New VOIVOD track!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VOIVOD track!

A brand new VOIVOD song, entitled "The X-Stream", has been made available for streaming at MP3.com http://www.mp3.com/media_player/504/...hp&rgroup=8163 The track comes off the Canadian pioneering metal band's upcoming album, "Katorz", due in June on The End Records in North America and Nuclear Blast Records in Europe.

VOIVOD recorded and mixed the album with producer Glen Robinson (ANNIHILATOR, TEA PARTY, GWAR) at Multisons studio in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and mastered the CD in New York.

The follow-up to 2003's "Voivod", "Katorz" is the first album in the band's 20-plus-year career that did not feature founding guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour working alongside his bandmembers in the studio. D'Amour died August 26, 2005 in a Montreal hospital from complications of advanced colon cancer.

In order to record "Katorz", drummer Michael "Away" Langevin, singer Denis "Snake" Belanger and bassist Jason "Jasonic" Newsted utilized all of the guitar parts that Piggy had recorded for the record on his laptop with ProTools before his death.

In a recent interview with Greg Prato of Billboard.com, Langevin had the following to say about the upcoming CD: "It came about in unfortunate circumstances, but the result is mind-blowing. Right before his departure, Denis explained to me that he had recorded all the tracks that we had been working on with Jason and Snake for the past two years. He had recorded that on his laptop with ProTools, and even though he would have preferred to re-do the whole thing in a real studio, there was a chance that we could use the tracks. We built the album based on the guitar tracks, which was difficult, because normally, we go the other way around - we start with the drums, and then add stuff on top. But it sounds amazing."

"'Katorz' means 14 - it's the 14th effort of the band," Belanger added. "The first time Piggy put it together and gave us the demo was on CD, [and he had written] 'Katorz', which is not the right way to write it. Of course [there is] an emotional side to it, so we took the demo, and the design of it will be his handwriting."

----

Wicked tune. Reminds me a bit of Snake's union Made project and The Outer Limits meets the self titled album. Piggy rules. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Re: New VOIVOD track!

Excellent! I was just thinking about when this might come out. I love old Voivod. I hope this album lives up to their former glory!

Comment

This particular track has a lot more rock'n'roll in it compared to anything I've heard so far of Voivod? I was never that much into Voivod, but I do like this. =)

Comment

I just got the sound to work so I can hear it. It still sounds like Voivod, but more basic. Possibly Jason's influence. I am not sure how they wrote before and perhaps since this was "written" after Piggy died the song structure was limited to what he had recorded. I would like to hear the whole album.

Comment

Working...
        X