Hey car guys, question on tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey car guys, question on tires.

Yokohamas really are the best bang for the buck overall, in any style. my wife has the touring models on our Saab, and I have the low profile AV100's on my BMW. you get a lot of tire for the money.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      If you're cheap, Hankooks get good reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Hankooks are extremely good tires. A lot of bang for the buck in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to built semi trailers,and we used Hankook tires on a lot of Flexi-van container chassis.They come from India,and we had to wait for them to bug bomb the trailers full of tires because most of them had water in them.Most of the water had mosquito larve in them,and being unsure of whether or not they were there from the factory,the union had the company do this for our safety...
      Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

I have Pirelli tires on my Nissan and have no complaints. "Pirelli, power is nothing without control" (:
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still between the two brands, so I think I'll flip for it. The Yokos are a few bucks cheaper than the BFG's, but not by much. I don't want to get into the price of a Michelin Energy tire (they are about 50+ more per tire at least).

The Yoks, and the BFG's are all rated the same, 440, AA, A.

Like I said, I do plan on buying them local, I was just using tirerack as a reference to the pictures, and reviews.

Thank you again.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I'll sell you my old ones from my Mustang... Only slight usage...

[/ QUOTE ]

My Mustang was very similar. 1990 5.0 LX 5 spd. I used an old set of Cooper Cobras at the track. They were totally bald. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Another tire in your price range you are completely missing is Kumho. Both the ASX and the Solus kh-16 are great tires. I've carried their products for a few years and they (along with Michelin) have been virtually trouble free. We just went round and round on 3 sets of Yokohama tires that were putting out 30+ lbs of road force and wouldn't even force match 2 lbs outta them. I would also avoid the Traction T/A like the plague. They are in a redesign on the Traction T/A hr because of too low shoulder tread and thus the tires look very worn 20k miles in. That and they are noisier than alot of the LT tires I sell. It's a shame that Michelin/BFG cancelled so many other tire lineups for that piece of crap. I cringe every time I put a set on......

BTW, alot of dealers won't install Tire Rack tires and in many cases after you figure shipping, then installation (alignment if needed) and any maintenance you would be responsible for paying for (since they would be YOUR tires and not a dealers), buying from a local dealer would be a great idea.

Also, I sold Bridgestone / Firestone for years and (see above) I would roll BFG Tractions any day before I would use one of their tires again. That company is famous for it's poor product support (Ford, anyone ?). In my time there I used Turanza LS-H, Turanza Revo, Dueler A/T Revo, Firestone Affinity LH30, Dueller HL and Dueler A/T's on various vehicles I owned. We tried to market ourselves as a less expensive and better quality Michelin. The ploy failed miserably in the real world. Although they make some decent stuff, none of it is at the top like they claim and much of it is smoke & mirror adverts of their "technology" (i.e. -the "dual layer tread" which sucked on my revo tires and performed horribly in the real world). That "technology" claim sold a hell of alot of tires, though.

Goodyear.....ugh.... I just put some Wrangler Silent Armor tires on my father in laws F250 last night. Took a total of 7 tires to get a set that didn't have a crazy amount of run-out......and this is their "showcase" A/T tire. BTW, the only reason I sold him these was because we got 'em cheap due to a design issue with the 265/75-16 lre Kelly Trex tires we would normally have in that price range. After all was said and done it rode smooth and relatively quiet for such an aggressive tire.....time will tell if these will be another Bridgestone Dueler, though. (god I hope not....)

Sorry for the long-windedness of the post but theres alot of things I deal with on a daily basis and some of the things from websites that customers come into my store with blow my mind sometimes. Most people it seems will believe some stuff they read on a website before they believe people who do it for a living.

I should probably delete this [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I forgot the point I was gonna make [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Sorry !

Comment

Good advice from this man! I'm not sure if I feel so strongly about Kumho's but we just started carrying them when I got out of the tire business. I can say they are a good tire for the money but I wouldn't compare them to Michelin. Also, Michelin does make one tire I would be very leary of recommending. Their new Hydroedge tires ride really harsh and are quite noisy. They serve their purpose of longevity and water traction well but there is a definite trade-off. Also, I would agree with the assessment of Bridgestone/Firestone tires with a few exceptions. Bridgestone/Firestone make EXCELLENT ultra-high performance/max performance tires (better than Michelin IMO) their So3's and the old Firehawk SZ50's were great tires. The Firestone Steeltex A/T in E load range were good tires as well.

