Anyone here in New Mexico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here in New Mexico?

Well, after living my whole life on the Easten shore, I've decided to see what's out West. My girlfriend has been out there a few times and loves it. Me, I can dig the whole cactus/warm weather/desert sand thing, so I'm along for the ride. Now the fun part...looking for a house and jobs.

We're not exactly sure WHERE to start looking. Jabez (Junior) here on the forum said to check out Albuquerque. Someone else said Santa fe. And someone else said no, Santa Fe is crazy expensive to live in, try Alamogordo, etc.

So can any fellow JCF Bros in New Mexcio give me some tips on what areas are cool out there? I'll buy ya a beer when I get there.

I grew up in El Paso Texas, which is pretty much New Mexico. First off where are you from? New Mexico may be a little bit of a culture shock for you, if you haven't been there before. I am going to be honest with you. If you aren't used to living with a bunch of Mexicans/Indians(of which I am mixed+other stuff) you may not care for it much. It really is a different mentality when it comes to things. Sante Fe is rich white person version of New Mexico. It's nice, but extremely commercial and expensive, especially since it's become a hot "Hollywood" 2nd home type place. Last time I was there, my family and I were actually treated poorly in some of the nicer restaurants, because of the how could Mexicans afford this, attitude that alot of the whites have there. Alamorgordo is a town dominated by Holloman Airbase, it's a smallish town, where everything seems 2nd hand because of the military personel who since they are always coming and going make it a transient type of town. It is cool in that it's right down the Freeway from White Sands. I used to go there alot since it's on the way to Ruidoso/Ski Apache. Alburquerque is cool, you have the Sandia Moutains, the Ballon Festival everyyear. It has a cool laid back vibe to it. An area downtown that is full of clubs/bars. Lots of community events, of course they are dominated by Indian Culture, so if you are into that it's cool. Price wise it's gonna be alot cheaper than any big city. The food is great, again if your into the NewMex Green Chili stuff(Not to be confused with Mexican Food). Like I said if the culture of Mexican/Indians is o.k. with you, it'll be fine. Do not confuse this area with Phoenix or Arizona, New Mexico definately has it's own thing going on, and culture wise is probably much more in tune with Northern Mexico. Weather wise, expect summers in the 80-90's and winters in the 10-50's and snow(Especially Sante Fe/Alburquerque). I personally love it there, but I also grew up in the area/culture.

Here are some pice of the Balloon Festival I took in 04.

A view of the valley from the Sandia Moutains. My brother who is a Park Ranger and lives there, told me a cool story. In you look at this pic to the right are the flat top hills. It is from these hills that the Indians 1st saw the Conquistadors come into the area, and everthing changed for them.
    Last edited by VinceV; 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM.
    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

I came from crowded So Cal and moved to Cinci. No culture shock here. I don't miss the crowded freeways, and crowds in general, or the cost of living. My dad lives in Hesperia, CA (high desert away from crowds), but I can't get into the desert thing. I like the rain, green hills and fall colors.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
        I came from crowded So Cal and moved to Cinci. No culture shock here. I don't miss the crowded freeways, and crowds in general, or the cost of living. My dad lives in Hesperia, CA (high desert away from crowds), but I can't get into the desert thing. I like the rain, green hills and fall colors.

I once went to a Piggly Wiggly, now that was culture shock.
        Last edited by VinceV; 04-18-2006, 02:53 PM.
        Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Hey Vince,

Thanks for the info and the pics! From what we've been looking into, Alburquerque seems like the place we're probably going to go. I dig the whole American Indian culture thing, and have no problems with Mexican/Indian people or any mixture thereof.
          I'm actually looking forward to the culture shock. I'm tired of crowded areas, pollution, and angry people about to pop in my area of the Eastern seaboard. I need a change of scenery in a big way.
          The other thing I've noticed is that it's much cheaper to live out there. here, we paid $120,000 for a 2 bedroom condo a few years ago, and our neighbor just sold hers for $220,000. From the real estate folks we're been talking to, we can BUILD a 3 bedroom HOUSE in Alburquerque for about $180,000. That's reason enough for me right there!
          I'm assuming there's subdivisions of Alburquerque?

Comment

And Jabez just came through with an Alburquerque link for me!

Now I just need to learn how to spell it correctly...

Comment

I have lived in Albuquerque my whole life. If you have any questions let me know.

Oh, and get used to all food being sold with Green Chile.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV

I once went to a Piggly Wiggly, now that was culture shock.

Relax, man. You implied culture shock first, with the "I'm going to be honest" vibe. If you don't think you were off-topic with that, then why is he? Because he went from West to East, instead of East to West? It DOES go both ways, you know.

Other than that, I think you gave Subvamp and anyone else who was interested a great basic outline of the places to be in the state. Kudos for that!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yo, Bro...don't move ANYWHERE until you come up to Syracuse one more time and rock the Half Penny with Crankdaddy!

(Please?)

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
                    Relax, man. You implied culture shock first, with the "I'm going to be honest" vibe. If you don't think you were off-topic with that, then why is he? Because he went from West to East, instead of East to West? It DOES go both ways, you know.

Other than that, I think you gave Subvamp and anyone else who was interested a great basic outline of the places to be in the state. Kudos for that!

It was kinda meant in jest, hence the Piggly Wiggly comment at the end. But to be fair. Guess i forgot the

Comment

I've lived in New Mexico my entire life (33 years) and have lived in Albuquerque for the last 15 years. Northern New Mexico (where I grew up) is mountainous and gets the good snowfall. If rural living is for you, I'd say go there. Of course the reason I left is that there are no good jobs unless you work for the county, etc. I moved to ABQ to go to school (UNM) and get me engineering degree.

Albuquerque is the largest city. Santa Fe is the capital, and yes it is way expensive to live in. Anything down south (Las Cruces, Hobbs, Alamagordo, Roswell, Carlsbad, etc.), will be HOT and dry. I would not recommend these places unless you're into that. ABQ is a nice compromise, because we have mild winters and unharsh summers. I say unharsh, others might say mild. I'm sorry, 90+ degrees in the summer it too much for me. We only hit 100+ once or twice in the summer and not very often. I say winters are mild, because I am used to northern New Mexico winters (lows of -20 and highs of +35). Winters in ABQ are about lows of 15 highs of 45, and these are the bad days. Usually it's about lows of 25 and highs of 55).

Like KV_X said, be prepared to answer the question, "Red or Green?" a lot.

As far as suburbs go, Rio Rancho is the biggest and IMO the best. They are a very forward looking city. Others include Corrales, and Bernalillo (technically not a suburb, but eh?).

I have a friend who is a realtor, so when you come down, if you'd like I can give you his contact info.

PM me if you need more info. on New Mexico or ABQ or jobs here, etc.

Comment

My girlfriend lived in ABQ for about 6 years.
                        She loved it, and always talks about it still. Her father lives in Moriarity (about 10 miles outside ABQ) It's a little desert ranch town, but quiet and nice from the way he describes it. I still have a lot of meals made with green and red chile...LOL! I prefer red!...HAHAHA!!

Comment

Oh Man nothing beats Green Chili Chicken Enchilada with an egg on top, or Chile Colorado. Dam how I miss the food down there. I live in Dam L.A. home of god knows how many Mexicans and all the Mexican food here sucks. Wish I had paid attention to my Dad when he cooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Subvamp
                            So can any fellow JCF Bros in New Mexcio give me some tips on what areas are cool out there?
                            You'll find hot there, not cool.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X