Help me with my Car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my Car!

My Check Engine came on. I was lucky enough to get a hold of a OBD Code Reader. These are the codes it throws out..

P0455

Evaporation Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak)

P0442

Evaporation Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

These are the two codes.

What the fuck does this mean and where would I look? And Can I drive my car still? I notice it acting kind of weird (struggles with accelerating a bit..) I have cleared the code it and it came back..

Car is Dodge Neon 2002 SE.

I'm guessing it's your A/C
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Its your exhaust (emissions system) could be anything. Did you just put gas in it recently? Sometimes if you put gas in it while its running you might get that message. Also try removing the gas cap and putting it back on. Otherwise if its a true problme its with your exhaust system more than likely.....

Comment

Are you detecting any kind of exhaust leak? Can you hear anything? To be honest, I don't know what part of the emissions system that code is referencing. However, if you are getting an exhaust leak upstream of an O2 sensor, it could cause you to run rich.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

You have a vacuum leak.
          I used to do this for a living many moons ago.
          Check all your vacuum lines and make sure the gas cap is on properly.
          The codes have nothing to do with the exhaust system or the O2 Sensor.
          If you have a small propane tourch around, start the car and turn on the propane torch... DO NOT LIGHT IT!. Just let the gas flow.
          Move the nozzle around all the vacuum lines and connections. When you hear the engine rev up a bit, you found your leak.

Here's a handy link to explain it to you, but it's not rocket science.
          http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h62.pdf
          Last edited by rjohnstone; 03-30-2006, 12:53 PM.
          -Rick

Comment

I feel like a douche bag.. my gas cap was not on tight..... but would that explain the crappy acceleration..? I will check the stuff you guys suggested!

Comment

There's usually a vacuum line running from your engine to a sensor located at top of engine compartment, you'll know this is the hose when the car is running & you remove it & engine dies instantly. check the hose for splits/cracks if at the tip then cut a inch or two & re-install or replace?????????? this leak will give you that code reading......

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja
                I feel like a douche bag.. my gas cap was not on tight..... but would that explain the crappy acceleration..? I will check the stuff you guys suggested!
                Sure would. The fuel pump pressurizes the fuel tank to feed the fuel through your gas line. If your cap is off it won't have the right amount of pressure.
                We must!
                We must!
                We must increase the bust!
                The bigger the better!
                The tighter the sweater!
                The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Fuel injected cars can be so picky sometimes, but yea... it can cause the car to run in a lean condition. This would make acceleration pretty lame.
                  Running with a loose or bad gas cap for long periods of time will destroy your O2 sensor as well.
                  The ECM will try and compensate for the lack of pressure and wreak havoc on the other systems.
                  Last edited by rjohnstone; 03-30-2006, 01:35 PM.
                  -Rick

Comment

After running the car with the gas cap in better, did the light reset itself?

Comment

Raise the hood, remove the radiator cap...insert new car... replace radiator cap and close the hood. Sorry I couldn't resist.... :p

Comment

Originally posted by wulfe13
                        Raise the hood, remove the radiator cap...insert new car... replace radiator cap and close the hood. Sorry I couldn't resist.... :p
                        before I do that, is there any sort of treatment to apply to the radiator cap? I'd hate to go to all that trouble only to find I installed the car incorrectly, and had to go get another one.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                        X