Any Rolex watch experts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Rolex watch experts out there?

Since we have experts on almost every other subject LOL!

We moved, and in going through all of the junk in the basement, we found a watch just like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

My wife got it from her grandma, who got it from grandpa I assume. Not as nice shape, and no box or paperwork, but it's that "model" as far as looks and features. It's not working at the moment either.

It has been in the basement/family since 1992, so I'm hoping it is before all of those "forgeries" came out. I did some google searches, but could not find anything on how to spot a real Rolex from a fake, or info on models, etc (couldn't find the rolexforum.com LOL!).

If anyone knows anything about this watch, or can hook me up with a place to find info, please help.

Thanks,

Don

P.S. if anyone needs to see actual pictures of the one we found, please let me know.

edit: picture added:
    Last edited by DonP; 06-20-2006, 10:03 AM.

Post a picture of it if you can. I'd take it in to get checked our to verify if tis authentic and if so, have it repaird and use it. Cool watch..
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Get it running and watch (no pun intended) the movement.
      A real Rolex second hand will sweep, fake ones tick.
      That being said, Seiko now makes a sweeping movement that used in modern fakes.
      Also, a real Rolex will stop running after 3 or 4 days if left alone.
      Wrist movement from being worn actuly keeps the watch wound up.
      Again, modern fakes have this ability now, but since you say that it's been there since 92, these tests will tell you if it's real or not.
      Info courtesy of Johnstone Jewelers - St. Louis, MO. (My great uncle Pete owns the place.)

Edit: Any authorized Rolex dealer will be glad to verify it for you.
      That is the ONLY true way to tell for a fact if it's real or not.
      And FYI.. take it to couple if you can... some jewelers (very few really) are assholes and will tell you it's a fake just to get their hands on it.
      Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-07-2006, 11:40 AM.
      -Rick

Comment

You found a solid 18k President in the basement??

You could go on quite a guitar buying spree with the proceeds from that bad boy, trust me.

OK, go to www.timezone.com

There is a Rolex specific forum on that site, which is probably your best bet for finding out about the watch.

Yes, there have been Rolex fakes for decades. However, that doesn't mean your is fake.

Is it heavy? A solid 18k Rolex with matching bracelet should be a weighty mother. Also, look around the case and bracelet for proof marks, they should be little stamps that say 18k and have a shield, or design. Sometimes they are on the back of the case, sometimes inside the lugs of the case..look on the inside of the clasp.

Yes, post up some pictures as well. I am not a Rolex "expert" but I am pretty knowledgeable about watches, as I have collected them for 20 years.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
          Get it running and watch (no pun intended) the movement.
          A real Rolex second hand will sweep, fake ones tick.
          That being said, Seiko now makes a sweeping movement that used in modern fakes.
          Also, a real Rolex will stop running after 3 or 4 days if left alone.
          Wrist movement from being worn actuly keeps the watch wound up.
          Again, modern fakes have this ability now, but since you say that it's been there since 92, these tests will tell you if it's real or not.
          Info courtesy of Johnstone Jewelers - St. Louis, MO. (My great uncle Pete owns the place.)

Dude, any mechanical watch will "sweep". So funny. Rolex watches, at least modern ones, operate at 28,800 alterations per hour..as do most modern mechanical movements. This rate is responsible for the smooth sweep of the second hand. Rolex has also made quartz watches, that "tick", these are the OysterQuartz models.

But yes, it is a good indicator. Is the second hand sweeping....is it very smooth, almost like an electric movement with very little discernable stops?

Unscrew the crown and gently wind the watch to get it up to full power reserve. The watch is automatic, but you can still wind it. When worn, the rotor will take care of the rest of the winding. It should run, around 40 hours, if fully wound and taken off.

Mike

Comment

There are a few watch guys here on the JCF. I personally am not a Rolex expert. Sens me some pics, I might be able to help. There have been fakes out there of the "President" Rolex forever, Several people I knew had them in the mid 80's, so who knows there. Your best bet is to take it to a local watch/jeweler and have them open up the caseback. If the movement is Rolex then odds are its a Rolex, back then they would have probably just put a quartz movement in a fake. Try this 1st does it wind? When you wind it is there a clicking noise? To wind it unscrew the crown(winder) click it out 1 notch if you turn it and the hands move you clicked it out too far, if it clicks or if there is a racheting sound then its an automatic movement inside, increasing the odd of it being real. If nothing happens or there is no resistence probably a quartz movement/fake. If you do get it to wind the second hand should have a nice smooth rotating appearance around the dial if it clicks from second to second its a fake(quartz/battery movement). Now on to the price, if its real depending on condition maybe and others may be able to price it better, but with no box/papers 4-5K. Send me some pics It may be easy to tell quickly if its real or not.
            Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Dam did it take me that long to writew a response? No one had posted when I started my reply.

