe-files has a built in protection that knows exactly how large the file should be (some kind of checksum method). If something, for example a virus, has altered the file it wont work. But, if it happens to all .exe-files you download there is probably something else that is wrong. Maybe something goes wrong when you download stuff through your web-browser. What is the name of the process that locks up? Same as the name of the file, or some windows process?

Edit: Yes, Superfly is probably right.

Comment

thanks all!

I think Superfly is correct, they are simply preventing exe files (or certain kinds like screensavers) from running.

LouSiffer, I will try the grab at home and transport to work idea, that sounds like a great idea.

btw, anyone ever heard of a program or application called Sneakypete? it is on my registry and won't let me open it to see what it is. hmm.

Comment

I never trust a screensaver that requires an exe to install it.
                Typicaly all you would need is the .scr file. Just drop it in Windows\System32 dir and you're good to go.
                Some flash screensavers require the .swf file be present as well, but anything else I just stay away from.
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
                  btw, anyone ever heard of a program or application called Sneakypete? it is on my registry and won't let me open it to see what it is. hmm.
                  SneakyPete is a password entry program; it's discussed briefly here:

http://www.itworld.com/nl/java_sec/02222002/
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                  X