No announcement yet.

anyone here ever dislocate a shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here ever dislocate a shoulder?

I dislocated my shoulder yesterday at Judo. The guy who was throwing me, did a bad throw, and I landed on him.

We heard a loud pop, and I said "I think you just broke my damn arm". We go to the ER, it was a dislocation.

I have to wait until Monday to see the Dr. He said that he was to wait for the sweeling and shit to go down before they do anything.

My arm (not my shoulder, but my the top of my arm by the shoulder) is in so much fucking pain. It keeps spasming and it hurts to move it. I took it out of the sling so I could type, and try and use it a little bit, but it's going back in.

Anyone else ever have this? How long was your recovery time?

Thanks!

My brother dislocated his knee while playing a gig onstage and the singer just popped it back in right there. He never got it looked at and now he's got issues till this day (this was like 5-6 years ago) Good thing your getting it checked out, I can't tell ya how long it'll be for recovery, but good luck man

Comment

I have. Did it on my BMX bike many years ago on a half pipe. Total recovery was about 2 weeks IIRC. The pain is not so much the dislocation at this point for you.....its the pinched/bruised/damaged nerves.-Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I found this on the net.

Studies show that about 50% of people who have dislocated their shoulder once will dislocate their shoulder again. The risk of a second dislocation is much higher in people who are very young when they dislocate their shoulder for the first time. For instance, one study showed that 90% of people who were between the ages of 11 and 20 when they dislocated their shoulder for the first time had their shoulder come out of joint again. Because the risk of recurrence cannot be eliminated with physical therapy, treatments vary for different groups of people. Very competitive athletes, soldiers, and construction workers who work at high heights are often offered an operation after their first dislocated shoulder. People who do not do these kinds of activities are usually treated without an operation. This difference in treatment philosophy is based upon the fact that there are some people who may seriously injure themselves if their shoulder slips out of joint again at the wrong time. For instance, an ironworker that works on tall buildings could fall if they were to dislocate their shoulder again while climbing scaffolding. Your doctor will be able to discuss with you whether or not you are someone who should have an operation after your first shoulder dislocation.

That's reassuring.

Comment

It could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks depending on the severity of the injury to the surrounding tissues. LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR. There are alot of moving parts in there! I know alot about shoulders. I'm a weight/power lifter. Slow and steady wins the race... and I know.. it hurts like a bitch.

Comment

you have to wait till monday for them to pop it back in? did i read you right?!

i dislocated my shoulder skiing a while back. i eventually had to get surgery cuz it kept popping out. but that was because i was into weight lifting and doing stupid shit like military presses with lots of weight. I would opt to avoid the surgery at all costs because you're never the same again. rotation, range of motion, etc. is all fucked up. also started having serious upper back pains after the surgery till this day. because the surgery tightens everything up and pulls your upper back muscles in weird ways. avoid getting cut if you can help it.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

They reset it at the er. i've got to wait until monday to have my follow up appt.

I hope I don't need surgery.

Comment

I dislocated my shoulder in December of 1992 while snowboarding. Recovery time for me was three weeks until I felt normal again. In March 1993, I did it again - snowboarding.

The first fall was pretty violent and I knew that I was going to be hurt in a bad way. The second dislocation was from a pretty weak fall, but it had the same effect. Recovery time from the second was about five weeks; I assume the first didn't properly heal.

Good luck with your recovery.
                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Damn, DenDen, you'd have no luck if it wasn't bad luck!

Bueno suerte.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I dislocated my shoulder about eight years ago. I was playing hockey, and reached back to smother a loose puck after making a save. Some jackass decided that the play wasn't dead and tried to push the puck along with my arm into the net. I heard a pop and that was it... It hurt like hell. I went to a chiropractor the next day and he popped it back in place. I was in excruciating pain for at least three days.

Just take it easy... hope it gets better!

Comment

Ive dislocated mine a number of times, most recently on a high five hahaha......Do everything the doctor says and the chance of it reoccuring will be reduced significantly. The pain in your upper arm is where the ball joint of your shoulder pushed through the front of your shoulder muscle. There is now a gaping hole there. If you do physio and all that crap you can really help close the hole. PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR do every excersise as often as they say, and you will greatly increase your chances at avoiding re-injury and surgery. Hope everything works out! And dont get too discouraged, cause its not the end of the world.
                      www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

if there's a chance of dislocating it again from a high five, I'm probably not going to be able to do judo anymore I hope whatever is wrong isn't that serious.

Comment

I have never dislocated my shoulder but have come very close several times. Unfortunately even those "partial" dislocations were enough to result in a "labrum tear" which could only be repaired by surgery. I waited over a year to see if it would get better on its own -- it didn't. Recovery from labrum repair surgery is about 6-8 MONTHS. So yeah, shoulder injuries can really SUCK. I'm doing really well now though.

Comment

I partially dislocated or 'froze' my hip once, I wove my thigh up high, like an excersize I used to do in soccerpractice and you could hear it POP & SNAP back into place very very loudly. It hurt like a mofo. Doctor said it wasn't an actual dislocation but a 'freezing' or some crap like that, so it must have hurt a lot worse for ya.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Been there. Every once in a while mine still pops out a very little bit but for the most part it is all good. Sling. Rest. Physical therapy. DOnt push it or it wont heal right ever. Best of luck. No Judo for you for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X