Texas blues band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas blues band

I really want to get into a blues band. You know.. 1 guitar, Hammond keyboard player, drummer, bass player.
    Damn... I love playing Texas blues.
    I want to call it: The Texas Blues Quartet
    Who wants in????

Re: Texas blues band

you forgot the harmonica player
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'll take the bass, John. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

SO.. to expand on this... have any of you successfully made the transition from metal to Texas blues ala SRV??
        I am seriously considering it.
        I want to be in a Texas blues band so bad I could taste it.
        Please help. I am currently in 2 metal bands and I think I'm flippin out.

Comment

Who says it needs to be one or the other? Do both. I do.

Just remember that in blues solos less is often better than more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Who says it needs to be one or the other? Do both. I do.

Just remember that in blues solos less is often better than more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What amps and guitars do you use? I am going to use my Fender strats and Vetta for the blues thing and my Ibanez guitars and Soldano for the metal stuff.
            I think I am gonna try some open mic blues jams first and see how it goes. What do you guys bring to an open mic blues jam? I could bring a strat and my GT-6 or a tube screamer or something. Do you bring an amp?

Comment

you'll get a lot of work thats for sure. I get bored with it after a while
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

hang in there JG. That's quite a transition to make. A lot of metal players I've seen don't have the chops or feel for it.I'm sure you would be great tho.
                You gotta do what makes you happy in life and music!

I haven't made the transition but I play in a trio and we write our own stuff. You never know what style our ideas will eventually evolve into. We are basically rock oriented but we also have some jazz,jazzfusion,alternative,blues,latin and even dare I say country sounding originals.It keeps the music much more interesting by being diverse.
                Good Luck and by the way I love the blues from old style Delta and Missisipi to BB King SRV etc.I hear blues roots in almost all forms music. I believe it was the blues and gospel that was the foundation of rock.

Comment

OH, I am sure it can be done. Many people made the transition. I have always played in that kind of style, but with a more distorted tone. I could never get SRV's tone to work for me, so I cranked up the distortion!!! When I first heard Gary Moore play blues I was floored, because that was basically what I wanted to do.

I know a very well known and famous blues guitarist. When I first met him in college, he was wearing a yellow Gucci jumpsuit and playing New Wave rock. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

What amps and guitars do you use? I am going to use my Fender strats and Vetta for the blues thing and my Ibanez guitars and Soldano for the metal stuff.
                    I think I am gonna try some open mic blues jams first and see how it goes. What do you guys bring to an open mic blues jam? I could bring a strat and my GT-6 or a tube screamer or something. Do you bring an amp?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play either my '57 Strat or my Model 3 for blues. Either straight into my Univox amp (20W), with a Tube Screamer for leads, or I use my Fender Eighty-Five (85W) with a Blues Driver for leads for larger venues.

If I were auditioning I would bring my guitar and my Univox or my Digitech RP300 modeler.

Comment

There are some awesome local blues players here in the Dallas Ft Worth area.Alot of different styles.Anyone attempting to sound like SRV is immediately cornhoed and razzed tho.Sometimes ive walked into a little hole in the wall club and have been amazed.Thats always refreshing.Ive got a usa strat with texas specials.I can thank SRV for that inluence purchase...
                      "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        There are some awesome local blues players here in the Dallas Ft Worth area.Alot of different styles.Anyone attempting to sound like SRV is immediately cornhoed and razzed tho.Sometimes ive walked into a little hole in the wall club and have been amazed.Thats always refreshing.Ive got a usa strat with texas specials.I can thank SRV for that inluence purchase...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that happens in Texas with SRV. My friend, when he started out, played a strat and wore a hat. He had an SRV type of vibe. Then, he toured Texas. He came back hatless and stratless...and made some changes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that happens in Texas with SRV. My friend, when he started out, played a strat and wore a hat. He had an SRV type of vibe. Then, he toured Texas. He came back hatless and stratless...and made some changes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

In Connecticut I could get away with traditional Texas Blues no sweat. The ultimate for me would be a 4 pc band.
                          drums, keys, guitar, bass.
                          I am certainly going to do some open blues jams. I should get picked up by a band because I can actually play believe it or not.

Comment

would I get killed if I would play like Billy Gibbons? he is the first legendary white boogie man from Texas so it would be a sin right?
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              would I get killed if I would play like Billy Gibbons? he is the first legendary white boogie man from Texas so it would be a sin right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think as many people cop Billy's style as cop SRV's. I don't know who came first in terms of Texas White Boy Boogie...Billy or Johnny Winter. Either way, their styles are not as much of a cliche' as SRV's. I actually walked out of a Kenny Wayne Shepard show at the House of Blues in 2000, because although he had the chops...he was such a thief that it sickened me. Paid good money for that show, too.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X