Anyone ever have this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever have this problem?

One night your tone is perfect, the next it's total shit!

Without changing a single setting on anything it just goes to shit, but come back the next day or so and it sounds ok again...

Maybe it has to do with mood. I don't know but this is terrible!
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Re: Anyone ever have this problem?

Not my tone but my playing is like that sometimes

Comment

i am sure our hearing ranges change from time to time giving us drastic tonal changes with the same gear and settings!I get that some times but just soldier on with it as theres nothing i can do and the band members say i sound the same..lol.but your right the next day it could be back to normal.

Comment

I get that as well (and the playing thing too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) - I'd say it's definitely something in the circuits more than your ears, but that's just me.

Best way to tell if it's your ears or your gear - record it when it sounds like crap, then when it clears up, record it again - same passages, same gear, same settings.
        Compare the playback of both clips and you'll find out real quick if it's you or the gear.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I had the same problem a few days ago.. I had an awesome tone and the next day it sounded like crap.. really strange.
          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Yes, happens all the time

Comment

I deal with this every day! But lately Ive been happier with my sound. Bear in mind that if you are playing a lot of shows, a lot of the variance has to do with the different rooms...a lot of times I have the amp dialed in nice and big sounding in the practice space, but when it gets inside the bigger room of the venue it thins it out some.

Comment

I think what happened is this. I've been playing through my computer with a Guitar Port all week and just got used to that sound, then when I went out to play through the PA it was a bit different than the Guitar Port and it was throwing me off.

Or I could have been just too drunk to know any better. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  One night your tone is perfect, the next it's total shit!

Without changing a single setting on anything it just goes to shit, but come back the next day or so and it sounds ok again...

Maybe it has to do with mood. I don't know but this is terrible!

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!! I just finished playing, had to stop because it sounded like shit... I was actually about to post the SAME DAMN QUESTION!

I definatley dont know whats up with it. I think it has to be our ears, considering Ive been using my TonePort and havent changed a damn thing. This happens to me quite alot, still cant figure out exactly why.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

YES YES YES...all the time

and I'll tell you.."why"..

It is excatly like when you are cruisin' in your car with the radio CRANKED and it sounds fuggin' AWESOME..

you park, do some shoppin' or whatever for a few hours..maybe go to work.

You get back in the car and and turn on the tunes at the same level you just banged your head to but now it's incoherant noise....sounds like shit!!!

Ear fatigue..or it's your mood, and or your perception at that time...nothing else changed right...just your state of mind.

then you start tweaking and tweaking and now it sounds even worse...why...because you already tweaked THAT amp to your liking at THAT volume level..

best things to do is just turn down the volume ..when I do that, all I touch is the presence or treble for more "bite"....then ease it back to their original setting as you warm up and gradually turn up the amp..."your" tone will be there again. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If NOT, just walk away...because whatever you do won't please you...I know this! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This is why I love my Marshall rack SO much...I NEVER have this problem with my rack..it is ONLY heads that give me this grief..with a rack..I have programs that I "set and forget" and scroll thru them till one is to my liking..it's always consistant..

we don't have that lunxury with heads...that's the nature of the beast..

that has been my observation with this very same problem!

Ear Fatigue! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

sometimes it simple as having as "off day" in your playing ..That happens to all of us..

Stay cool..your amp prolly is just fine..just as mine was..but it's our perception that gets all messed up at times..!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I think what happened is this. I've been playing through my computer with a Guitar Port all week and just got used to that sound, then when I went out to play through the PA it was a bit different than the Guitar Port and it was throwing me off.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Yes, that's most likely what the problem was, being used to the sound through your computer speakers, and then going through the PA.

Also, the sound will sometimes change with tube amps, but it shouldn't change if you're playing through something that's SS.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't believe it's the equipment ..it's just your perception at that time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Could be that partially, too, but tubes do seem to change in tone a little as they burn in more.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

that is true..but I always found it more ofeten than not..it's the ears and not the tubes..or whatever.

Not one one day to the next..anywhoo.

Comment

its mostly the ears

Comment

Working...
                              X