Anyone here sell cars? (or used to)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone here sell cars? (or used to)

no way in hell I'd work 12 hour days 6-7 days a week for 100k/yr in any job.

I just don't have the sales mentality as I'm too honest and would be cutting myself short for every sale, no dicking around, no fake going to the sales manager for a fake approve somethin [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] it would be...this the lowest I can go...take it or leave it...next [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I'm MCSE and A++ certified. Some hands on stuff, but not enough to land me over 30k

[/ QUOTE ]
      Having certs today means almost nothing.
      I don't mean that one shouldn't strive to get certified, the problem is, the market is flooded with certified newbs with 0 expierence who think they are going to make 70k a year from the get go.
      I've been doing this for the better part of 11 years (only one, long since expired, cert) and I finaly broke the mid 80k range on salary.
      I work my ass off and don't have time to sit in a classroom.
      That being said, in the early years I did everything from guitar sales to being a bouncer to help make ends meet while pursuing my IT career.
      Be patient and don't be a job snob.
      Take whatever IT job you can get to start that all important experience meter running.
      -Rick

Comment

here's a great article about the auto sales industry:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

it's long, but it's a good read.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Having certs today means almost nothing.
          I don't mean that one shouldn't strive to get certified, the problem is, the market is flooded with certified newbs with 0 expierence who think they are going to make 70k a year from the get go.
          I've been doing this for the better part of 11 years (only one, long since expired, cert) and I finaly broke the mid 80k range on salary.
          I work my ass off and don't have time to sit in a classroom.
          That being said, in the early years I did everything from guitar sales to being a bouncer to help make ends meet while pursuing my IT career.
          Be patient and don't be a job snob.
          Take whatever IT job you can get to start that all important experience meter running.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 I hit 100k last year and its all due to working your ass of to get that knowledge/experience that people are looking for. The market is flooded but it wont stay that way because the technology is starting to change pretty drastically, but a good core understanding is needed so the noobs will fall away soon be patient and stick with it is my advice. Seek a job with a integration or consulting company...thats where to be. My buddy has been selling cars for years....he's a stress freak man....plus he had to deal with the general public and kiss their ass to make a living

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it. It's a great read. I thought someone else posted that here a while back.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

There's a car lot around here. They ONLY do used cars, or brand new used or whatever you call it. Their lot is ALWAYS flooded. They don't really even need to advertise, people come from all over the state to buy there. I heard there are sales guys that make either 3000 a week or every two weeks clear. That's a lot of fucking money.

Comment

OK, first thanks for the great read bro!! 2nd, my brain is fried, but worth every minute of reading that. I feel much more confident for the next time I go car buying [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT was so worth reading...I bought a new car in November and it sucked...I recently traded it back for a different make/model...

I have met EVERYONE listed in that article, lol...

I wish I had read this earlier.

Great article!

Comment

Thanks, that is a great article. I don't think I want to sell cars anymore -lol. What about being a broker? Is there any way to get your foot in the door without a finance degree? I've heard of people getting in a junior/intern/training position and having like 6 months to get your series 7 and 63 certs.
                    As far as IT, I did get my MCSE to get my foot in the door, I was a paper MCSE (was working at a grocery store). But now I've got 5 years experience and an Associate degree in IT and still can't get a networking position. I'm tired of working with idiot end-users that can't remember their passwords, I want to be on the back-end messing with the servers and routers. Arrgh! Maybe it's time to "spice up" the resume and instead of my helpdesk/desktop support experience, I'll list a bunch of networking-related stuff. Hell I'll throw CCNA on there too. I know enough subnetting and CLI commands to get through an interview.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986
                      Thanks, that is a great article. I don't think I want to sell cars anymore -lol. What about being a broker? Is there any way to get your foot in the door without a finance degree? I've heard of people getting in a junior/intern/training position and having like 6 months to get your series 7 and 63 certs.
                      As far as IT, I did get my MCSE to get my foot in the door, I was a paper MCSE (was working at a grocery store). But now I've got 5 years experience and an Associate degree in IT and still can't get a networking position. I'm tired of working with idiot end-users that can't remember their passwords, I want to be on the back-end messing with the servers and routers. Arrgh! Maybe it's time to "spice up" the resume and instead of my helpdesk/desktop support experience, I'll list a bunch of networking-related stuff. Hell I'll throw CCNA on there too. I know enough subnetting and CLI commands to get through an interview.
                      Don't throw CCNA on your resume unless you actualy have it... networking guys are real picky about that and will sniff (no pun intended) you out in less than 5 questions.
                      As far as being a broker, anybody can do it... you just have to go through the training and certification here does count.
                      Shoot for your series 8 as well if you decide to go that route... that's where the real money is.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm
                        You beat me to it. It's a great read. I thought someone else posted that here a while back.
                        Me. GMTA
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986
                          I'm thinking about a career change. I've been in IT for over 5 years now and it's gotten stagnant. Even with my experience, Microsoft certification (MSCE), and some hands-on with Cisco routers, I can't get more than a desktop support/helpdesk position and haven't cracked 50K/yr. In fact, this position I got since moving to Atlanta has put me back to $40K.
                          I'm thinking about selling cars and wanted to hear from anyone that sells them or has sold them in the past. I have never done sales and am not a "true" salesman, i.e. being able to sell ice to an eskimo. I would only be able to sell things that I am interested in and would be excited about selling. Which would be cars, guitars, and motorcycles. Since I am looking to make 60-80K/year this probably eliminates guitars and motorcycles. So just chime in with what you have about car sales - tips, pros/cons, can you make what I'm looking to make?, etc.
                          I haven't read the other posts in this thread, but yours grabbed my attention. I did exactly the opposite of what you're about to do. I went from car sales to IT and never looked back.

Brace yourself, opinion is imminent:

OUCH! Let me tell you, I sold Nissans for about six years and hated almost every minute of it. This was for several reasons. I hated not knowing what my paycheck would be each month. I hated getting jerked around by idiots...ahem...."customers." I hated the asshole who owned the dealership (I worked at two different dealerships, both of which were owned by spoiled redneck pricks).

Let me tell you guys something, though. 97.4719% of car salesmen are actually very decent human beings. They just want to earn a living like anyone else. Most of them will also not screw you over or lie to you, either. I'll tell you right now that salemen don't lie nearly as much as customers do. Most people seem to think that driving onto a car lot gives them an automatic license to lie, cheat, and steal with impunity.

Only my opinion, but maybe you should test the waters first. See if a dealership will hire you part-time so you can see if you like it. Personally, I didn't.
                          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by sully

sully
                            Wow, that was an enlightening read. The other day I was filling up my truck at a gas station right beside a big new car dealer. I saw an old friend who sells cars there walking across the lot and was tempted to hollar and ask him how the "ups" were going that day, but decided to hold back.

Comment

Working...
                            X