Also, have you noticed how hard it is to find a set of four round goodyear wrangler RT/S tires? I've went through nearly a dozen tires before finding 4 that were sufficient (and they were still questionable).

Okay......enough about tires! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                Another tire in your price range you are completely missing is Kumho. Both the ASX and the Solus kh-16 are great tires. I've carried their products for a few years and they (along with Michelin) have been virtually trouble free. We just went round and round on 3 sets of Yokohama tires that were putting out 30+ lbs of road force and wouldn't even force match 2 lbs outta them. I would also avoid the Traction T/A like the plague. They are in a redesign on the Traction T/A hr because of too low shoulder tread and thus the tires look very worn 20k miles in. That and they are noisier than alot of the LT tires I sell. It's a shame that Michelin/BFG cancelled so many other tire lineups for that piece of crap. I cringe every time I put a set on......

BTW, alot of dealers won't install Tire Rack tires and in many cases after you figure shipping, then installation (alignment if needed) and any maintenance you would be responsible for paying for (since they would be YOUR tires and not a dealers), buying from a local dealer would be a great idea.

Also, I sold Bridgestone / Firestone for years and (see above) I would roll BFG Tractions any day before I would use one of their tires again. That company is famous for it's poor product support (Ford, anyone ?). In my time there I used Turanza LS-H, Turanza Revo, Dueler A/T Revo, Firestone Affinity LH30, Dueller HL and Dueler A/T's on various vehicles I owned. We tried to market ourselves as a less expensive and better quality Michelin. The ploy failed miserably in the real world. Although they make some decent stuff, none of it is at the top like they claim and much of it is smoke & mirror adverts of their "technology" (i.e. -the "dual layer tread" which sucked on my revo tires and performed horribly in the real world). That "technology" claim sold a hell of alot of tires, though.

Goodyear.....ugh.... I just put some Wrangler Silent Armor tires on my father in laws F250 last night. Took a total of 7 tires to get a set that didn't have a crazy amount of run-out......and this is their "showcase" A/T tire. BTW, the only reason I sold him these was because we got 'em cheap due to a design issue with the 265/75-16 lre Kelly Trex tires we would normally have in that price range. After all was said and done it rode smooth and relatively quiet for such an aggressive tire.....time will tell if these will be another Bridgestone Dueler, though. (god I hope not....)

Sorry for the long-windedness of the post but theres alot of things I deal with on a daily basis and some of the things from websites that customers come into my store with blow my mind sometimes. Most people it seems will believe some stuff they read on a website before they believe people who do it for a living.

I should probably delete this [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I forgot the point I was gonna make [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Sorry !

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

I cooperate with the company which tests cars and we had an overall tire test last month. I can say only one thing - buy any tire you want in the range of $100, as long as it has aquaplaning. For me, that's important. I've driven tires without aquaplaning for a week, after I was using aquaplaning for two years now, and the thing is terrible on wet terrain. For me, Goodyear Hydragrip is the perfect choice (app. $150 each), 'cause I drift a lot and join challenges, but anything with aquaplaning is good! Like Uniroyal, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Yokohama, Kumho, Toyo - those are all great stuff.

Comment

I've Autocrossed for quite a few years on street tires (hoosier slicks now), Bridgestones have been great, Yoks are good but not so in the rain. I recently bought a set of wheels that had nearly new Kuhmo ecsta 711's on them, and I really like them for a street tire, they're so cheap I'd get them again for street use. If you don't have to drive in snow, consider those too.
                    My never-again tire would be Falkens from Les Schwab, I dumbly bought some low cost ones for my street car about 5 years ago, they never stay balanced and always have a bad 'bump' at about 70, sucky tires they are.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'll say this again though, I didn't plan on using tirerack to buy them, I was just using them for reviews, and things of that nature.

Comment

Working...
                      X