So, I saw David Gilmour last night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I saw David Gilmour last night...

Last night, got to check the ol' boy out. Had 10th row tickets at the Oakland Paramount theater. If you ever get a chance to see a show here. Do it. It's got about 3000 seats and it is this joint that was build back in the late 20's and opened up in the 30's. The place has been completely restored and has retained that feeling.

It was a damn good show. Dave, of course, was using a couple of Hiwatt heads and his usual array of guitar subjects. They started off with Breath, Time. At the end of Time, David told everyone to have a seat and enjoy the new album where he played On a Island from start to finish. Then took a 15 minute break and came back with the full version of Echos, dominoes, high hopes, and a few other songs that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Not much to say about his playing besides it was exactly what I expected. Nothing short of Gilmour. His voice was great and his playing was just killer. The guy is looking much better too. For a while there, he was looking like he was sponsered by Burger King. It was really great to see him. Haven't seen him since 86/87 during the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour and that was a packed arena. So, this was a nice change.

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

oh, I can't wait to hear the new album!!
    my father has got it already, but so far I didn't get it managed to have a listen...

what do you think about the Pink Floyd reunion-rumours?
    I read in a guitar-mag that waters and gilmour are getting along pretty well, and AFAIK a lot of tracks on "on an island" were written for pink floyd.
    does make sense to me to unload your mind before reentering a band...

anyway, I still hope to see'em life one day.
    I just love gilmours playing. plain awersome musician.
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

What axes (and what pickups) was he using?

Comment

Would have gone to the gig here but it was prohibitably expensive.

Comment

I'll believe PF reunion rumors when I'm at the gig and the four of them actually walk out onstage together.

Comment

I saw Floyd years ago at Giants Stadium. Awesome show. Although not a huge Pink Floyd fan, I really dig DG's playing and tone, so it was great to see them.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion
              I'll believe PF reunion rumors when I'm at the gig and the four of them actually walk out onstage together.
              they already played a song together on.. what was that fest called?
              somewhere in london if I remember correctly...

Comment

Live 8 (Live Aid revival)

I doubt there'll be a reunion. Gilmour turned down $250 million, which Waters offered him up front if the was to tour with PF again.

New album is insanely good, tastiest playing I've heard since....well, the last Gilmour project.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

live 8!! that was it! always forget about the name...

well, I doubt money is an issue for gilmour. he's not one of these MTV-bling-bling-rappers...
                  I guess if he's still wearing his old comfy jeans he bought years ago, he will get along more than well with what he's got. more depends on his mood I think rather than on the offer.

I often think about bands, well their time is over, they should have stopped years ago, but with Pink Floyd it was different for me. and that I won't get a chance to see them life really bugs me.
                  my dad saw'em about ten years ago, but he was afraid to take me there since I still was very young, and not into PF at all at this point.
                  actually I grew up with them, but I always was somehow afraid of their music. started to apreciate them 20years later...

I still hope they will change their mind.

Comment

From what I understood, Gilmour and Waters cannot work together. They cannot stand each other. Personally, I cannot stand Waters and his whole hurt artist attitude of his. He is definately a amazing writer. But, they have evolved into a different great band since then. That was then, this is now. I will quote a good friend of mine "Waters made Pink Floyd interesting, Gilmour made it listenable"

The guitars he used was his white, red and black strat. He had a Gibson Goldtop and this unknown black les-paulish looking thing that he also used on the meltdown tour. Along with that, he also played a couple of Lap guitars, a 12 string banjo and a Sax(yeah a sax). I guess he picked up sax playing when his son started playing so that he could help him out.

Would have gone to the gig here but it was prohibitably expensive.
                    Yeah... it was expensive. I opted to buy the hot seat tickets and they were not cheap at all. But, how often are you going to be able to see the guy and how often are you going to be able to see the guy with only 3000 other people and in such a small venue? It was 100% worth it.

-Nate
                    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by nateb
                      From what I understood, Gilmour and Waters cannot work together. They cannot stand each other. Personally, I cannot stand Waters and his whole hurt artist attitude of his. He is definately a amazing writer. But, they have evolved into a different great band since then. That was then, this is now. I will quote a good friend of mine "Waters made Pink Floyd interesting, Gilmour made it listenable"
                      That's about right, I'd say.

My impression of the Gilmour/Waters thing nowadays is that they aren't on such bad terms anymore, but that neither has much interest in rolling the Pink Floyd monster out of the garage for another go. Gilmour could put out a PF album/tour anytime he wants, with or without Waters, and hasn't chosen to do so in 12 years, which should tell you something. A few years ago, Gilmour was saying that he'd basically retired from music and wasn't inspired to write new music anymore. Obviously that changed, but I can understand why he'd want to do something under his own name, since he's not restricted to the Pink Floyd idiom and can just go whereever the music takes him--plus this way he doesn't have to preside over a touring production roughly the same size as the Third Infantry Division.

Comment

David Gilmour is not hurting for money. He has more cash than any 10 flash in the pan rap stars. Pink Floyd has two of the highest selling albums of all time(Dark Side and The Wall). He recently gave $108M to a London charity that houses the homeless. One Hundred and Eight Million Dollars. That's a lot of "icy grills".

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
                          Gilmour turned down $250 million, which Waters offered him up front if the was to tour with PF again.
                          he only turned that down because he knew with his insanely high ticket prices for this solo tour he'd make that amount in a few months anyway. :ROTF:
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                            David Gilmour is not hurting for money. He has more cash than any 10 flash in the pan rap stars. Pink Floyd has two of the highest selling albums of all time(Dark Side and The Wall). He recently gave $108M to a London charity that houses the homeless. One Hundred and Eight Million Dollars. That's a lot of "icy grills".
                            Hey Dave, send some of that dosh my way. I need to upgrade my studio. And I managed to sit through the entire Pulse album at least once...

Comment

Working...
                            X