Lots of good advice here. Post some pics for our curiosity, but best bet take it to your local watch store/Rolex dealer or any place that sells nice watches have them open up the case in front of you. It actually just unsrews off, but you need a tool to do it. If ther movement is an automatic movement with Rolex markings on it, then good bet its real.
              Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

has to be solid 18K gold, triple signed Rolex band, dial, movement & screw the back off, automatic jeweled movement NOT a quartz cheap battery one. Remember solid 18K not electroplate...........

Comment

There is absolutely no way, even for an expert Rolex watch repairer, to tell a good fake from a real one just looking at a picture of it.

Rather than taking gambles on a potentially very valuable watch and risking further damage by winding it (a damaged automatic movement can become unrepairable if forced winding), or taking it to a generic watch repairer, go to an authorized Rolex center, every major city has one.

They will assess if it's real, fix it, give you a reliable warranty for it, appraise it and, if that is what you want, probably even offer you to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak
                    There is absolutely no way, even for an expert Rolex watch repairer, to tell a good fake from a real one just looking at a picture of it.

Rather than taking gambles on a potentially very valuable watch and risking further damage by winding it (a damaged automatic movement can become unrepairable if forced winding), or taking it to a generic watch repairer, go to an authorized Rolex center, every major city has one.

They will assess if it's real, fix it, give you a reliable warranty for it, appraise it and, if that is what you want, probably even offer you to buy it.

You assume this is a top quality fake. Some of us who have a Rolex or have handled a few, may be able to tell very easily if it is a fake or not. If it isn't working, and it's an automatic movement then its already broken. Have you tried shaking the watch. Put it on and shake your wrsit side to side, this should start it up(automatic movement) you should also be able to hear a sound of something (the rotor) spinning inside. If you hear that rotor sound another good sign that it is real.

Post up a few pics , Face of watch/braclelet/caseback/inside of clasp of band.

Comment

OK.. first off, DO NOT TAKE THE BACK OR FRONT BEZEL OFF!!
                      Have a pro do it.
                      The fastest way to screw up a great watch is to have a hack attempt to remove the back plate on a top rate watch.
                      There is a special tool required to remove the back plates properly.
                      18k gold is still plenty soft and will strip out very easy.
                      And Mike, yea.. I should have clarified "sweep", as in smooth motion.

My great uncle has been a jeweler longer than I've been alive and has been an authorized Rolex dealer for decades.
                      I have seen my fair share of real and fake Rolex watches.
                      I've even seen some fakes that were very impressive in detail.
                      I don't care for Rolex myself. I'm a TAG man personaly.
                      I own an original Heuer, not a Tag Heuer, that is worth more than a Rolex President. Mainly because it is a Rolex Submariner clone that Heuer got sued over... very limited quantities exist.
                      My dad gave it to me ages ago and it will definitely stay in the family.

Don, basicaly don't risk it. Take it to a pro and have them inspect it. If it's real... great. If not, it will still be cool to wear.
                      Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-07-2006, 12:07 PM.
                      -Rick

Comment

I've got a good fake that looks like that. It was built in SE Asia about 8 or so years ago (I received it as a gift from some good family friends who's other friends manufacture those in SE Asia).
                        It has a smoothly sweeping second hand, and has the automatic winding feature that works. It's actually a very good watch. But, the 'gold' is starting to show signs of wearing off on the edges.
                        A guy I used to ski with had a real one, and it was pretty hard to tell them apart, - I think the back cover may be more fancy on a real one too.
                        Either way, you're going to want to take it to an expert and have it checked out.
                        What a fun find for you!, I hope it turns out to be genuine and worth a whole lot!

Comment

About the only thing I know abour Rolex watches is I cannot afford to wear one.

Matt

Comment

I've owned hundreds of watches...it is an addiction that I try to control....

I turned my dad into a watch junkie was well, he is worse than I am.

Ah, Rolexes are good workhorses..a decent mid-tier watch.

I have seen some fakes that would blow your mind.

I have an Anniversary Sub that my dad just brought back from China for me. I louped the dial, it is perfect. It has genuine green hologram...the bracelet is perfect and quadruple signed. The watch is a dead balls accurate copy of a sub. The only thing that gives it away is that it has an auto movement that is a 21,600er. So, the sweep is a tiny bit less smooth than a 28,800. 99% of people would NEVER spot it...even if you handed it to them. It has a Miyota movement, which is Japanese. However, the Chinese are already being contracted out by ETA to make movment parts. ETA is the largest maker of movements in Switzerland..you can find them in anything from a $150 Hamilton to a $25,000 Frank Muller......

It cost $30 in China....and it keeps Chronomter grade time. Roughly +2 seconds a day for me.

Mike

Comment

send me a picture, i will tell you in a matter of minutes-

[email protected]
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                              X