Latest project - Gold cracked mirror Iceman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest project - Gold cracked mirror Iceman

This is a bass I picked up a week or so ago as a wall hanger. I wanted to do something a little different. It has gold hardware, so I decided to see how a gold cracked mirror top would look. Of course pics don't do it justice...In the morning I will take some outdoor pics. The body is routed out, and the mirror sits flush. The pieces are slightly offset so stage lights will break up when reflected. Let me know what you guy's think.

I picked up a new Dean ML, and a Dean round horn V today. I also have an IC300 Iceman, and a B.C. Rich Warlock to do. I'm planning on tricking them out with some new mirror ideas, and hanging them in my shop. Mike K and I have discussed several cool ideas like this for the Jackson CS....we'll see.

P.S.- Not for sale
    Last edited by HuntinDoug; 04-21-2006, 12:02 AM.
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Nice work Doug, the gold looks great. I look forward to seeing the Warlock when it's completed.
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

That looks really cool in gold!
      www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

It looks stunning Doug !!!

Comment

wow dude...that looks totally sweet...d.m.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

very nice indeed!

Comment

Real 70s disco vibe.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

smoked mirror would be even better I think.

Comment

Man, I wish I could do shit like that. I had plans of getting a cracked mirror Iceman job done by KAMN Guitars, but then I discovered Jacksons. Though I wouldn't mind getting a spider web Kelly done like Jack Frost's.
                  If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Thanks guys...
                    KAMN does great work...I saw a B.C. Rich he did at the 2005 NAMM show. He uses glass mirror. I have talked to a couple people who say that the glass really effects the guitars sound. It boosts the treble a lot, and deadens sustain. I have been buying marine grade acrylic, which is closer to real wood in it's density, and is more scratch resistant than regular acrylic. I've done several of these, but never actually got to play one. They always leave my shop before the pups are back in.

I have some black mirror...I'm thinking of doing the Warlock in it. Got a couple other cool ideas like a "J" Iceman. A solid black or green mirror top, with silver mirror stars. What I really want to do is a yellow & black bengal RR in mirror, or maybe a silver & black mirror zebra....I dunno, we'll see.
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

SMOKIN!!! Wow Doug!
                      This is going to be a wallhanger?
                      Love the idea of the black mirrored Warlock, and the silver and black zebra... oooooo.
                      You're my favorite mirror guy you know.

-Em

Comment

Cool, I have alwys wondered how that cracked mirror job is done. Is there any chance you could explain how the process goes? Is there a coating over the mirror?

Comment

I'd buy it!
                          "POOP"

Comment

It's a lengthy process actually. The pieces are a very tight fit with no voids. Without going into too much detail...

1st- Design & layout. I try to make the break pattern look natural.

2nd- Take a dig pic, and scale it it my CAD software (CASmate 7.2). Draw the outside contour, and create an "inline" to achieve the binding.

3rd- Create a pattern to confirm hole & pup locations...make adjustments. I usually have to do 6 or 7 patterns before it matches.

4rth- Prep body, transfer outline to body, hand rout body. I hope to have my vert mill soon!

5th- cut full piece mirror insert, check fit, cut main break lines, check fit, cut small break lines, check fit, adjust fit, check fit...you get the idea.

6th- hand bevel all edges, apply secret adheasive, insert individual pieces, rout any overhanging pieces in pup areas, clean with rubbing alcohol... return to Batcave.
                            >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Freakin Amazing!!!
                              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X